SHOTS pics of 327's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I went to the local Cabela's today, they didn't have the .327 8 shot Blackhawk. The guy told me wait 6 months before I could find one in the store. He wasn't even sure about ordering one. On the other hand, they did have a SP101 in .327. I've never handled an SP101, but they do have a very nice feel to them.

dougader

Hunter
There are both Blackhawks and GP100's in 327 Federal on Gun Broker right now. Cabella's should be able to order them.

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
Someone please tell me what the point of this new caliber is? I love the reviews about a lot less kick than the .357. Well the .357 in my GP100 is, frankly, mild, and my old SP101 wasn't bad at all. I get a bigger jolt out of my Walther .380. And here's another soon to be hard to find ammo compteting against the mainstream. I have been to both Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop here in Phoenix and the clerks hadn't even heard of the .327, and the Bass Pro Shop guy was the guy who does their ammo ordering. Like I said, I don't get it. It seems to me that Ruger could have come up with something a lot more practical, but hey, what do I know.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
BeagleDog":2shblvwm said:
Someone please tell me what the point of this new caliber is? I love the reviews about a lot less kick than the .357. Well the .357 in my GP100 is, frankly, mild, and my old SP101 wasn't bad at all. I get a bigger jolt out of my Walther .380. And here's another soon to be hard to find ammo compteting against the mainstream. I have been to both Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop here in Phoenix and the clerks hadn't even heard of the .327, and the Bass Pro Shop guy was the guy who does their ammo ordering. Like I said, I don't get it. It seems to me that Ruger could have come up with something a lot more practical, but hey, what do I know.

Just because those clerks are incompetent does not mean that the .327 Federal is not a good cartridge. The cartridge has been on the market for over two years now, and there are at least seven revolvers from major gun manufacturers that come immediately to mind that chamber the round. The cartridge has been selling like crazy, greatly exceeding the predictions that Federal made for producing the ammo. Obviously, your Bass Pro and Cabela's clerks never read a paper gun magazine, nor Gunblast.com. It is their job to know the gun market.

dougader

Hunter
Some people seem to think that the 327 Federal is supposed to take the place of a good 357 magnum, and I can see why that is. I mean, look at the guns Ruger and others are putting them in.

I will always have a good 357 revolver, or 2 or 3, but I'll get a couple 327's too. But I would honestly prefer a good single six for the 327 than a Blackhawk or a GP100. I like the SP101 in 327 too.

The thing is, if I were out shooting ground squirrels or other varmints, for example, I'd rather have a flat-shooting 327 that got the job done with less recoil. But if I was fishing around black bear or cougar (like we have here in Oregon) I'd opt for at least a good 357.

32magfan

Blackhawk
When I bought mine at the gun show in Murfreesboro last Saturday, I had several people ask what I had purchased. "A What???" was the most common response. One of the guys I went with even said that no such gun existed and he wanted to see it. "Has to be a .357 and Ruger doesn't make 8 shot revolvers, son." The "son" came with an air of condescension that was the only part of the whole splainin' process that irritated me at all. The crow he ate did not go down well. :wink:

Its amazing that people that work in gun shops or places like Bass Pro, Cabela's , etc. don't know any more about guns than I do about cooking French cuisine. :shock: I find good folks mostly at all the places I go but many are only well versed in one category of guns like AR's, 1911's, Bolt rifles or scatterguns for hunting, trap or sporting clays. I get that it would be nearly impossible to know alot about every niche in the world of firearms but to know nothing about entire segments is really sad. Worse is the guy who doesn't know but acts like he does or dismisses what you are interested in and proceeds to tell you how you should like what he is interested in.

Sorry about the rant but about half the people I run into in the gun business don't know about 32 Longs, Mags or 327s. If they want to know something about them I usually oblige and I also will listen to what they know about and I don't.

Thanks,

32Magfan

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
Jeff Quinn":29a1f4qm said:
BeagleDog":29a1f4qm said:

Just because those clerks are incompetent does not mean that the .327 Federal is not a good cartridge (Never said it wasn't). The cartridge has been on the market for over two years now, and there are at least seven revolvers from major gun manufacturers that come immediately to mind that chamber the round. The cartridge has been selling like crazy, greatly exceeding the predictions that Federal made for producing the ammo. Obviously, your Bass Pro and Cabela's clerks never read a paper gun magazine, nor Gunblast.com. It is their job to know the gun market (Why I never buy from either of them).

