Should I D&T an OM 44?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Brother_Love

Single-Sixer
I have a OM 44 listed in classifieds. The reason I am trying to sell is because I cannot hit with it anymore and I was a good shooter in the past. I have tried every kind of glasses, merit disc, peep rear blade or anything else recommended to me.

I have decided a scoped 44 handgun is the way for me to go. I shot one (not mine) at the range a couple of weeks ago and I can hit with it, very accurate at 100 yds.

Should I D&T the OM or should I trade it for a NM with scope rings? I like the OM action trigger pull much better but I do hate to drill a hole in that nice old model as well.

If I do decide to trade I have another decision to make, SA or DA. Or maybe get a Marlin 44 lever action?

Choices, choices!?

Thanks, Malcolm

DGW1949

Hunter
If I was in a simular situation, I'd get myself a good rifle and learn to use it well.

Never had any use for a scoped handgun. To me, they give-up the utility which one needs in a sidearm....but the resulting trade-off still aint as usefull as having a good rifle. Then there's there's the reliability aspect....which adding a glass optic surely compromises.
But that's just me. I'm a real-basic, no-frills kind of guy. That, and I limit my pistol shooting to about 25 yds or so anyway.

On the other hand, if you truly like your present revolver, but can't hit with it, it aint doing you much good as-is. So with that in mind, it's up to you what to do from there.

Good luck in your endevors.

DGW

JMHO

I'd never D&T an Old Model . . . just because.

If I felt the need for a 'scoped single-action, I'd get a New Model for that application.

I do have a 'scoped 10" Maximum, but even on that one I used a "no D&T" mount.

:D

contender

Ruger Guru
If you want to keep that OM,,, I'd opt for a NO drill & tap mount assy. No way I'd ever D&T any OM Ruger. Heck,, or even any NM Ruger either!

Axehandle

Buckeye
Checked out your OM.... I'd never D&T that thing... I am holding a 10 inch OM 357 and a 6.5 OM FT 44 that have D&T disfiguring... Check out the pics below. You can repair them but you can never go back to original...
What I find really helps me is a better rear sight... The Bowen target rear is my favorite... Then thoroughly black the front... You will be amazed at what a difference it can make to old eyes...
002-54.jpg

005-25.jpg

Brother_Love

Single-Sixer
Thanks, I will not. I may have found a solution. Someone wrote and said to try a wide width sight blade. I have an extra blade so I am filing the notch a little wider to show a little more light on each side. Who knows, simple as it sounds, it may work.

Malcolm

Rainman

Blackhawk
Ever thought about Lasik eye surgery? I did it a year ago and it's like being 20 again for seeing distance. I was 20/70 before and now 20/20 & 20/25!

It's great being able to shoot iron sights again because I just don't like a scope in the mountains.

Dan

Dale53

Blackhawk
The prejudice against optical sights is almost laughable if it weren't for the fact that most who express opinions on what the OP should do maybe do not have the serious vision problems he does.

I have serious vision problems. Yet, I have pretty much regained the skill with a handgun that I exhibited when I was shooting competitively at the highest level with the use of a Red Dot sight.

No, the handgun is not quite as "handy" as when it had iron sights. For those that like to hit what they are shooting at, optical sights are often the only solution for diminished vision.

ALL of my deer have been taken with handguns. I used rather large handguns and a cross chest carry. They were absolutely comfortable and totally accessible. Could I make a 1/2 second draw? No, but I had all of the speed I needed for hunting. I am absolutely deadly with this combination to 125 yards by real world tests (using field positions). In fact, in the woods areas that I hunted, I considered the scoped handgun to be a SUPERIOR game getter (in the hands of someone who can shoot, of course).

Regarding the drilling and tapping of a revolver. If the gun has high value as a collectible, obviously, that would not make economic sense. However, if it is a $500.00 handgun, the if you need to, for goodness sake, drill and tap it. Nearly all new Smiths are drilled and tapped and a real boon it is to those of use who need or prefer optical sights.

It goes without saying that it should be done in a professional manner. No off center screws, etc. But other than that or a potential serious reduction of value problem, I would NOT hesitate to do it. I truly love fine firearms but they are NOT the Mona Lisa, guys. They make MILLIONS of them - they are TOOLS.

Just my opinion, of course...

Dale53

DGW1949

Hunter
Yeah, a wider rear notch may help a lot. Just be certain that you look THROUGH it, not AT it. Meaning that nobody, not even a 20 year old, can focus on more than one distance at a time...so focus on the front sight and don't worry about everything else being blurry...'cause it will be.

In other words.....
It's the front sight that tells ya where the bullet will hit. So stay focused on it, and place it where you want to hit the target-blur, while looking through the rear sight blur.

That sounds easier than it is though.....so it takes a lot of practice. That's because our natural self wants to focus on the target, which is the wrong thing to do....and a real good way to score a miss.

Hope this helps.

DGW

Brother_Love

Single-Sixer
Thanks again. I like the red dots too. I have one a Ruger 22 auto pistol and it is "dead on" accurate.

What makes this so irritating is that I used to be able to shoot. I was on the police pistol team (placed several times), IHMSA with open sights and lots of target shooting.

But that is one of the things we face when age, adapt or just quit. I ain't ready to quit yet.

I may just continue to try to sell the OM and get another handgun set up for scope mounting. I have been looking at Ruger catalogs today checking out options.

Malcolm