Shot My SR1911 For the First Time Today (Update)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oscar

Bearcat
Let me start by saying this is the first new centerfire autoloader I have ever fired. I have always bought used guns in the past. I took the gun apart and lubed it with Tri Flow. I fired MagTech Ball and reloads with 230 gr ball and 5.0 and 5.6 of 231 in new cases. The gun would fire once and then not go into battery. There was another gent at the range and he had some Gun Butter. We took the gun apart and lubed it more. I then began firing the heavier reloads and things got better. I fired a total of about 150 rounds and it was working fine at the end. I have now cleaned it and lubed the rails with Rig for stainless.

I am mainly use to shooting my 40 year old Series 70 Gold Cup and it has spoiled me. However, I like the Ruger and am looking forward to getting some more jacketed rounds down range. I ordered 200 230gr bullets already. I figure that after a few hundred more rounds it will be almost broken in. Before I try my standard lead load, I will replace the recoil spring with a lighter one.

I am happy with the Ruger and glad I bought it.

Went back today with 150 rds of 230 gr ball over 5.3 of 231 and the Ruger was flawless. I think the Rig on the rails really helped. A few hundred more rounds and I will consider it broken in/

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
oscar , What is your standard lead load if you don`t mind telling?
I will be shooting mostly lead out of mine.
I have cast up some Lyman 225gr. RN bullets of a wheel weight /tin mix and am waiting for a new RCBS 45-230-cs mold to show up .
Mike Ventureno (sp?) said in Handloader that bullet works great in the ACP and .45 Colt. I plan to use that bullet in the SR1911 and my Vaquaros and Uberty 73 for CAS.
I shoot a lot of Trail Boss in the .45 Colt and have used Red Dot and Tite Group in the ACP. :wink:

oscar

Bearcat
My standard for many years has been a 200 gr cast swc and 5.0 of 231. I am worried about the barrel of the Ruger being a bit rough to start and want to fire several hundred jacketed rounds to smooth it out a bit. I think the Ruger may be a bit stiff for this load at this time.

My new SR1911 was very tight and would not cycle anything but standard hardball ammo from the getgo. Calling Ruger tech line the guy said it was normal as the guns were mfg with tight tolerances and just go shoot it. After about 200 rounds this weekend, it shoots very well, and the only thing it didn't like is the Remington 185gr jacketed SWC, which is suppose to be a target load. But the Colt doesn't like it either so I wasn't surprised. I am quite happy with the gun and so were several others at the range that got the opportunity to shoot it. I think I sold two for Ruger if they could just get the supply chain filled. The RangeMaster is a dedicated 1911 shooter and he said it was the first Ruger 1911 he had seen and was quite impressed.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have a 16# recoil spring on the way from Wolf.
I ordered it on online on 4-14 and just got shipping confirmation for
USPS first class today (9days later). They must have been out of stock. They have always been quick to ship in the past.

I read the SR1911 comes from Ruger with a 19# recoil spring.
I don`t know how much truth is in that but it never hurts to have a spare.
:wink:

oscar

Bearcat
Took it out for the 3rd time and it was flawless. Still shooting ball ammo and lots of Rig on the slide. I did notice that the grip screws keep wanting to get loose and I put some clear nail polish on the threads after cleaning it. I need to get some more fmj bullets and load some more up.

The Wall

Single-Sixer
I had to put some blue loctite on mine when I first got it. Haven't come loose since.