Show me your cut down Original Flat Top .44 magnums!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
I'm trying to work a deal for an old flat top 44 cut down to 4 5/8". Any one out there have an original flat top .44 magnum or O.M. Super Blackhawk cut down to 4 5/8" or even 5 1/2"? If so lets see these most formidable single action that Ruger never made.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Here's mine. I am the second owner. The work was done by Bowen.

Old Model Flat top, 44 Mag, Shortened Barrel, Ivory Grips

OMBH_FT_Bowen_0272.jpg

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
mrbumps":1koo87ob said:

OMBH_FT_Bowen_0272.jpg
Excellent! That's what I'm talkin' about! I found the most gorgeous set of 1950's sambar stags at a gunshow a couple years ago. $50 which was rediculous. I'm looking for a gun to put them on and chose t a gun like yours. Think I found one. Are those 44 Special cartridges in your picture?

ddd482

Single-Sixer
mrbumps":3171z8ik said:

OMBH_FT_Bowen_0272.jpg

i have a shooter grade i have been thinking of doing that to- if you dont mind, what did it cost? and what did he all do besides cut it down? thanks

G2

Hunter
This O'l Gal has been back to the factory, for a re-do so now I'm thinkin the same thing. to do or not to do?
P1010003modified-1.jpg

REP1954

Blackhawk
mrbumps, thats one nice chopper even with the porting. The grips really set the whole thing off. I really enjoy seeing other peoples personalized single action handguns. Thanks for sharing.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
ddd482":33fs0e4r said:
mrbumps":33fs0e4r said:

Old Model Flat top, l44 Mag, Shortened Barrel, Ivory Grips

OMBH_FT_Bowen_0272.jpg

i have a shooter grade i have been thinking of doing that to- if you dont mind, what did it cost? and what did he all do besides cut it down? thanks

I am the second owner. I paid $700 for the revolver, without the ivory grips. The previous owner had the barrel cut and ported, and action job, reblued, and a pinned in front site blade installed. This gun has the XR3-RED grip frame, but I believe it is original. It's my understanding that the last of the .44 Flat Tops came with this grip frame, but I may be wrong.

Those are .44 Special Rounds. That's all I've ever shot through this revolver!

Axehandle

Buckeye
How about a pair of 5.5 inch 3 screw SBHs... One by Alan Harton with Fishpaw Dall Sheep horn the other by Hamiltion Bowen with Ajax Sambar stag.. :D

010-8.jpg

002-51.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Now you've done it-posted a Super Blackhawk, that is- here's mine:

100_63381.jpg

Three screw, cut to five inches, color case by Doug Turnbull, rosewood grips by Lett.

Shoots mighty fine, as well.

Bob Wright

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Wyatt, here is a 5 1/2 " flat top that someone else had the honor of cutting back. They also added the brass gripframe and SBH hammer. I added the elkhorn grips I made myself, along with the others. The grips aren't perfect, but then again, neither am I. I picked her up a few years ago for under $300.00. It would have been worth double that, if left original, and figured it to be the only way to own a flat top. I liked it anyway :lol: .

IMG_00021.jpg

I was going to have it re-blued, but decided she earned her scars the honest way, and left her as is. Sweet shooter, with even sweeter trigger !

I might add, everyone's pictures are beautifull in this post !!!!!

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
victank1":3ny1reep said:
Wyatt Burp, I have a gun you can put those grips on...HAHHAA
And here they are! from the 50's. The best grain of all my sambar stags with perfect untapered thickness. Actually they are very thin for full bark stags. $50 at a Sacramento gunshow around two years ago. They deserve a Ruger all their own. I'm getting the gun for these grips. Don't make fun of the photo.
08-26-09_18231.jpg
08-26-09_18231.jpg

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
Bob Wright":2sf65xze said:
Now you've done it-posted a Super Blackhawk, that is- here's mine:

100_63381.jpg

Three screw, cut to five inches, color case by Doug Turnbull, rosewood grips by Lett.

Shoots mighty fine, as well.

Bob Wright
This is my second choice if a flat top falls flat. A little shorter barrel for me, tho. All you guys with cut down Super's have really nice guns. Let's see more of these, too!

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
Jeff Hoover":i3pzvkr3 said:
Wyatt, here is a 5 1/2 " flat top that someone else had the honor of cutting back. They also added the brass gripframe and SBH hammer. I added the elkhorn grips I made myself, along with the others. The grips aren't perfect, but then again, neither am I. I picked her up a few years ago for under $300.00. It would have been worth double that, if left original, and figured it to be the only way to own a flat top. I liked it anyway :lol: .

IMG_00021.jpg

I was going to have it re-blued, but decided she earned her scars the honest way, and left her as is. Sweet shooter, with even sweeter trigger !

I might add, everyone's pictures are beautifull in this post !!!!!
That's a great bunch of guns. Beautiful personal touch with your grips. Now I rally have to get that flat top!