shooting my 1st handloads...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff H

Bearcat
was very uneventful, but satisfying.

38 special loaded with:
158g LSWC
3.5 grains of Bullseye ( although I think it was closer to 3.3 grains. I think the Lee Pro auto disk is metering a little light with this powder.)
Seated to the crimp groove, but the exact measurement escapes me at the moment.

I loaded them up in my .357 Blackhawk (I knew they couldn't hurt that gun, even if I screwed something up) and shot them along with some WWB and they felt identical and were more accurate then I am. Then I tested them in my old 4" 38 special and again they performed exactly like the WWB that I was shooting. Only a whole lot smokier. I guess cleaning your gun a lot more is the trade off for those cheap lead bullets.

Next stop is 45ACP, then .357 (if 2400 ever becomes available locally again )

Using a Lee Classic turret and loving it :D loaded another 100 or so tonight with many more to come.

contender

Ruger Guru
Congrats on your first loads. I seem to recall that a "standard" target load of 3.2 grns of Bullseye under a wadcutter was THE match load for many years. Now,, I'm of the mindset that I like uniform powder burning. So,, when I load such light charges,, I use a poly fiberfill (pillow filler,) rolled into a little case filling ball put on top of the powder before I seat a bullet gives me VERY uniform results. I usually load 50 cases with powder,, then roll a ball of poly for each case, insert & use a flat headed round pin to seat the poly in each then I seat the bullets. Works like a charm.

e3mrk

Bearcat
Reloading is fun and can save a bit of Cash over time.
I use the Lee Scale to set the proper load of Powder from the Powder trickler untill I get the right Grains.
And then I check every fifty Loads to,be sure it hasnt changed.
Maybe I'm paranoid but I feel that better safe than sorry is the best way to go.
I remember closing My Eyes when I shot My first reload and hoping the Gun didn't blow up. I have been using Hodgdon Tight Group Powder and I like it ,I have experimented with others but this works best for Me.
Now My Wife is mad because I have Bullets all over the Basement and Bedroom.
Reloading can get to be a sickness that can never be cured in some People and I think I am one of Them.

bub

Single-Sixer
Good job. Satisfying, isn't it, to be able to make your own ammo that shoots better than factory? And, reloading is a good hobby in and of itself.

At least you got off better with your first reloads than I did. I can't remember what powder charge I used, but I remember it was a light load of Unique behind a 230gr FMJ for .45 ACP. I decided to load light for my first time and, stupidly, loaded up 100 rds without testing them out. Well, they were light alright! They wouldn't cycle the slide on my Colt Commander! I didn't have a bullet puller, so I had to manually cycle 100 rds through the Commander. It was a LONG range session! I did learn an important lesson, though: only load a few to test to make sure they work and are safe before loading up a lot of them!

Bub

Aeroscout9

Single-Sixer
It is so fun isn't it? Very rewarding. I started with a Lee Loader a few years ago for my .270 and have branched out to single stage and turret presses and loading .308, 338 RUM, .45 ACP, and .41 Mag of all cartridges. I find pleasure in going to the range and hunting for expended brass in future cartridges that I plan to reload for like .223, .38 SPL, and .44 Mag. Enjoy.

Joe

BluedMoon

Bearcat
It's a great feeling isn't it Jeff? Here's hoping that the "uneventful" description stays with all of us for a lloonngg time! :)

Yellowtail

Bearcat
Glad it worked out great for you.
I can remember my first handloads way back about 2 months ago :mrgreen:
You are going to love that 2400, I tell ya! you just wait!
I am starting out on all the same calibers you are, except I am using WST for my target loads for 38 & 45's.