Shortening Barrel New Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bridgebuilder

Bearcat
I am looking to get the barrel shortened on my New Vaquero. How is the front sight attached and could it be removed and remounted to the shorter barrel?

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
The problem you may run into is needing a taller site depending how short you are going. If the original has not been filed down or now shoots high you maybe ok. or you may try another front site option as in this post http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... ing+barrel

As far as I know, on the original site there is a slot milled into the barrel and the site is soldered into the slot. I would think a good gunsmith could mill a new slot and re-solder the front site in.

skip

Single-Sixer
Keep the nice lines of the cowboy gun and have a driftable dovetail sight base installed...
Alpha precission, Inc.
Clements Custom Guns
Gallagher firearms

bridgebuilder

Bearcat
I would be shortening from 5-1/2" to 4-5/8", so I think the height would work. It shoots high with a center hold, and right on with a 6 oclock hold.
I would think most smiths could handle the job. Thanks for the ideas

flatgate

Hawkeye
I bet you'll wish you had a taller front sight........

Shucks, I basically ALWAYS need Ruger's tallest front sight on ALL of my shooters.

OK, but, I'll confess, I almost always shoot HEAVY bullets.

flatgate

REP1954

Blackhawk
One thing about putting a tall front sight on is that it can always be made shorter easier than be made taller.

sbhg

Bearcat
Damascus%20bbl.%20Sedgley%20003.jpg

Colt%20New%20Service%20custom%20.45%20Colt%20002.jpg

This is the front sight you need.