Jeff, my main question was I just don't understand the point of the .327. Ballistically it seems to be just a little more of this and just a little less of that. So a sincere question - what is it for? Sure, I'd love to have one but after I had a gun of every mainstream caliber, especially in long guns, and I sure can't afford that and I bet most others can't as well. And I stand by my point in ammo. I do a lot of internet searching/buying of ammo and while we know all calibers are tight right now (Try finding SD loads for .380) the .327 is offered by few retailers making price comparisons much more difficult. Just like all guns, it boils down to personal preference but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say this cartidge will never appeal to more than a small niche market.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
32magfan":ep2wacap said:
When I bought mine at the gun show in Murfreesboro last Saturday, I had several people ask what I had purchased. "A What???" was the most common response. One of the guys I went with even said that no such gun existed and he wanted to see it. "Has to be a .357 and Ruger doesn't make 8 shot revolvers, son." The "son" came with an air of condescension that was the only part of the whole splainin' process that irritated me at all. The crow he ate did not go down well. :wink:

Its amazing that people that work in gun shops or places like Bass Pro, Cabela's , etc. don't know any more about guns than I do about cooking French cuisine. :shock: I find good folks mostly at all the places I go but many are only well versed in one category of guns like AR's, 1911's, Bolt rifles or scatterguns for hunting, trap or sporting clays. I get that it would be nearly impossible to know alot about every niche in the world of firearms but to know nothing about entire segments is really sad. Worse is the guy who doesn't know but acts like he does or dismisses what you are interested in and proceeds to tell you how you should like what he is interested in.

Sorry about the rant but about half the people I run into in the gun business don't know about 32 Longs, Mags or 327s. If they want to know something about them I usually oblige and I also will listen to what they know about and I don't.

Thanks,

32Magfan

I can help you out on that French cuisine. I am somewhat of an expert on French fries. Back when I was in high school, I worked at a McDonald's. I was in charge of French fries. This was back when we used real taters. I would peel, slice, wash, blanch, and cook about 2200 pounds every Saturday, and almost that many on Sunday. Cooked in pure beef fat. That is the best way to cook a French fry, and that is the extent of my French cooking experience.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
BeagleDog":2ni70oqm said:
Jeff Quinn":2ni70oqm said:
BeagleDog":2ni70oqm said:

Just because those clerks are incompetent does not mean that the .327 Federal is not a good cartridge (Never said it wasn't). The cartridge has been on the market for over two years now, and there are at least seven revolvers from major gun manufacturers that come immediately to mind that chamber the round. The cartridge has been selling like crazy, greatly exceeding the predictions that Federal made for producing the ammo. Obviously, your Bass Pro and Cabela's clerks never read a paper gun magazine, nor Gunblast.com. It is their job to know the gun market (Why I never buy from either of them).

Jeff, my main question was I just don't understand the point of the .327. Ballistically it seems to be just a little more of this and just a little less of that. So a sincere question - what is it for? Sure, I'd love to have one but after I had a gun of every mainstream caliber, especially in long guns, and I sure can't afford that and I bet most others can't as well. And I stand by my point in ammo. I do a lot of internet searching/buying of ammo and while we know all calibers are tight right now (Try finding SD loads for .380) the .327 is offered by few retailers making price comparisons much more difficult. Just like all guns, it boils down to personal preference but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say this cartidge will never appeal to more than a small niche market.

You might be right. I know a few shooters who have really taken to the cartridge, but all of them are fellow Shootists and high-volume shooters. They shoot every revolver caliber available, from .22 rimfire to the big 500s. I really like the .327, but did not replace any other cartridge with it, except for the .32 H&R. For defense, it dioes offer less recoil with the same penetration than the .357 magnum. If a person already has a .357, and can handle it well, there is no need to switch to the .327. However, the .327 is a viable choice, if someone wants one. Really, I can do 95 percent of what I need to do with a firearm using nothing but a .22 Long Rifle. However, I enjoy shooting many different cartridges, including the .327 Federal. I handload just about all of my ammo, always have, and the .327 uses less powder and less lead than do the larger calibers, and gives me just as much fun. It doesn't save me any money, because I just shoot more.

2 dogs

Buckeye
Jeff, your new friend just doesnt get it.....

Beagledog, when I first heard of the 327 Federal I didnt wait to see what some gun manufacturer might build, I selected the finest sixgunsmith available, told him what I wanted, and he built me a custom 327 Federal on a Single Six. What I got back was a very powerful accurate package on the Single Six platform. 1550 fps with a 118 grain GC bullet with almost NO recoil. The downrange performance is quite impressive. I have some very fine and accurate and powerful custom sixguns. My 327 is among the best of them!
327-1.jpg

Axehandle

Buckeye
Now we all know that that is a bunch of hogwash..... :D Or maybe that was prop wash... :p Why wouldn't I want a 327 in a Blackhawk AND a Single Six... Heck I'm looking for a TC Contender 32 H&R 10 inch bull to rechamber to 327! It has nothing to do with my 32 H&Rs or 357s... Has absolutely no effect on my craving for 30 Carbines, 32-20s, or 300 GNRs. I like them all! I hate it for you guys who, for what ever reason, have to limit yourselves to one or the other....

2Dog:
That is a nice looking revolver. Who did the work? Any more details?

BeagleDog:
Personally, I would love to have a 327. But I also shoot a 30 carbine, 220 swift, and have a 16 gauge shotgun. The reason I want one of the 327 is I can be almost certain nobody else at the gun range will have one. I can't afford the exclusive top rated sports car, but I can have a fairly exclusive gun that is more "rare." This is the same reason I won't buy an AR or Glock. There are just too many of them.

32magfan

Blackhawk
32magfan wrote:
When I bought mine at the gun show in Murfreesboro last Saturday, I had several people ask what I had purchased. "A What???" was the most common response. One of the guys I went with even said that no such gun existed and he wanted to see it. "Has to be a .357 and Ruger doesn't make 8 shot revolvers, son." The "son" came with an air of condescension that was the only part of the whole splainin' process that irritated me at all. The crow he ate did not go down well.

Its amazing that people that work in gun shops or places like Bass Pro, Cabela's , etc. don't know any more about guns than I do about cooking French cuisine. I find good folks mostly at all the places I go but many are only well versed in one category of guns like AR's, 1911's, Bolt rifles or scatterguns for hunting, trap or sporting clays. I get that it would be nearly impossible to know alot about every niche in the world of firearms but to know nothing about entire segments is really sad. Worse is the guy who doesn't know but acts like he does or dismisses what you are interested in and proceeds to tell you how you should like what he is interested in.

Thanks,

32Magfan

I can help you out on that French cuisine. I am somewhat of an expert on French fries. Back when I was in high school, I worked at a McDonald's. I was in charge of French fries. This was back when we used real taters. I would peel, slice, wash, blanch, and cook about 2200 pounds every Saturday, and almost that many on Sunday. Cooked in pure beef fat. That is the best way to cook a French fry, and that is the extent of my French cooking experience.

Jeff,

Ya got me on that one brother. ROFLMAO. I can cook them FF taters myself quite well for myself but I lack the professional experience that you possess. I humbly bow to the Great Fry Cook.

P.S. I would love to hear about your friend's 135 GR cast bullet in your Gunblast article. Great read, BTW. I must assume it it a custom mold.

32Magfan

maxpress

Buckeye
BeagleDog wrote:
Someone please tell me what the point of this new caliber is? I love the reviews about a lot less kick than the .357. Well the .357 in my GP100 is, frankly, mild, and my old SP101 wasn't bad at all. I get a bigger jolt out of my Walther .380. And here's another soon to be hard to find ammo compteting against the mainstream. I have been to both Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop here in Phoenix and the clerks hadn't even heard of the .327, and the Bass Pro Shop guy was the guy who does their ammo ordering. Like I said, I don't get it. It seems to me that Ruger could have come up with something a lot more practical, but hey, what do I know

PURSE CALIBER, I was wondering for along time the why of the .327 and i think if a female suddenly had a scruffy face leaning through her car window that the sight of it would make him go away and she would know that if she did pull the trigger it would be close to the terminal effect of the .357 without the wrist numbing crack of some of the full power loads. yeah i know im going to get alot of sexist flak from this but alot of females i know WILL NOT shoot my .357s with full loads in them especially my sp101.
i think the single six wouldbe/is an excellent platform for this round even though i have no use for one and the SBH would make a good varmit ranch gun. maybe even a trail gun where larger predators dont live.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
I think the nay-sayers are missing the point. This is clearly Ruger's way of testing the waters to introduce the 327 max in the SRM. 115s at say 1800 fps, heck, 85s at 2000 plus. There won't be enought 296 or H110 around to keep those fed. :wink:

captainkirk

As an aside, I like the new offerings, but my little 32 H&R SS is enough for now.

Edited to add: In line with this new cartridge will be the "forward motion cylinder" and Nagant style cartridge cases to not only reduce gas cutting, but virtually eliminate those unsightly stains on the front of the cylinder. This technology should allow the 71 grain FMJs up into 257 wetherby velocity range. The faint of heart need not apply.

2 dogs":1nicvnz3 said:

Beagledog, when I first heard of the 327 Federal I didnt wait to see what some gun manufacturer might build, I selected the finest sixgunsmith available, told him what I wanted, and he built me a custom 327 Federal on a Single Six. What I got back was a very powerful accurate package on the Single Six platform. 1550 fps with a 118 grain GC bullet with almost NO recoil. The downrange performance is quite impressive. I have some very fine and accurate and powerful custom sixguns. My 327 is among the best of them!
327-1.jpg

That's the ticket Real Nice piece 2dogs. I hope ruger is paying attention a magnum in a small package. :) ps

sebtool

Blackhawk
2 dogs":23ykfbtr said:

327-1.jpg

No, unfortunately, Ruger doesn't get it! That Single Six IS what should have been the 'big announcement' on the 8th. THAT platform makes sense. It makes a strong case for a smaller high performance round with less recoil thatn the .357. You'd think in a smaller instead of larger package. A parallel can be drawn between the .327 and the .41 mag pretty easily. Which happens to be 1 of my favorite calibers.

I can see a limited market for the GP100, more so for the Blackhawk.

I can't afford to buy a revolver then send it out and spend another $1000 on it just to get what Ruger should have produced in the first place. And I'd imagine most members here can't, not to mention the majority of potential buyers.

But that Single Six could have flown off the shelves, at least as well as this economy allows. I guess that point is moot, tho, as it seems that Ruger isn't too intent on keeping up with demand as it is.

Though it's not nearly the gun a Ruger is, it seems that Charter Arms got the delivery platform right. S&W as well, but they've priced themselves out of the reach of most working stiffs these days. Charter doesn't have the name for quality of either, but at least they got the package right. And the few reviews I've seen of the CA are positive.

I find it hard to believe that the marketing people at Ruger couldn't seem to team up with ATK, etc., to have a decent amount of ammo and reloading supplies available at the same time the announcement was made. They collaborated on the ammo when the chambering 1st came out, didn't they?

Then again, the way things work these days, the hype leading up to the annoucement's more impotant than the actual production.... Just like in DC! :? You have no idea how bad it hurts to even make that comparison.... :(

I'd sell or trade the .41 mag Redhawk I just got a couple of months ago for that Single Six (you up for that 2dogs? :wink: ) but not for a Blackhawk or GP100 in .327.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
My wife bought herself a sp101 last week at the gunshow the seller had a 327 and a 357. The wife asked me which to buy I told her to go with the 357 she likes to shoot 38's in mine. That's why I keep about 2500 38 loaded up all the time. She also likes to use my convertable blackhawk with the 38's.

COR

Blackhawk
When anyone tyries to say "why" about any new product or caliber offering their is no reason to try to explain it. If they look at things from a practical standpoint they didn't need anything beyond the 45 Colt and the 45-70 and a 22LR. We gun nutz don't do this because it's practical, we do it because we love guns and burning gunpowder!

Get over the "why do we need it?", it is not meant to replace your sacred .357's :roll:

This is just a very cool little cartridge. Can't that just be enough? I do have to agree on the Single Six platform but I doubt we will see that from Ruger. That's why custom gunsmiths are available!

maxpress

Buckeye
it is a really cool little cartridge. i just cant see why its being put into big guns. kinda like making a .308 on a barret .50 platform. or mounting a 25mm bushmaster on an M1 abrams.