Should I buy ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Checking various web sites like I do every morning I came across this item. Ruger Single Six 6 1/2 in blue convertable 22. comes with 22wmr cyl. only.It has a crazy grip but that can be changed.Its not to far from me so i,m going to check it out saturday they are holding it for me. Price is $300 serial # ending 3623 if that helps. All comments are welcome. Thanks, dusterman
7228-1.jpg

Quietdood

Bearcat
I don't really know much about guns but from what I'm slowly learning mostly here. But you said all comments welcome.

I like the gun and the price but those grips don't do it any aesthetic justice -- ugly.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Dusterman":1sfbnkcd said:
serial # ending 3623 if that helps.

The last part of the SN doesn't help much. The first part would. Whether it is a prefixed gun, and if not, whether it may be early enough to have the XR3 grip frame. It is not Magnum marked, so assume it is a later XR3-RED. Value with proper grips depends a little on exact vintage but probably in the $350-$375 range. Grips could be found for about $25-40 and maybe the monsters sold for $25.

DGW1949

Hunter
Just looking at the photo....
Either it's been converted, or the hammer is sitting on the safety-notch, or the sear-edge of the trigger is sheared off.

It also looks like that big ole grip is held on by a screw in the bottom, which might mean that the grip frame has been drilled.

Them might be some things that you'd want to check before plunking down your money.

Hope this helps.

DGW

Lee Martin

Hunter
The screw goes into an adaptor that clips over the bottom edge of the frame. That may leave a mark or two, but the screw itself doesn't contact the backstrap.

Trebor Snave

Bearcat
Hogue grips are attached by a "stirrup" that fits over the pins that are already in place on the grip frame. No drilling is necessary, and it's a very secure attachment.

Doh! Beat out by Lee!

blkhawk

Bearcat
I'd say if it checks out ok go for it. I like Hogue grips like those but I'll have to agree, that set looks a bit too much (big) for the pistol.

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
OK so I went to look at wait I mean buy this 22 today.Got to the store talked to sales person when he handed me the gun as funkey as those grips look they were actually quite comfortable and seemed to fit the gun quite well.looking it over more there is some blueing missing from the tip of the barrel, along the ejector housing and the usual ring on the cyl. but other wise it is in very good shape.I gladly paid my $300 + tax and dros and can't wait to pick it up after the CA. 10 day wait. :roll: . Also I do have the full serial # I did check the Ruger web site but was not sure where this fit in if any body could help that would be great, the # is D503623 thanks, dusterman

Hey, that's one of the "duplicate" guns ("D" in number) made in 1967 or 1968. Relatively scarce gun. Call Ruger on Tuesday and check it out at (603)865-2424. They will tell you the "shipped configuration" model number and the ship date. If you ask nice, they will send you a FREE letter confirming this info.

Congratulations!

:D

americal

Hunter
WOW :!: the D makes big difference 8) WMG is right always need first numbers :) you may have got real lucky 8) let us know what factory says :D

308longdistance

Blackhawk
RENE info:

RSSMX - 3,400 made, scarce gun. 1968

Does it have the 22lr or the 22mag cylinder in it?
OM22cylinders.jpg

Nice find, looks to be in pretty good shape also.

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Thanks for your input, your info makes me real happy I went and bought this 22. It was advertised as a WMR and comes only with that cyl, thing is when I checked it out everything worked fine I even took out the cyl but can,t remember what it looked like :oops: well I get to pick it up on the 15th or after so I will post more info and pics (smaller) thanks for the help and now I really can,t wait to pick it up thanks, dusterman :D

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Finely got a hold of someone in records and the person I talked to told me this 22 was MFG in DEC. 1964 8) and yes it is a duplicate but could not tell me why Ruger did this but thats ok some info is better than none.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Ruger is usually pretty good with info. In this case, I think you got some mixed info. The MFG date of 1964 you received would be for a Super Single-Six with SN 503623 (no D).

The Single-Six didn't reach SN 503623 until 1968. In 1964 Ruger introduced the New Super Single-Six and assigned SN block 500,000. 4 years later the Single-Six SN's finally caught up to the 500,000 block of numbers assigned to the Super Single-Six, and about 50K Single-Six guns were produced with the same SNs as the Supers. By this time the Government had mandated that each firearm at each individual manufacturer had to have it's own unique SN, not just a different model designation. To comply with Gov. Regs. the Single-Six guns with "Duplicate" SNs were stamped with a "D" and the SNs were jumped to the 800,000 block, soon after the prefix numbers started to appear.

Thats pretty much how I understand it. :D

Sounds right. According to RENE all is as explained above. The 80,000 series started in 1968 and the prefixed serial numbers began to show up in 1969 . . . 20- for the "fixed-sighted" Single-Sixes, and 60- for the adjustable-sighted Super Single-Sixes.

cgb

Bearcat
I just picked up a flat top single six myself. Only has the magnum cylinder. Got my eye on a friends single six also, and trying to work out a deal. Congrats on the buy. I've always been a sucker for single actions.

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Well I finally picked up my new to me 22 and upon closer inspection it has the LR cyl :D I,m glad for that because it makes it chaper to shoot now all I need to do is get the right grips for it, any suggestions would be appreciated I was thinking Ivory might look nice :?: .It did also come with a nice Ruger label soft case. It operates very smoothly and has a light trigger pull I,m happy with this purchase and can't wait to shoot it, dusterman
0917091322-1.jpg

0917091325-1.jpg

0917091323-1.jpg

0917091259-1.jpg

Nice buy.

Congratulations.

Your nice gun deserves at least a set of original "black eagle" walnut grips. You can probably obtain a set with a "want to buy" in the classifieds here.