Shooting the Barrett .50

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I posted a few weeks ago about target size to shoot at with the .50 and yesterday went to my wife's nephews place in norther lower Michigan to actually shoot.
I made up a roughly 8 inch round and a 14 in round target to hang. Those that suggested the 8 in were pretty close by the time we quit for the day we were hitting it
pretty consistently under good conditions at about 460 yards.
The Barrett was a 32 in heavy barrel and had a 6-16 variable scope that we zeroed and shot at 16x. The gun and scope was about 25-26 pounds and the recoil was stout but not terrible sitting using an old very heavy picnic table as a bench. I tried it prone and didn't much like it nor did the other two younger/bigger guys shooting. We switched to the table after just a few shots. Not sure what to compare the recoil to, maybe a 3.5 in 12 gauge in a shotgun, maybe 300 Win. mag....somewhere in there. Being old and being used to having my body beat on I was icing my shoulder when not shooting, it's a bit stiff and bruised today. I got picked on for the ice, but Dave don't care!
I fired 40 rounds total over the course of the whole day and that was plenty.
A couple of things about the gun, first the trigger was much heavier than I thought it would be, but wasn't an issue because the gun was so heavy. It has a giant muzzle brake
that looks like it belongs in a sci-fi movie set. The brake undoubtable helps in the recoil department but the muzzle blast out the sides of it is pretty impressive and DAMN IS
IT LOUD!!!! All the chipmunks and squirrels in the area are no doubt suffering from headaches and hearing loss. I was wearing plugs under good muffs and it still seemed loud. No way I'd want to shoot it under a roof.
The barrel was heating very quickly and we cut back to firing once about every 5 minutes with longer breaks after 10-12 rounds and a few to ride the four wheeler down and free up the hanging target. One funny thing, we initially sighted it at about 100 yards with an orange stick on target on some cardboard nailed to a old pine tree about 6 inches in diameter. After maybe 8-9 shots, looking at the target through the scope as they got walked in the tree just fell over. As we moved out still on paper to about 250 yards I can tell you a 12-14 tree will not stop a .50, it was punching right through. The 1.5 inch thick with a .375 AR500 cover plate held up ok swinging from chains, The steel core ammo put big craters in it but did not penetrate it. The 750 grain Hornady didn't really damage it much at all and I think somebody good would be able to probably
hit a 4 to 5 inch target fairly consistently at that range under those conditions. Of course at $7 a shot it ought to be pretty good.
As a side note I took my old Glock 17 and a bunch of Winchester 124 grain "NATO" ammo, Once I got the hold over figured out resting on sandbags on the picnic table
I was able to hit the 14 inch target at about 110 -120 yards about 75 % of the time.
And as a final note, my wife shot the .50 three times, on her third shot she got a hit on the 8 inch plate and decided it was time to quit. She weighs about 130 pounds and
was getting thumped pretty good but just had to try it, I was surprised when she said she wanted to shoot it.
It was an interesting day, but I don't see owning a .50 ever in my future.

Last edited:
That does sound fun. Thanks for the write up. Holy cow! $7 per round. Did you use the magazine? Or just load each round individually? I’m curious how those bigger, longer rounds feed with the bolt action.

That does sound fun. Thanks for the write up. Holy cow! $7 per round. Did you use the magazine? Or just load each round individually? I’m curious how those bigger, longer rounds feed with the bolt action.
That model is a single shot bolt no magazine. The gun worked real well and seemed very simple and well built.
As mentioned the only surprise was what to me was very heavy trigger. I not sure I call it fun to shoot, a bit too much muzzle blast for me. Happy I had the chance to shoot it enough to form an impression. All bench rifle shooting is sort of "mechanical", if you do a sequence of steps you hit the target. With the conditions and distance we were shooting at it wasn't really a challenge to hit the 8 in target. Move it out to maybe 600-700 yards and the story would probably change, not going to happen on that property though.
The other guys shooting weigh between 240-260 and I'm about 180 right now, they were holding dead center on the 8 in target and I was holding right at the bottom of it. Guessing the recoil was effecting our points of impact differently. I had my wife drop her point of aim to just under the plate and that's when she hit it.
I think the gun, scope,conditions, and target size just added together were not to difficult.

contender

Ruger Guru
Sounds like y'all had a good time!

I have shot a few of the semi-auto Barrett's,, as well as the original "Ma Deuce." I've shot the Barrett's both from a bench & prone. Not something you'd want to do a lot,, but at the same time,, I shot them enough to get fairly good with one. It was a good thing the gentleman with the one I shot the most had plenty of money AND ammo for me to enjoy. He'd paid $2 a round back then. Between his Ma Deuce & the Barrett,, I think I fired well over 200 rounds that day. I tried to give him money for the ammo,, but he said; "I came into the world naked & broke,, I've made millions,, and I want to leave the same way I came in,, naked & broke." He refused my money.

I shot a single-shot bolt .50 cal long ago as well. I can't recall the brand, but it wasn't a Barrett.

Back in the late 1980’s on a July 4 weekend I shot an unnamed single shot .50 BMG round gun. It weighed 27 lbs, the bolt assembly alone weighed 12 lbs. As Contender mentioned, the rounds were $2 each. I had $6 to spare. At 100 yds I hit 3 gallon jugs x3. I loved it! Recoil was similar to a bolt action 30/06. My smile lasted all weekend!!!
gramps