Shoulder Holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunboat57

Single-Sixer
I'm looking to get a shoulder holster to carry either my 7.5" Redhawk or my 7.5" Super Blackhawk when I'm out walking. It would go under coat or jacket. I like the idea of a vertical shoulder holster with an off-side tie down. Uncle Mike's Sidekick Vertical Shoulder Holster looks like what I want. And I think I'd need a size 4 based on the description on their website.

Anyone have first hand experience with one of these? I've never used a shoulder holster before but I like the idea of the weight of the revolver pulling up on my belt instead of down. Seems my hips have gotten narrower while my belly got bigger over the last couple decades.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
gunboat57":3l104wz6 said:

Anyone have first hand experience with one of these? I've never used a shoulder holster before but I like the idea of the weight of the revolver pulling up on my belt instead of down. Seems my hips have gotten narrower while my belly got bigger over the last couple decades.

Yessir and all I can say is "Dream on...." :wink: :)

Those big shooters are not comfortable (for me at least) except in an across the chest shoulder rig. Bianchi markets just such a critter and it works beautifully. It comes far closer to what you say you want than anything I can think of.

14258.JPG

I often use mine when I carry either my 8 3/8" S&W 29, my Ruger SBH or Bisley.

The leather holster in the photo is a Bandito. It's a great rig for carrying a large, and especially a scoped, revolver. I use it for my 9.5-in SRH.

tguil

Single-Sixer
I use a Bianchi across the chest holster for my Redhawk and an Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster for my GP 100. The Bianchi is much more comfortable - a little cumbersome under a coat or jacket but it can be done. Usually I wear it over my coat or jacket but under rain gear.

Tom :cool:

gunboat57

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was considering a bandolier type arrangement but I wondered if I could get one to fit me. I'm 6' 5", barrel-chested and measure abot 58 inches around the chest.

With a conventional shoulder holster I figure chest size wouldn't make any big difference.

Hole Shooter

Single-Sixer
Hey Old Judge Creek,

I really like that Bianchi rig in the picture. Looks like what I might need to carry my Super Blackhawk Hunter (7.5" 44 mag) in. Do you know the Bianchi model name or model number so I could find it at their website? I sure would appreciate any info you can provide!
HS

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I wore out a Bianchi shoulder holster, I think the number is X15L carrying my six inch Mod 57. It took a little over thirty years to do it.

I am not going to say it is perfectly comfortable but you do get use to it.

I am not a small person. The Tri-Vertible, by Pistol Packaging, works very well, for me. It's comfortable, very well concealing, and I've got different sizes of rigs that will carry 1911's, Blackhawks, Model 29's, and Redhawks, as well as all the smaller stuff that a person would normally expect to see carried, concealed.

PIX_142.jpg

GEDC0100.jpg

Two things I'll add...Tell them you're larger than normal, and they will cut the webbing, longer. And, the website shows a mesh material over the shoulder. The older ones had a split-leather material that I do prefer. Tell them you want that, and they will use that material.

WAYNO.

contender

Ruger Guru
Several of the above rigs are great,, but if you want the cadillac of them all,, get a Barranti cross chest type. Get sixshot to show off his pics of his two. I have seen them & they are THE best I've ever seen. Bianchi makes a very good one shown above,, as do a few others.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
My son carries a mod 29 with 8 3/8 barrel in an X15 under a sports jacket. cors, it helps that he is 6' 6", and 390 pds. It is a verticle drop, leather, break front.

nn

Single-Sixer
A six inch barreled revolver sticks out below a jacket when in a shoulder holster. You'd have to wear a car coat at least.

sebtool

Blackhawk
Rob Leahy at Simply Rugged makes a chest carry rig that may be something for you to look at. As per the pics on his site, it looks like he's a pretty fair sized fellow himself, and swears it's extremely comfortable.
Simplyrugged.com
I've got 1 of his Sourdough pancake holsters for my SP101, and it works. Pricing is probably much more reasonable than a Bianchi type holster as well, and the quality is very good.

Also, Earl Southard at Trailmaster Holsters makes rigs specifically for Redhawks, Supers, Alaskans, & GP100s. I think he could fix you up too.
No website, 1 man shop, good guy to deal with. Very reasonable - lotta bang for the buck, has listings on Gunbroker and ebay under trailmaster.

Earl Southard, Owner/Operator
Trailmaster Holsters
(406) 452-1495
[email protected]
[URL=http://s359.photobucket.com/al...ebtool/Ruger 357s/th_SP101nGP100005.jpg[/img][/url]

Pics ain't much, but better than nothing! They really don't do either holster justice - I'll have to work on that. :oops:

tguil

Single-Sixer
Hole Shooter":1qr26u6q said:
Hey Old Judge Creek,

I really like that Bianchi rig in the picture. Looks like what I might need to carry my Super Blackhawk Hunter (7.5" 44 mag) in. Do you know the Bianchi model name or model number so I could find it at their website? I sure would appreciate any info you can provide!
HS

Here you go:

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Pro ... delID=4100

Available at Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=815131

It's relatively inexpensive and it works

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
tguil":2pj6d16v said:
Hole Shooter":2pj6d16v said:
Hey Old Judge Creek,

HS

Here you go:

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Pro ... delID=4100

Available at Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=815131

It's relatively inexpensive and it works

Thanks, tguil... ya saved me from chasing down the requested info. :)

I owe ya one, Pard :wink:

Hole Shooter

Single-Sixer
Hey Old Judge Creek,

Many thanks to you sir for posting the picture. Pictures really are worth a thousand words. Happy New Year!
HS