Sights for an Old Fart? - Can't see them good any more

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rabon

Single-Sixer
I attacked the problem from the other end by opening up the rear sight notch with a slightly wider chainsaw file until I got a little daylight on both sides of the front blade and colored the blade with the most obnoxious orange finger nail polish my wife had. It works pretty good.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Got the "old eyeball blues" too amigo. Have limped along with lampblack on the front sight in sunny conditions but have been thinking of trying the ORH setup myself...Apparently, you get two different apertures so one will go one a .45 Blackhawk, the other should fit my .45/70 Handi Rifle.. :wink:

Dobetown

Bearcat
I have the same problem and have tried a lot of the previous suggestions with some sucess. In addtion to using the Sun, I watch the reflective capabilities of the target material. I have trouble with the shiny ones. All of my favorite using handguns have a flat post front sight and where I could a wider one.

maxpress

Buckeye
get some "shooters glasses" they block one eye more and have a peephole on the other lense. cant remember what article i saw them in but i see them on midway and such. an older writer says he uses them to test guns now that his lamps are going dimmer.

For deer hunting I really like my OM 6.5 forty one mag with the "small" One Hole rear and a pink plastic Magnaport ramp up front. The gun came with them and they give you the confidence that the sights are good very quickly so that you can concentrate on the animal. Often deer will bolt just before the bullet arrives, and you can be watching their ears and eyes at the same time sub consiously maintaining a vivid sight picture.
Green front would be even better. Magnaport has told me that the One Hole sight blade can be fitted into the Anaconda Acro sights for my two four inch Colts. The green plastic complete front sights from them are my next project. I already have one of the "large" blades which should be fine on a four inch for fast work. The same system with a black front sight does not impress me for some reason.

redhawker

Buckeye
Wow! Got the One Ragged Hole sight from Warren Outdoors. Very impressed with it so far. Haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet but I anticipate good things. Thanks for the advise all.

billyb

Bearcat
On my Redhawk, I changed to the V notch rear, and the Gold bead front sight I bought from Ruger, and it worked great. About a 45 yard zero with the bead at the bottom of the notch, and about 125 yard zero with the bead level with the top of the rear notch.
I had lens implants for cataracts 26 years ago, and I do just fine shooting right handed, sighting with my left eye, by turning my head slightly to the right.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
I have a SRH with a 9.5" barrel.

When I scoped it ..... it was just too gangly ....... I could not even grip the factory grip without the gun slipping down ......

Then I got introduced to ORH ........ tried a custom Partridge sight ... tried glow sights .......

THEN I tried the Ruger gold bead .......... BAM!

Painted it black with a laundry pen and I LOVE the combo.

Mine runs the small appeture One Ragged Hole rear and the Ruger gold bead front painted black.

NIRVANA!

Three 44s

Three44s

Single-Sixer
For glasses, I wear a pair of "Transitions" clones.

These are trifocals without lines.

If you are getting new glasses ..... be sure and tell them what you shoot.

My glass guys are all shooters ..... I hope you are so lucky.

As I began shooting with my new pair, I ultimately found that around the lower CENTER of the lens ..... a SWEET spot for my irons.

I concentrate on the front sight ....... nothing else as I close the deal.

You might get a sore neck cranking around to find that sweet spot but the payoff is worth it.

Three 44s