Sighting in my new MKII

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jasperharley

Bearcat
Hi all, I just purchased a NIB MKII 5.5 Bull/Target which was made in 1985. Its my perfect first gun and I am thrilled with the purchase.

So far I have shot seven hundred rounds, and I see consistent groupings about an inch and a half low and two inches left of bull. I have also shot this same exact model (but different actual ) gun at the range with much better accuracy.

So... after searching, the most I can find is the base info provided by ruger. So today I adjusted the sights a little based on the instructions, and things improved nicely, but it was still a fairly flawed and random process.

I am really looking for some advice on how I can know the gun is accurate and I am the reason a shot is not on target. I imagine I need to secure it in a consistent position, do ranges have rests etc that you can use? Do you simply pay the range to do it for you? Should I just keep fiddling but start using distance/grouping data?

Also, what distance should it be sighted in at?

Sorry, still very new to the world of gun ownership and I am bristling with questions. While I served, I have to admit that our weapons were mounted to our wings so not that much hand time.

The guys at my range seem to not be very enthusiastic talkers and I crave information. Is there a book I should buy?

Hawker Man

Bearcat
A book, yes, called "The Pistol Shooters Treasury". This book was recommended to me by a bulls eye shooter at the local range. It is only available from Champions Choice for $8.00.
http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Books-352-2.aspx
It is a very old book, 2nd edition 1973 and out of print. Every chapter was written by a different champion shooter, I still have not finished it but it is a excellent read. It goes into sighting, grip, attitude, stance and everything. Don't worry that it is a old book, all of the information is still valid.

Also look at these targets, they will help you analyze your shots.
As a matter of fact you could print the proper, left or right hand out and shoot them.

B3CorrectLH.jpg

B3CorrectRH.jpg

And last but not least, focus on that front sight ONLY and squeeze the trigger VERY VERY VERY slowly at first.
If you want to get a dialog going, drop me a private message, I'm no expert, but maybe we can both learn something.
Tom

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I'm wondering where you are located?

As to how you are shooting, as long as you have sight adjustments or your pistol, you can align them for you, so that your shots are centered around the bullsyeye, or other point of aim.

The "quality" of your shooting will be shown by how small of a pattern a group of shots make. This varies by distance, of course. There are some championship quality shooter no doubt on this board (and some good story-tellers also) who will announce small groups that may boggle your imagination.

As for me, an old guy, shooting pistols since 1968, but never professed to being "good".... I hold two-handed, standing, at 10 meters, and on a good day can get a 5-shot group into 3 or 4 cm. Sometimes I sit at a bench and have sandbags to rest on, and shoot at 25 m. With my old eyes and iron sights, I'm lucky to keep most shots inside a 14 cm circle. I have shot much smaller groups (about 5 cm) at this range with a "red-dot" sight.

To check the actual accuracy of your gun, you would need a "machine" rest, some are called a Ransom Rest. This will more than likely cost more than your pistol did, but it can hold your gun in a constant position for multiple shots.

I hope I've helped.

Tom

I have indicated measurements in metric, because I sense that may be what you use.

Wobble

Bearcat
There may be those who disagree but handholding a gun using iron sights is a poor way to judge accuracy of a gun.

In my experience, putting a red dot sight on the gun and shooting from sandbags is a much better way to judge the accuracy of the gun, not the shooter.

The problem with iron sights is that you must line up 4 points consistently -- target, front sight, rear sight, and your eye. When you use a red dot sight, you only have to line up 3 points -- target, red dot, your eye. And your eye can move around some, as long as the dot stays on target. Much easier.

Jasperharley

Bearcat
Thanks all, much appreciated. I am located in Baltimore, MD.

Hawker, thanks so much. Old knowledge is awesome, I will grab a copy of the book and no doubt have to make many trips to the range to try it out. With regard to the printed targets, I want to use these, but I want to know that the gun is zeroed in first, otherwise who knows!

With regard to the machine rest (Tom), do ranges have these to rent (sounds complicated and not likely) or will they sight your gun for you?

Also, any thoughts you might have on replacing the stock adjustable sights with one of the aftermarket sight options? Dont want to go red dot (yet).

Thanks again!

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
A sight option to check in to would be the Mk III Hunter sights, with the fiber optic front and V notch rear. You can get them directly from Ruger, although to be honest the sights that are on it are likely to be more precise. The easiest thing to do would be to shoot from a rest. You can get an inexpensive pistol rest pretty reasonable, or even get a front sandbag (or make your own). The key is to get the gun sitting on something firm and stable and shoot some 3-5 shot groups. I'd start at 5 yards, then move to 10, 15, 20 and finally 25.

I think I'm going to order a copy of the book Hawker Man recommended myself...looks pretty good (and for the price you can't beat it).

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I just ordered my copy of "The Pistol Shooter's Treasury" and I'm glad I did...they've only got 10 left. That website has some cool stuff!

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Thanks for the mytargets.com post; I had not seen this and will use. Very helpful! Even has small targets for an air rifle, my son will love it.

Wobble

Bearcat
If you want to go the sandbag route, make your own. I made mine out of tube socks filled with dried beans. Or Walmart sells a nice combo-pair for about $17.

You mentioned you don't want to go red dot right now but you might want to borrow one for a better test of accuracy. I can shoot a much tighter group with the red dot, even at relatively short distances, than with iron sights -- both from sandbags.

Hawker Man

Bearcat
Sand bags are a good way to sight in your pistol. You can also make them from old 25 pound shot bags, perfect and cheep.
Personally I would get it sighted in on the bags, then get to standing, two hand hold shooting, ten or fifteen yards.
Again FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT and squeeeeeeeeeeze that trigger.
Speaking about triggers, in my opinion, the Ruger MK II trigger is terrible. I hope I have not offended anyone. You should look into a Volquartsen sear, it will make a WORLD of difference. I have 5 MK IIs and a Volquartsen sear in only one and the difference is night and day. The plan is to install 4 more, it is a do it your self job if you are mechanically inclined. I suggest if you doubt yourself in any way get a digital camera and take pictures as you take it apart so you can put it back together.
Tom

Jasperharley, put your email in your profile, or email me.

Latest posts