Shooting glasses

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Buckeye
Here's a question on what shooting glasses would you recommend...(?)
I have to say, first, that I am not one to spend the big bucks on big name, super indestructible, everyone will recognize them glasses.
I tend to go to Home Depot or similar stores and buy a bunch of 'safety glasses' for $5 - $10.
I do tend to mistreat them so they scratch-up pretty quickly.
Is there anything YOU would recommend that will be fairly scratch resistant and maybe even fog-proof...?
I thought I would post this at least a week before my next Home Depot trip.
Thanks in advance.
J.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
I can see today because I was wearing good quality shooting glasses 12/20/1997. They don't have to be 'big name' just certified quality.
YUP, that's what I'm hoping to get recommendations on... (y)

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Check out Tactical brand at BassPro Shop or Cabelas. Different color lenses including yellow and clear. Only $12-15 Nice wrap around style. Use mine for target and Trap shooting.

No brand suggestion but look for some with the ANSI 87+ ratings
I never found scratch resistance to be of value in protection for drops and abuse but may help if you're
not careful cleaning. Have some Oakley with anti-fog that actually works.
Go through lots of glasses at work, never saw much value in the high end designer stuff as long as the
lower priced meets the safety standards.

You don’t say if you wear glasses or not, but what about going to an eye glass place and getting some sunglass frames with lenses that don’t have a prescription? You could get them with anti scratch protection..

Yes, they would be expensive, but they would also last a very long time. Years in fact. I would bet cheaper than Home Depot glasses over the same amount of time.

You don’t say if you wear glasses or not, but what about going to an eye glass place and getting some sunglass frames with lenses that don’t have a prescription? You could get them with anti scratch protection..

Yes, they would be expensive, but they would also last a very long time. Years in fact. I would bet cheaper than Home Depot glasses over the same amount of time.
I've done this for handgun shooting, asked my eye doc about it and he was good with bringing a handgun to the exam. Ended up making
a pair of lens with a .25 diopter correction in safety glass to fit a pair of Randolph sunglass frames. Just enough near correction to sharpen the sights
without degrading the target, I wear contacts and these were "tuned" to work with my contacts on.
Had them for years and think I need to bump the correction a bit now. The older I get the more picky I get about personal gear. At work I've
got welding helmets set up with different corrections in them, three different corrections in safety glasses, plus magnifiers. I've even got different
contacts for daily wear and hockey now. Sucks getting old and blind, but I'll take advantage of technology as much as I can.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
Dave, if you live long enough, you might get lucky like me. I need glasses for driving; I need glasses for reading. For some reason, God has allowed me to see my handgun sights without wearing eyeglasses.... It IS a MIRACLE.... truly; and I am grateful.

J.

BearBiologist

Single-Sixer
I wear glasses and have high-strength, tempered poly-carbonate lenses that are slightly oversized.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
I have a pair of Decot hywide 67mm. They are truly a great pair of glasses.
Hi,

What the OP is looking for can probably be found at one of the big box stores. Ace Hardware kept us stocked up with "loaners" for a number of years at the trap & skeet range.

OTOH, if you've got too much money in your pocket, a visit to Decot can do wonders toward eliminating any "overage!"

https://www.decot.com/ (worth every penny IMHO.)

Rick C

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Buckeye
I think I may have found several possibilities on Amazon. I looked for those with the ANSI 87 ratings (as suggested above) and there appear to be many in the price ranges I could be comfortable with i.e. $10 - $25.
THANKS EVERYONE

J.

I think I may have found several possibilities on Amazon. I looked for those with the ANSI 87 ratings (as suggested above) and there appear to be many in the price ranges I could be comfortable with i.e. $10 - $25.
THANKS EVERYONE

J.
Actually you should look for ANSI 87+ rating. The + adds a much tougher requirement to the glasses impact protection.

I wear glasses that are shatter resistant and found the easiest way to get a good sight picture was to place one of my yellow "EAR" hearing protectors under the center of the bridge of the glasses nosepiece. Raises it just enough and I can still see all else with a very slight head tilt.

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Yeah think mine had that ANSI 87 rating. Paid a couple bucks more for that but only still around $16. Been using for Trap mostly.

Last edited: