Shop Project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I thought I'd show a picture of the latest project I have been working on in the shop with the "stay at home" situation. Granted, I started this project before the current situation but the "lockdown" had given me time to spend some more time and let me get much closer to wrapping this one up. The woodworkers bench is called a split top Roubo bench and it is based on a 1700's French Woodworker design. I modified the plans in that I wanted a full width end vice rather than a small vice on one corner but I did go with the leg vice utilizing Benchcrafted leg vice hardware. The maple and Baltic Birch sheets you see behind the bench are for a slide in cabinet that will span the lower cross pieces. This will have three drawers with dividers for chisels and other smaller woodworking hand tools and there will be a small side cabinet for a few larger tools.

The bench itself is all reclaimed wood materials except for the piece of cherry I laminated up for the face of the movable side of the end vice. The main part of the top is a piece of Eastern Hard rock Maple shuffle board top. A friend at my former church asked me if I wanted the 21' long shuffle board simply for removing it. Since it was 3" thick, 22" wide and 21' long I had to cut it into three 7' long pieces to get it down two flights of stairs but to me, it was worth the effort. The dark boards on the edge and that the middle piece is made from came from an old tannery that my friends family owned and had to tear down. The tannery was the oldest vegetable process tannery west of the Mississippi and it used fir bark for the tannin material. These boards were one of the old tanks they soaked the hides in while wooden rockers sloshed them back and forth. The middle board which is not shown is made to drop down in teh middle and sit flush or you can lift it ouot and flip it over and it extends above the work surface about 1" to serve as a back stop for planing work.The legs and cross stringers are milled down from some 80 plus year old fir beams from the same church I got the top from and they were 23' long, 13" deep and 3'+ thick. I ripped them down, laminated the parts I needed then planed or milled them to size. The sliding dead man, not shown, came from a piece of old growth fir out of an old Woolworth Department Store building that was torn down several years ago in Salem and is probably 7-80 years old as well.
AmaPy3P.jpg

I probably have 30 hours in it more or less. I already have modified construction ideas for the next bench to cut that down and make it more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. AS far as weight goes, all I can say is y don't have to worry about it moving when you are working on it. I had to lay it on its side a few weeks ago to deep the mortise sections for the steel plates the ends of the leg vice ride on and I could barely pick it back up onto its legs. Next time I wil lay it over onto the forks on the tractor to facility lifting it back up. A guy can pull 8 bolts which hold the end vice on and the top parts of the top to the base and move it in three pieces if he had to.

coach

Hunter
I would guess around 300 pounds. It's for working on, not moving. ;). I like that vise wheel. I never saw one like that before. It looks more like something you'd find on a watertight hatch.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Roubo's are great ww and general purpose benches. The original design goes back to the 1700's. Retail Roubo's (usually custom made) can cost $2000 and up, so good on ya for building your own. :D

Here's some examples of custom benches:

http://www.strazzafurniture.com/workbenches.html

Thank you folks. Mr. Strazza does amazing work, way beyond this bumpkins skill level. Even the plans I bought from Benchcrafted are neat and concise. My wife wants me to have one of the pages copied then framed for the shop.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Beautiful work bench. Some very nice work there. I built one similar for my shop back in the nineties. Mine definitely wasn't as aesthetically pleasing. Instead of the leg vise l inlet an Emmert pattern makers vice flush on the left front corner to use with the dead man and dog holes both down and across for odd shapes. Nowhere near as nice as yours but very functional. It's about the only thing that was left from my old business the ex didn't sell or steal. Couldn't't lift it I guess.

Marshal Too Sweet

Single-Sixer
As a man who is recovering from a break in and trying to re stock my wood working shop, all I can say is I am envious ! Great job and great bench.