Sig elite 357 ammo in sp101?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

9iron

Bearcat
Has anyone got any experience with sig elite 357 (either fmj or V crown hollow points) in their sp101? I own a 3 inch sp101 in 357, have a Hogue tamer full sized grip on it. So far I've only shot 38's through it, 357 ammo is scarce around here. I was in a lgs yesterday just casually looking and mentioned my difficulty in finding 357 ammo and the clerk told me they had a shipment of sig elite in both fmj and v crown coming in next week, and the prices were quite good. Both the fmj and hollow points push 1400 fps with a 125 grain bullet. At first thought this seems like a light bullet at fast speed and I wonder how the performance and accuracy is. Any experience you can share is appreciated.

hittman

Staff member
Is the caliber of this Sig brand ammo 357 Magnum or 357 Sig?

Can't say that I've ever seen Sig brand ammo before.

9iron

Bearcat
hittman said:

The caliber I'm looking at is 357 magnum, though they do make it in 357 Sig as well as 380,9mm, 40, 45, etc... A quick google search turns up a lot of sellers but little informational reviews beyond the V Crown hollow points in semi autos.

9iron

Bearcat
This is the only video I've come up with that adresses the elite performance ammo in 357 magnum, but you'd hate to base your judgment on just one mans opinion. If the ammo shoots well and is accurate it may serve well as trail carry defense rather than "denim over ballistic gel" defense. That's why I was searching for opinions from revolver guys.

Hope the link to the video below works, wasn't sure how to insert a video here.

https://youtu.be/kCiNHHZtVdw

rangerbob

Buckeye
Sig manufactures their ammo in a new facility in Kentucky. Sierra makes the V-crown bullets to Sig's specifications. All of their V-Crown loadings have an identical fmj loading for training and usually available in 50 round boxes. They are loaded to the same velocity and bullet weight as the V-Crowns. Sig even loads old revolver rounds as the 38 and 44 Special. I don't know why 357 ammo would be hard to find. A cursory check at Sports South showed they have over 8500 boxes in stock by just about every manufacturer. Right now, there is more ammo available than I have seen in the last 20 years, particularly 9mm and 223. Though I have not used any my self, I don't think you will be disappointed as they have entered the ammo business in a big way. Bob!! :D

For trail carry, I like the heavier offerings in .357 mag. As in 158 grs to 200 grs. I have carried 125 gr JSP for trail carry, but only when none of the other was available. I reload now. Where are you located? Good luck!
gramps

9iron

Bearcat
I am in California. I looked in 5 stores, 3 big box stores (like bass pro shops) and 2 local gun shops, and found only hollow points or fmj in 357 mag. The Sig fmj in 357 are $10 a box less than the next competitors box. Nothing you'd want to carry in the woods like a 158 grain jsp was available. I do have one box of Underwood Xtreme Penetrator 357 mag for woods carry, but those are $40 for a box of 20 so I won't be buying too much of that stuff. Just looking to find something for fun shooting that doubles as acceptable for woods carry that won't break the bank. At present I'm using American Eagle 38 special in lead round nose, which isn't so bad but it's not a magnum load.

rangerbob

Buckeye
9iron, its bad that you live in California and don't have access to ammo. I've been reloading mine for the last 52 years and don't buy much factory ammo. That's changed lately with cheap 9 mm and 223 ammo. My usual 357 load is a 158 grain Hornady XTP or Speer soft point over a goodly dose of 300MP or WW-296/H-110. As I previously stated, if you can get the Sig ammo at a good price, don't hesitate, you won't be disappointed. Bob!! 8)

deserttrans

Buckeye
I have used the Sig ammo in three different cal. Not the very best and a long way from the worst. What I shot was fairly accurate and pretty clean.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
hittman said:

I can see some gun clerks getting mixed up when you say Sig 357. I know I was for a while reading this thread. :D :D