Shroud and sleeve?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
In another thread, someone implied that a solid barrel Redhawk is more desirable than "shroud and sleeve"...
What's up with that?
I thought s&s was the solution to a "problem ".
Inquiring minds want to know...

contender

Ruger Guru
Many people think that a barrel with a shroud over them is not as strong as a solid barrel. As long as you do not try & "hot rod" or very hot load them, the shrouded barrels are just fine. AND they are easier to build & adjust the cylinder gap, and align the shroud to the top dead center.
But the solid barrels are also heavier,, which helps tame recoil.

Attachments

• IMAG0421.jpg
    IMAG0421.jpg
    665.2 KB · Views: 119

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
The shroud and sleeve barrels are easier to make and presumably function just as well. The old style was harder to make/assemble as you couldn't just screw in a round barrel and dress it up with an extractor housing. Some people, myself included, think of the older one-piece style as a finer work of art and therefore more valuable. Many, if not most, could care less. But all it takes is two people who feel that way to run up an auction price.

You can make custom barrels from blanks with just a lathe. Turn to size and thread. Twist rates, rifling style etc. That particular setup happened when I decided to prove a handgun could be sub MOA @ 1,000yds. I started with 2 Douglas and decided to try a Pac Nor barrel. Douglas had been my go to for heavy cast bullets. I had 230gr cast going into an inch and a half @ 200yds. The Pac Nor laid 300gr fmj into 3/4" @ 200yds. Then I built a 10' high target stand to dial in for the 134'6" drop @ 1,000yds. I managed 8" using a rest I made with 2x4's and allthread.
I knew that getting into the 45/70 ballpark ballistically it should be easy. I started with 5 different projectiles, 3 powders and neck turned virgin brass and worked from there. This is how it normally looks.

Attachments

• Dan Wesson.jpg
    Dan Wesson.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Johns Phone range stuff 038.jpg
    Johns Phone range stuff 038.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20221217_153119144.jpg
    IMG_20221217_153119144.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
DW's showed just how strong and more accurate the shroud system is. Unless the Ruger version isn't designed properly I see no reason why people would shy away beyond falling for rumors.
The barrel being under tension eliminates the harmonics and minimizes thermal variations. The biggest reason hunters miss an animal completely is that the barrel is hot by the time things are zeroed. Then when they take the shot from a freezing stand the bullet hits a foot or so low. Usually the longer the barrel the more temperature affects it.

Daaaang, I like Bubba Ho-Maid but that ? NOPE.
You ever put 6 shots in 8" at 1,000yds with a handgun??? A handful of quality parts and excruciating load development and it's not a problem. The hardest part was getting the reticle perfectly plumb. A few thousandth's of an inch off adds up quick at extreme distance.

contender

Ruger Guru
I was just re-reading an old Shooting Times magazine today. From 1992. In it,, the writer, (Dick Metcalf) was touting the serious accuracy of handguns. he allowed how most quality made guns when fired from a machine rest were all pretty much a good choice,, out to around 50 yds.
He said after 50 yds,, things got interesting. Due to minor things not as noticeable at closer ranges,, as the distance increased,, so do the accuracy issues.
He allowed how he did a study of the IHMSA winning handguns. He said that is was quite obvious there was a well known stand out in the winners circle.
The Dan Wesson revolver.

Now,, when you realize that to be a winner, it has to perform at 200 meters. A longer distance than many ever attempt to shoot.

And as member "bradshaw" as in IHMSA Champion David Bradshaw likes to say; "Accuracy or the lack of is proved on the firing line."

I own a DW pistol pack in .357. It is missing the patch & belt buckle, but has (4) barrels. Loved them when I handled my first one in the 1970's,, and it took until a few years ago for me to find my own set to own.

When the standard twist rate of 44 mags wouldn't stabilize 330gr bullets going over 1200 fps I just ordered a faster twist barrel blank from Douglas. About an hour on the lathe and Viola.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
You ever put 6 shots in 8" at 1,000yds with a handgun??? A handful of quality parts and excruciating load development and it's not a problem. The hardest part was getting the reticle perfectly plumb. A few thousandth's of an inch off adds up quick at extreme distance.
I do not doubt the gun and extended barrel may be quite the shooter .
My comments were pointed more at the flimsy clamp on B Square mount and short eye relief rifle scope.
Surely must be better ways to get that done.
No comment on 1000 yard shooting with what I assume is a 44mag. I don't see that as the right equipment for that either.

My comments were pointed more at the flimsy clamp on B Square mount and short eye relief rifle scope.
No comment on 1000 yard shooting with what I assume is a 44mag. I don't see that as the right equipment for that either.
It was more of an exercise in if it could be done kind of thing. I don't know of any 40x first focal plane long eye relief scopes with a bubble. The mount is one of the few available for use on a handgun. It also allows a tremendous range of adjustment. Properly set up it is more than capable of good results. Achieving the velocity needed required a little more barrel. I have a much better option for plugging things at 1,000+ yds but it's a rifle. Not a lot of challenge to that though. Some people will never understand pushing an envelope.

Attachments

• IMG_20140220_162733_951.jpg
    IMG_20140220_162733_951.jpg
    979.8 KB · Views: 40
You've probably never ordered barrel blanks with custom cut and twist rates have you. It started as a pissing contest about IF something could be done. Anyone can live off the shelf. I like to build things for off the deep end. Committing unnatural acts with metal.