Short Stock Options for 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mljones1947

Bearcat
Background: No rifle experience. Hoping for reasonably priced first 22LR rifle to see if I like long guns. Hold and sight revolver left-handed, since I'm generally left-handed and my right eye sucks. Want to shoot rifle on left shoulder. Also short adult, need LOP of about 12.5 inches. Can't find compact 10/22 CRR models in shops to "try on," so reluctant to special order untested. Not a big fan of "tactical look," but an adjustable stock would solve my LOP issue. Am aware of factory SR-22 and Tapco options plus Archangel and Nordic conversions.

Questions: Do you think that buying a used wooden stock gun and having the stock shortened makes more sense than any of the above options? I assume that I could "fine tune" the length with recoil pads? About how much does it cost to get a stock shortened? Does the barrel typically need to be shorted also for balance, or is that a "try it and see" question?

Thanks.

Snake45

Hawkeye
mljones1947":2okwbbl2 said:
Questions: 1. Do you think that buying a used wooden stock gun and having the stock shortened makes more sense than any of the above options? I assume that I could "fine tune" the length with recoil pads? 2. About how much does it cost to get a stock shortened? 3. Does the barrel typically need to be shorted also for balance, or is that a "try it and see" question?

Thanks.
1. Yes. Takeoff 10/22 birch stocks are dirt cheap--$20-$25 tops. Might even ask around and someone would GIVE one to you.

2. Costs nothing if you do it yourself. Hand saws are cheap.

3. Doesn't have to be. Try it and see.

Desert Dawg

Bearcat
Snake's hit it on the head very well.

I would add that finding birch - especially - and walnut carbine stocks at gun shows is easily done.
The birch at the price he quoted and walnut around $50.

You can shorten the stock yourself if you have the right tools.
Main thing is to wrap the butt with 2-3 wraps of 3M - for good quality - masking tape in the cut area.
The tape helps to prevent splintering.

A good miter box with fine tooth box saw or a many tooth - 60-80 - sharp carbide table saw blade makes an excellent cut that doesn't require sanding most times.

Barrel length as Snake noted doesn't require a change and in fact the standard 10-22 barrel length is somewhat close to the legal barrel length minimum.

Long barrels were common on what were called "Boys Rifles" many years ago.
Take a look at this Springfield sngle shot 22.
SpringfieldSingleShot1.jpg

The stock is quite short, the barrel is 27" long.

You'll probably find you don't have to cut much off the stock of the 10-22 carbine.
Smart thing is to cut the minimum required and see what you think.

Take note that the carbine butt plate will require some inletting and require cutting down to fit the smaller butt plate area.

A Ruger rubber butt pad as found on the Rifle models would be a good way to go.

Here's a two year old 10-22 T (Target) model with factory rubber butt pad.
10-22TCropped.jpg

I have seen cut-down 10-22 carbine stocks at gun shows and most times they're well done as well as cheaper than factory length stocks.

Take your tape measure with you when you go shopping....

edlmann

Blackhawk
Desert Dawg":1y1qm9ey said:
You can shorten the stock yourself if you have the right tools.
Main thing is to wrap the butt with 2-3 wraps of 3M - for good quality - masking tape in the cut area.
The tape helps to prevent splintering.
A good miter box with fine tooth box saw or a many tooth - 60-80 - sharp carbide table saw blade makes an excellent cut that doesn't require sanding most times.

An idea I heard years ago: before sawing the butt, drill a pair of holes in the butt for a dowel, 1/4" or bigger, running parallel to the bore line. If you decide to re lengthen the stock later, your alignment is taken care of. Just need a thin space the thickness of the saw blade.