Should I buy a 2nd P89?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ruger1963

Bearcat
I already have a P89 (blued), a stainless P95, a blued P94. I have around 18 10 and 15 round factory mags that are shared among all my P-Series pistols and my PC9 carbine.

A stainless P89 has caught my eye in a local shop. It already has the Hogue grips on it. It is described as "like new" and I tend to agree after a close inspection. It's a tad high @ $339.00, but that's with case, 2 factory ten rounders, and the original grips along with the Hogue aftermarkets.

I don't "need" another P89, but they're probably my favorite Ruger Auto. They're getting hard to find in new or like new condition.

I have 3 Russian SKS rifles, 2 Mini 14's, a Mini 30. I've got 4 shotguns, too, along with a Glock 19 and a few .22 rifles. I have pretty much all of my bases covered collection-wise. I had an AR-15 that I didn't like. It shot decent enough groups but it just wasn't for me and I felt like a wanna-be with it slung over my shoulder. I have a lot of friends that have them and love them- I don't. I shot a friend's AK-47 long enough to learn that they are not for me either.

Can someone suggest something I might be overlooking or should I give in to my P89 lust?

ChingChingPow

Bearcat
I'd at least offer less but if it's within your budget and it's something you want, why not? You won't be making any profit off of it in the foreseeable future but if it's a keeper, that isn't an issue is it?

ruger1963

Bearcat
You're right, but I keep telling myself I really don't "need" another pistol that I already have. I really like the P89's, though!

I don't hunt anything but an occassional coyote, so a hunting rifle or another shotgun does me no good. I don't want to spend a whole bunch of $ regardless of what i choose to buy.

I am a 9mm fan and I don't really want to pay a bunch of cash stocking up on another caliber. Otherwise, I would likely buy a P90.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I would.
Like you I consolidated to 9mm and have quite a few.
But only one of each model, Glock 19, Walther, Couple of Smiths,
and only one p89.
IF I could fine one $350 or less, stainless, in like new shape I am jumping on it.
They are getting harder to find, and in my opinion are the sturdiest
semi handguns ever built. They won't make them like that anymore, it cost too much to build them.

If you have the money then buy it.

The deciding factor is your words...

"they are probably my favorite Ruger Auto"

I don't think there is anything wrong with owning two or three or four of the same type gun... If all else fails you've got spare parts.

ruger1963

Bearcat
I've considered the spare parts aspect, too.

I still haven't made up my mind, but I can't help but feel that the true value P89's have will come to light now that they're no longer produced.

I'm not implying that they will become a highly collectable or high dollar gun, but they will be harder to find and will not get any cheaper.

ruger1963

Bearcat
gatorhugger":llvn9tpm said:
I would.
Like you I consolidated to 9mm and have quite a few.
But only one of each model, Glock 19, Walther, Couple of Smiths,
and only one p89.
IF I could fine one $350 or less, stainless, in like new shape I am jumping on it.
They are getting harder to find, and in my opinion are the sturdiest
semi handguns ever built. They won't make them like that anymore, it cost too much to build them.

Thanks for the post. You think a lot like me from the sounds of it!

jack76590

Bearcat
About 6 months ago I bought a stainless P89 for $250 plus tax and transfer fee in SE Pa. The gun itself looks close to new in that you really had to look to find any wear. But the two 10 round mags looked well used. I suspect gun came with regular capacity mags, that were traded off.

Anyhow just as point of comparison.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
I passed up on one for $336 used, but like new. Gander Mt. had a new one for $500, which is way too high. I really like my p95 and don't see the need for another ruger p series pistol. I guess If I where you I'd get something else that had better resale value. I would buy some other pistols just to get experience with different guns. Beretta 92 FS are awesome, and easy to sell. I bought a new one for $550 and shot it for a couple of months and then sold it for $525. To me that's a great way to get firearm experience without breaking the bank.

ruger1963

Bearcat
jack76590":u4m39523 said:
About 6 months ago I bought a stainless P89 for $250 plus tax and transfer fee in SE Pa. The gun itself looks close to new in that you really had to look to find any wear. But the two 10 round mags looked well used. I suspect gun came with regular capacity mags, that were traded off.

Anyhow just as point of comparison.

I got him to come down to $325.00 if I decide to get it. I actually asked if he'd throw in a factory 15 rounder and he countered with a lower price.

The mags with this one look as nice as the gun.

