Should you stand or sit while reloading?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
I am in the process of setting up my first reloading station. I am having trouble deciding if I should set myself up with a bench that requires me to stand, in order to operate all of the controls, or if I should make a lower bench that would work best while in a seated position.

Is one way going to be generally better than the other? I am going to be loading lower volumes of ammo, for the most part. I'll be making mostly revolver calibers. I am going to "cut my teeth" with a Lee single stage press with plans to add the Lee turret press in the near future.

My dad loads with the same set-up that I have just mentioned. So, I can get a ton of good advice from him (and I will). However, I respect the opinions of others who are wise about these things. I would like to hear what you have to say. If 99% of you guys think that it would be best to stand then I won't be setting up a seated-station and vice versa. Thanks in advance for your input.

Also, feel free to add any extra information that may be helpful to a guy who is just getting started in reloading if you would like. Thanks again.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
contender,

Thanks for your response. I have always been a big supporter of the old "why stand when you can sit" saying. Something tells me that I'm really going to like the whole reloading scene. I asked my dad why he started out using the slow single stage type of press. He told me that they work well for beginers due to the way that they are slow and simple. I guess people are less prone to making mistakes, when starting out, while using this type. I don't mind spending some serious time at my new station. I'm actually looking forward to all of the tinkering around at my new "hide-out."

Anyway, let's hear some more ideas. I can't wait to get started with all of this. Now, if I could only find some dies for a good price.

winchesterbilly

Bearcat
I agree with Comtender. My set up is at 38". At this height I can stand and also sit on a stool, The best of both worlds. You will find that you will eb there long enough to want to change positions. As far as cutting your teeth it sounds like you have a good game plan. I did it the same way. I still load rifle rounds on my single stage, not to bad for 20 rnds at a time. But handgun rnds at 50 a box get old fast on the single stage. The Lee turret is a great setup. I really like this press. Yes it isn't as nice as a dillon. But it works great. And changing calibers??? HEAVEN!!!!!!! :wink:

45flattop

Single-Sixer
+1 on Contender's position, lots less tiring on the back and legs to sit,
especially when you're doing a large batch at once.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Ruger Packer":2pkanxws said:
I do a little of both. I built my bench for standing, but found a stool with back on it that was adjustable, both, in height and the tension on the back.

Bench top at the standard 30". I got like an old secretary chair with casters and fully adjustable height and spring back. I can move back and forth with ease. :D

chair.jpg

...Jimbo

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I like my bench at a height that is comfortable for standing. For me that is between about my waist and neck. Nice thing about this height is I can sit in a chair and things are just below eye level. I can see what my press is doing without bending over and twisted my neck.

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
I do all of my loading while sitting. If you plan on loading in quantity, you will find that this is the way to go. No need to make it harder on yourself.

Hammer

Single-Sixer

I have multiple benches with reloading presses setup -- mostly Dillons.

Some of the benches are setup for standing use and some for sitting use.

Would not have guessed it in advance, but find that I use the ones setup for standing by far most of the time.

Again, would not have predicted this and it was not part of a plan, have raised most of the ones at the shorter benches using the Dillon strong mount press stands.

Have one Dillon that is immediately next to the inside shooting bench and it remains setup for use while sitting. In fact, I can shoot one, reload one, shoot the same case again, reload it again, and fire a five-shot group with the same piece of brass in under a minute and never get out of my shooting chair. Have a Harrelson Precision benchrest powder measure and a case trim tool right there. With permanently setup chronographs, helps in load development.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... s/469644/1

WESHOOT2

Hunter
My 'single-stage' bench (wearing three presses) is at standing height; my production bench is at chair height (but I've worn holes in the floor where the legs sit).

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
My progressive is set up for standing. That way I can see the powder amount in each case as I set the bullet on the case. I do have a tall stool I can use, but I prefer standing do to a bad back.

Dana

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I'd build it for standing use and maybe get a barstool for sitting operation and general lounging around the bench afterwards with a "Jack on the rocks" :wink: ....(I suppose in another decade I'll figure out a method for handloading while lying down! :lol:)

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
Interesting...some guys feel that sitting helps their back pain while others feel that standing feels better on thier backs. I am a massotherapists. So, I am trying to evaluate the issue of body mechanics as it pertains to reloading. I guess it would be safe to say that bench height is subjective in nature. Thank you for pointing this fact out, guys.

There have been a ton of good comments posted on this topic. Here is what I am thinking I'll do first: I'm thinking that I will start with a low bench with my fully adjustable computer-desk chair. I'll try it out for a while. Then, I'll stack something on top of the bench that would raise the height of my press so that I can try the standing position. I'll just end up going with which ever one feels the best.

I would have guessed that there would have been one position that worked best for most people. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. I asked my dad what he thought and he said, "standing could be safer in the sense that you are less likely to get sleepy while standing as compared to sitting in a comfy chair." I kind of see his point but think it would be ultimately best if I could change positions, if possible, just to keep my body from "freezing" in one position for too long.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Though my bench is taller than a regular desk, it's not quite tall enough to stand straight up and load: gotta lean down a bit. An old back injury makes doing that uncomfortable to painful during extended sessions, so I use a stool that allows me to "park me bum" on something solid, while still supporting some weight on the legs so I can be up and down easily.

I find this generally more comfortable than when I used to load at a desk while sitting in a chair...

Rick C

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
Rick,

Thanks for the insight. There have been several "votes" for a hybrid seated/standing position, now. This has got me thinking....

Perhaps some of us are more comfortable at a bar stool rather than sitting at a work chair or standing. Now we're talking my language. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why change what you're used to doing, right?