should i bury my shotgun invites?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bobski

Hunter
i thought id just toss this out for all to see to help me move forward. as many know, i offer my range to all ruger members twice a year. april and oct. 99% of RF go to the shoot in NC for rifle and pistol. its been a huge success.
on the other hand, the shotgun shoot never really got off the ground. arky and gso were the only ones to attend, and after 3 times, gso has fallen off the RF map. i havent heard from him in years, leaving arky the only one who has faithfully attended. he drives from texarkana to west plains mo twice a year.
not much i can do since ive done all i can to be neighborly and hospitable for 10 years now. and ive given up posting the program here for about 5+ years. yet, i still invite RF in small little ways.
i feel for arky, since 99.9% of those that do come, come from other websites with no real ruger interests. thus the reason my shoots are no longer called ruger meets, just vanzant meets. I keep trying for arkys sake.
small attendance hurts everyone. some people commit based on a good crowd. but people cancel at the last minute for 100 reasons. nothing i can do. some just come to shoot. perfect! but the most important aspect that i have always desired was to find those that would come solely to visit sarah and me. its a hard sell.
anyway...for some reason i keep hoping new eyes would see this meet as a way to unwind for 2 days and relax here in s.central mo. and i get the point that skeet and trap can be had anywhere in any state w/o having to commit to long trips. but my main goal has always been to unite the internet crowd with like minds and interests. in other words, put faces on screen names.
its been a failure. so, with that, do i continue to hope or give up thinking shotguns are enough to draw forum members together?
as i age, there is always the option of selling the farm and moving back to conn. i wore out va. i cant wait to leave all that. at least conn still has some signs of culture and community roots. since my shotgun doesn't take 20 round mags, and I don't need combat rifles in my life, the ct gun restrictions are meaningless to me.(contrary to what people may think,) there are more shooting ranges in conn per square mile than any other state in america. pretty nice to be able to say to the wife, " im going out to shoot," and visit 3 ranges in one day....in conn. inputs needed.

It does seem here most of the interest is in revolvers and pistols. Not all, but most. Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not, but maybe.

Personally I only have one shotgun, and am thinking about selling it, there just isn’t that many places to shoot shotguns like pistols and rifles. I know of one shotgun range close by.

And then the price. It seems like ranges for shotguns are always more expensive; I could be wrong, but the few times I’ve gone skeet shooting it costs more than a pistol range. Not sure why.

bobski

Hunter
its targets, staff, and machine upkeep. that's why mine is so cheap. I try to keep it an appealing option to travel.
I think outdoor pistol and rifle just requires initial costs to build, with occasional upkeep. and the things requiring upkeep are usually made of wood and dirt. unless someone has an operating pit' and target retrieval system, a sun shaded firing line with lawn chairs is much cheaper to keep up than an airconditioned and heated clubhouse with furniture. most rifle pistol ranges around va beach are old. they were built to last decades....and the result is, memberships are high to maintain it. (lead filtering, lead removal, patching holes from wild shooters, etc...

contender

Ruger Guru
bobski,, I do NOT think it has anything to do with you or the opportunity you offer.

I think it has to do with how people collect, shoot & enjoy firearms in general. And not just around here.
In general,, handguns,, of all varieties seem to get the most attention. Rifles & shotguns,, are generally seen as tools by the majority of folks. Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays,,, etc,, all seem to be smaller groups of shooters in general.
I'll relate it to a different thing,, but it shows what I mean.
As the Chairman of the FoNRA,, we do a fundraiser. Handguns are the most popular item we put out. No matter how many handguns we have,, people always seem to want them. Yet,, put out a rifle or a shotgun,, and I hear comments like;
"I already have a rifle in XYZ caliber,, I don't need another." Or,, "I don't need another shotgun, I have all I need."
So most folks seem always want "more" handguns,,, even when they may have 2,3, 4 or more of the same caliber. Heck, Miss Penny has 8 handguns,, and only 1 shotgun. She has no interest in another shotgun. Yet,, she's already been eyeballing another handgun.
In general,, they are easier to enjoy for the average shooter. Indoor gun ranges, outdoor gun ranges,, no special machines to throw targets, etc.
I used to help out at a good friends Sporting Clays range. It failed due to the lack of interest,, even though there were a lot of shooters & gun folks all around.

I understand the fact you do all you can to make it fun & affordable. Yet,, just like handgun hunting,, it has a certain "stigma" that is just an incorrect perception of how much fun it can be.

Those are just a few of my thoughts!

protoolman

Hunter
It seems I live several states away but I sometimes go 5 years without shooting my shotguns. Cowboy guns are my interests. Blackhawks and Winchester's mostly.

bobski

Hunter
hard to believe I made military distinguished pistol at age 40. all the navy shooters said I was the old guy. (I had good eyes) but like many...when I hit 50+, away it went.
I shot more pistol in my life than shotgun actually...and still own more pistols than shotguns. rifle, not so much due to distance restrictions around va beach. one must go to pungo to shoot, and when the navy pulled my specops card pass, well....it got expensive. im down to 2 rifles.
like many things, the lure of shooting got stale as interests and goals changed...when I got married. sadly, my loading bench rusted and got dust 1" thick on it. its all for sale now. so it seems medical and financial changes pushed me from my favorite shooting, to the only thing left that I could do....shotguns. and so it is today. breaks my heart to pick up a pistol and just look at it.
what I was and what I am, are two different things. photos and awards remind me of my past abilities....but that's about it. I couldn't hold a aimpoint today if I tried. heck, my 45 is behind glass in my retirement flag display.
so there ya have it. I offer shotguns because its what im reduced to. im very gracious that God is allowing me to enjoy it for this long.

contender

Ruger Guru
Understood bobski.

While I have many Rugers,, none are of the shotgun variety. I've shot several over the years,, especially when at the Sporting Clays range. I'd try any & every different shotgun that came along if allowed.
I did find that the one that fit me the best was a Browning Lightning Sporting Clays model. After I tried one,, and it just fit & felt right,, I wondered if it was THE shotgun for me. Well, I got a chance to try a different one,, same model. Again,, the results were the same. I figured I'd never find one for sale I could afford,, then less than 2 years after the second shooting of one,, I got lucky as heck,, with a guy having one for sale/trade. He wanted to learn to SCUBA dive,, and I wanted a shotgun. I still have it,, and it's my main shotgun for field purposes. I have a few 870's,,, and my first one, a single bbl .410. I also have a Norinco copy of the Win model 97 for SASS I used. So,, I only have 5 shotguns,, vs my main interests.
I don't get too many opportunities to bird hunt. (And I know many folks who also don't have places to bird hunt enough to make it a regular activity.)
I don't shoot SASS anymore,, so the Norinco collects dust.
The .410 is an heirloom.
The 870's are set for home SD & turkey hunting. I have a wicked choke set up for the turkeys.
Plus,, I have a custom bbl for an 870 that's special built for turkey shoots, where they have an "unlimited" category.
Locally, there is ONE place to enjoy sport shotgunning that's open to the public,, and accessible to many.
But like many,, my interests are still focused on handgunning. Heck, even my rifles rarely see use. I keep my 17 HMR in my truck for work purposes, but the others,, many haven't been fired in a long while.
My personal enjoyments are competition USPSA shooting,, as well as handgun hunting. So,, while I still can,, Good Lord willing,, that's where my interests & focus lies.

I think the everyday use of a shotgun isn't as common nor as easy for most of us.
There are the limits of effective range for shotguns. As a hunting firearm, they limit many hunters. (Of course,, so does archery, handgunning etc.)
Combine that with the fact that more folks do not have a place to actually shoot shotgun games such as Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays, etc. they do not get as much use.
You can't easily carry one daily for self defense.
And ammo costs.
Reloading isn't as much of a cost savings as it can be for handguns or rifles. Plus,, many places that sell reloading supplies, do not carry lead shot, or wads. Heck, even primer supplies are limited except during muzzleloading season when they are used for inline muzzleloaders.
And it's hard to "Play with & adjust" loads for shotguns like it is for handguns or rifles. There are more limitations.

Collectors. In the Ruger line,, there are some truly nice & desirable rare shotguns. BUT,, the costs to build a collection of Ruger shotguns is prohibitive to many. An average shooter grade Ruger Red Label, can start at $1000 & go up quickly. A Gold Label, $4000 & up. Hard to afford for many.

All in all,,, shotguns definitely have their place,, but for many people,, they also have their limitations. As such,, less activities that people can enjoy.

wwb

Hunter
I would like to attend, but it's a whole day's drive to get there from where I live.

Regarding the popularity of shotgun sports.... it may be a regional thing. Within a half hour's drive of where I live, there are five clubs with trap and skeet, and three sporting clays courses (two of which have 5-stand in the winter). If I extend it to an hours drive, it almost doubles the number of choices - and if Lake Michigan didn't limit the number of options to the east (zero), it would likely be far more than double.

bobski

Hunter
now you know why I invite people to my range on the cheap.
not every day some guy with a range in his back yard opens it to total strangers just to have fun.
its taken me a decade to convice most, its real and im not a fake or scam artist. this farm was a dream come true, and its always been my nature to share my abundance with others.
as you and others know, getting a handful of people all in one place at the same time, from all corners of America, isn't easy. the fact that ive been able to draw what I did in the past decade is truly a miracle. the result is....a lifetime of good close friends. just wish it would be more. time will tell.

bobski

Hunter
granted, vanzant isn't a tourist destination. but farm land for some is what they like....quiet seclusion. I got plenty here!
as mentioned, putting faces to internet handles was always my goal too. some are willing to travel to meet others, based on good solid discussions and data shared on line in forums like this.
the result is friendships are bonded, even at the expense of traveling far to do it. case in point, I had one fellow from Alaska come! I have a fellow from Durango colo coming in apr. and lest we forget, I come 1500 miles just to host it. some people like road trips. and sometimes all the dice roll just right....
a good trip, good shooting, new faces, good memories.
doesn't work for most, and for those that make it a ritual, even then things come up. I know life isn't easy. so like a willow, I bend. I just like making sure enough do come so the ones who do come expecting others to be there aren't disappointed.
my very first shoot a booked 15. 3 showed up.
I vowed it would never happen again.
so far so good.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Has nothing to do with you or your offer. I shot a shotgun some in the 90's in CAS. Last time I shot a shotgun, a guy next to me at the range ask me if I would shoot his shotgun to see if it worked any better for me than it did for him. Shot fine for me, I just couldn't hit the box in front of me I was shooting at. I doubt my son will even appreciate the shotguns I have. I may go turkey hunting next year. Will I hit one. I have no idea.
And I don't need to drive across country to find out I don't shoot a shotgun very well. I already know. :mrgreen:

Taterman

Buckeye
bobski said:
granted, vanzant isn't a tourist destination. but farm land for some is what they like....quiet seclusion. I got plenty here!
as mentioned, putting faces to internet handles was always my goal too. some are willing to travel to meet others, based on good solid discussions and data shared on line in forums like this.
the result is friendships are bonded, even at the expense of traveling far to do it. case in point, I had one fellow from Alaska come! I have a fellow from Durango colo coming in apr. and lest we forget, I come 1500 miles just to host it. some people like road trips. and sometimes all the dice roll just right....
doesn't work for most, and for those that make it a ritual, even then things come up. I know life isn't easy. so like a willow, I bend. I just like making sure enough do come so the ones who do come expecting others to be there aren't disappointed.
so far so good.

If I had the ways and means to be there, I would.

Taterman

Buckeye
bobski said:
so far so good.

If I had the ways and means to be there, I would. Very nice of you to offer you place for a get together.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Shotgunning is loads of fun. I lived 3 miles from the makers of Pat Trap my neighbor's
son worked there. All we had to do is buy his ammo clays were free and we tipped the guy in the trap house. Every Sunday Morning we were out there banging away! Move to
Maine havent been since, kinda miss it. ps

AJGUNNER

Hunter
I recently jumped back into shooting clay after about 10 years of being out of it. I try to get to the club one evening every month. I actually shot in early November in short sleeves. In this part of the country we are pretty much shut down by the weather this time of the year. I don't mind shooting when it is cold out, but 35 and rain tends to keep me closer to the wood stove. While I own several Rugers, none are shotguns. If I were not a 3 day drive away, I would love to take advantage of your generous invite.

bobski

Hunter
in case there is anyone out there who may have the slim chance of wanting to come, here read up.
---------------

The Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm of Vanzant, Mo.
will be hosting a corporate outing for
ALL CYBER FORUM MEMBERS
GUESTS AND LOCALS ARE INVITED TO SHOOT
3-4 APR 2020
SAFETY BRIEFS: 3PM Friday & 9AM & NOON Saturday
1st FLIGHTS 4pm Friday & 10am Saturday,
RAIN OR SHINE
Bring 10 Boxes of Ammo, a cover dish and small door prize

ANY GUN
ANY GAUGE

Event Cost is a suggested 75.00 for early sign up prior to 1 Feb, 100.00 for late sign ups and at the door. (an unheard of bargain for a 250 bird match)

The Days Events Will Be:

3pm - Friday Intro/Waivers/Gun Insp.
4pm - Field 1 & 2 open for practice
6pm - Open kitchen. Fend for yourselves
7-10pm - Night Birds

9am - Saturday Intro/Waivers/Gun Insp.
10am - Shooting Begins
Box 1 = 16yd ATA Trap
Box 2 = 21yd Handicap Trap
Box 3 = Skeet
Box 4 = Polish Turkey Shoot
Box 5 = Annie Oakley