Should I get a .17HMR?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
Question 1 (multipart)
I have a 10/22. I have been invited to shoot a bunch of ground squirrels this coming spring. I should be able to hit them out to 100 yds with the 10/22.

Would I gain anything by going to a .17HMR?

Distance?
Accuracy?
Power?

Question 2 (also multipart)

Does any one have experience with the Marlin 70710?
The Savage 96703?
or the Savage 96700?

Are they good, accurate, reliable?
Is there a rifle that's better, in the same price range?

If it is decided that I need the .17, which of the above should I get?

Sorry, I can't afford or justify a new Ruger bolt gun at this time.

Thanks for the help.
DM

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I have a 1022 and a Marlin 917V in .17HMR. No comparison at 100 meters/yards. At least for me. the Marlin, bought new, including scope - have less than $250 invested and it shoots 3/4" 5-shot groups from the bench all day at 100 meters. when I try the same thing with my 1022, my groups open up to 3 or 4 inches, once I get the scope adjusted. YMMV, but that's what it does for me. the .17HMR shoots flat enough, no scope adjustment is needed.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have both a 10/22 custom built that's deadly out to 100 yds,, and I also have a 17 HMR. I have to hunt varmits sometimes for a living.
Get the 17 HMR & don't look back.

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
I have a Savage 17 HMR (stainless with the Accutrigger). I had problems with accuracy using ballistic tip ammo. I found the only ammo that would group satisfactory with was 20 grain XTP. I used a Lead Sled for sighting and was able to get 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards with the XTP. I spoke to several other people who have the same gun and the had the same experience. With that said, I took about 10 ground hogs this past summer with this gun. I took out several at 140 yards, with the longest kill at 205 yards (which was accurately measured with planting wheel). I was suprised that the bullet had energy at that distance. Guess It was a lucky shot!

I purchased a 77/22 in 22 Hornet and used it the rest of the summer for groundhog hunting. It grouped ballistic tip factory ammo much better. The more I shot that gun the more I liked it. Every hog I shot was dead as soon as it was hit. The longest shot was 150 yards.

wndrbob

Bearcat
Hey just buy one. I have a Savage 93r17 SS with a Sharp Shooters Supply target/match trigger ( original was really bad) with 3.5 - 10 Leupold scope it is one of my favorite guns. I use it for squirrel irradication on my farm in SC and its great 150 yds on the little pains is no problem. I use balistic tipped Federal Premium ammo can shoot 1.5" group from the rest in my stand with no problem. So by all means go for it.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
A local shop has a 77/17hmr boat paddle/blue on clearance NIB for $350. I'm hoping it will be sold next time I go in, or it will likely ride home with me. All my buddies say great things about 17hmr.