Shooting in Arizona

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Right now, I'm living in Illinois, but all my family has seemed to move to Arizona. Visiting over Thanksgiving, my dad and I went shooting out in the desert several times.

It's so much fun to just go plinking. We test fired my dad's M1 Garand. First with 6 inches of pine, then with quarter inch steel plates. I'm sorry I didn't photograph the results. Needless to say it tore through anything we put in front of it. I'm going back at Christmas, I'll take pictures of the M1 in action. They are fun to shoot, but not friendly to left handers.

IMG00212.jpg

Me shooting an S&W model 41.

IMG00215.jpg

Our targets set at 25 yards.

IMG00214.jpg

Our set up.

You know, these pictures were taken with a camera phone believe it or not. Bright sunlight helps tremendously.

No, I don't mind asking. It seemed every day we were there, someone else was shooting as well. It's west of Maricopa about 10 miles. You have to drive around, not through, the Indian Reservation. on some BLM land. The area we were in has an ok road to get there, and a nice flat place to park and set up. We talked to one guy, he had his target set out to 500 yards and was using his truck to check his target.

Another place we used to go shooting was the Agua Fria Area, up I 17 almost to the highway to Prescott. Equally as nice, but no 500 yard ranges.

don44

Hunter
I used to go shooting all the time by Carefree,30 years ago. Now its all " built up". I'll always love the desert though.