I am going to a gun show on Saturday. If nothing strikes my fancy there, I might pick the P89 up.

ruger1963

Bearcat
pistolpete":9xn7purf said:
I passed up on one for $336 used, but like new. Gander Mt. had a new one for $500, which is way too high. I really like my p95 and don't see the need for another ruger p series pistol. I guess If I where you I'd get something else that had better resale value. I would buy some other pistols just to get experience with different guns. Beretta 92 FS are awesome, and easy to sell. I bought a new one for $550 and shot it for a couple of months and then sold it for $525. To me that's a great way to get firearm experience without breaking the bank.

Good points...

I have experimented with a lot of guns and have determined that I like the P-Series auto's enough to have more than one. You're right about them not holding their value as well as some other brands, but I don't think this will continue to be the case with the P89's, though. They don't make them any longer and they have a bit of a following now & I think that will always be the case.

I do like the looks of the 92 FS; that's for sure. The only problem would be that I am the kind of guy who likes having a bunch of accessories, magazines, holsters, etc, for my stuff. That would enhance the cost of owning one quite a bit.

Mike J

Hunter
I think I remember COFFEEPOT posting about that once Gatorhugger. IIRC the P-89 is stronger than any other Ruger 9mm. Ya'all can correct me if I'm wrong.
ruger 1963-If you want another P-89 & can afford it I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't buy it. I have never really concerned myself about resell value on a firearm but unless I just decide I really don't like something I tend to just keep them.

meanc

Single-Sixer
I don't understand the idea that the Ruger P-series' don't hold their value.

I've purchased close to 15 different P-series pistols in the past 20years. Some I had for almost 20 years, some for only a couple.

In every instance of the 15 or so I've sold, I've always gotten as much or more than I paid for them.

Now the 5 or so Glocks I've sold, not one was able to bring in what I paid for it.

Go figure.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
The P89 is a great pistol-far be it from me to preclude directing your disposable income elsewhere! While not a "need" (since you already have your blued P89, P94 and P95), it certainly is a "nice to have" and there's certainly nothing wrong with having both a blued and a stainless P89. While they're anything but rare (I believe over 1,000,000 P85/P85 Mk II/P89 pistols were produced from 1987 through 2007), I haven't really noticed a lot of them surfacing on the used gun market-it would seem that those of us who have them appreciate them, and are disinclined to frequently trade or sell them.

So-it sounds like you've found an excellent one, albeit at a slightly high price. I'd try negotiating a bit further, and go for it.

Value wise, Ruger P-Series guns have never commanded the respect/pricing that I believe that they're deserving of. This is probably due to a combination of factors, such as the relatively high numbers of the guns produced, their low initial buy-in price, and their marketing as an "everyman" sort of utilitarian firearm tool.

While I own and have owned other far more expensive handguns, I am exceptionally pleased with my P89. Operationally (in terms of durability, reliability, and accuracy) they're competitive with other far more expensive combat handguns, and, surprisingly, I actually find their ergonomics to be pretty decent as well (especially with the later production safety levers). While I'm a bit surprised that Ruger never incorporated grasping grooves on the slide (they were on at least one of the final prototype P85s whose picture was provided to the media), actual slide manipulations (even when the gun {or one's hands} are wet) are accomplished easily.

I think that a strong argument can be made for the HK P30/P30L being the most ergonomic (and perhaps desirable) of the current crop of DA/SA combat handguns, and one has faired fairly well under the long-term (50K+ rounds expended to date) testing of Todd Green at www.pistol-training.com, a P30 costs around $800 (and that's a strongly discounted price at discount HK stocking dealers)-but operationally I doubt that it represents much more than an incrimental improvement over a P89 (and with the dollars saved in the purchase price, the saved money can be well invested in training/practice/competition, further minimizing the real-world difference).

If you're open to .45 ACP, you also might want to consider getting a new, still very much in production P90 or KP90, which would give you essentially the same platform/ergonomics that you're used to in a different caliber. But there's nothing wrong with going with the KP89 you've found either...

Best, Jon

ruger1963

Bearcat
meanc":10i90w41 said:
I don't understand the idea that the Ruger P-series' don't hold their value.

I've purchased close to 15 different P-series pistols in the past 20years. Some I had for almost 20 years, some for only a couple.

In every instance of the 15 or so I've sold, I've always gotten as much or more than I paid for them.

Now the 5 or so Glocks I've sold, not one was able to bring in what I paid for it.

Go figure.

That's good to know that you did well trading or selling your Rugers. I just don't see me getting rid of any of mine since I like them that much. It's good to know that if I ever get in a $ jam, I could sell them for at least what I have in them.

ruger1963

Bearcat
P94/GP100":20n962cg said:
The P89 is a great pistol-far be it from me to preclude directing your disposable income elsewhere! While not a "need" (since you already have your blued P89, P94 and P95), it certainly is a "nice to have" and there's certainly nothing wrong with having both a blued and a stainless P89. While they're anything but rare (I believe over 1,000,000 P85/P85 Mk II/P89 pistols were produced from 1987 through 2007), I haven't really noticed a lot of them surfacing on the used gun market-it would seem that those of us who have them appreciate them, and are disinclined to frequently trade or sell them.

So-it sounds like you've found an excellent one, albeit at a slightly high price. I'd try negotiating a bit further, and go for it.

Value wise, Ruger P-Series guns have never commanded the respect/pricing that I believe that they're deserving of. This is probably due to a combination of factors, such as the relatively high numbers of the guns produced, their low initial buy-in price, and their marketing as an "everyman" sort of utilitarian firearm tool.

While I own and have owned other far more expensive handguns, I am exceptionally pleased with my P89. Operationally (in terms of durability, reliability, and accuracy) they're competitive with other far more expensive combat handguns, and, surprisingly, I actually find their ergonomics to be pretty decent as well (especially with the later production safety levers). While I'm a bit surprised that Ruger never incorporated grasping grooves on the slide (they were on at least one of the final prototype P85s whose picture was provided to the media), actual slide manipulations (even when the gun {or one's hands} are wet) are accomplished easily.

I think that a strong argument can be made for the HK P30/P30L being the most ergonomic (and perhaps desirable) of the current crop of DA/SA combat handguns, and one has faired fairly well under the long-term (50K+ rounds expended to date) testing of Todd Green at www.pistol-training.com, a P30 costs around $800 (and that's a strongly discounted price at discount HK stocking dealers)-but operationally I doubt that it represents much more than an incrimental improvement over a P89 (and with the dollars saved in the purchase price, the saved money can be well invested in training/practice/competition, further minimizing the real-world difference).

If you're open to .45 ACP, you also might want to consider getting a new, still very much in production P90 or KP90, which would give you essentially the same platform/ergonomics that you're used to in a different caliber. But there's nothing wrong with going with the KP89 you've found either...

Best, Jon

I have been tempted many times to pick up a P-90. I just stocked up on so much 9mm that I don't really want to go with another caliber.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Ruger 1963,
No offense intended, but find this thread amusing.

Ya love the P89, ya talked the price down....
of course ...GO FOR IT! :)

I own 2 P-series...A P91,and a P95.

{gatorhugger,The P-95 rocks, can handle the ass kicking factory loads}

RUGER1963,
Others can detail the resale value thing.
My Rugers, never a problem...as will never sell!

ruger1963

Bearcat
GhosT":37vbfcam said:
Ruger 1963,
No offense intended, but find this thread amusing.

Ya love the P89, ya talked the price down....
of course ...GO FOR IT! :)

I own 2 P-series...A P91,and a P95.

{gatorhugger,The P-95 rocks, can handle the ass kicking factory loads}

RUGER1963,
Others can detail the resale value thing.
My Rugers, never a problem...as will never sell!

<<<I am going to a gun show on Saturday. If nothing strikes my fancy there, I might pick the P89 up.>>>

No offense taken and I am glad I was able to amuse you. Please note the above quote from me taken from an earlier post in this thread. That is still the plan.

I admit that I am ambivalent about picking up another P89 since I already have one. It's not a lot of $ compared to other guns, but it is when it is one that I don't really "need" and fills no real niche.

Regardless, I plan on getting it this week. Like you, I would likely never get rid of it and I really do like the looks of it.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
ruger1963":azu67ks7 said:
I have been tempted many times to pick up a P-90. I just stocked up on so much 9mm that I don't really want to go with another caliber.

Ruger1963, yield to temptation.

You have the 9mm. The P90 is better. I know it's another caliber but it's worth it. Of the 3 I have, P85, P91 & P90, the P90 is the most accurate, has the best trigger (lighter & smoother) AND with the lower capacity magazines you won't be running as much ammo thru it anyway. :wink:

My P90 impresses even 1911 fans.

JMO & YMMV of course.