Shooting 38 special cartridges in 357 magnum revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I own, and have owned since 1965, a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Mag revolver. I have shot thousands of .38 Special with it, and of many brands. I NEVER clean it before shooting .357 Mag rounds, I simply switch over to them while I am at a shooting range. And then sometimes I switch back to .38 Special rounds, and perhaps I go back to .357 Mag rounds. I have never had an issue of any kind. However, I do always clean my gun when I return home, which includes the cyclinder, the barell, and all around the inside of the frame when the cylinder is out, and the rest of the outer fame as well. So, if there is any such issue when going back and forth between .38 Spec and .357 Mag rounds when using the same revolver, perhaps it may vary based on the individual gun?

I love this thread. I don't shoot a lot never have, but I consistently shoot some whenever I want. I had a GP-100, I shot it with .38 spcl, and it was like shooting a .22 LR. Then I would switch to .357 Mag. No problems. I too occasionally would chamber a spent .357 case. No problems. I don't clean a gun until I have fired 200 rounds through it. I used that gun as a primary arm as an LEO. Qualified with a 97%. No problems at all. I sold it! Yep, stupid move. I have a SP-101 now I treat is I did the GP. I started reloading specifically for the SP. No problems. It isn't for sale. Lol
gramps

codebreaker

Single-Sixer
Would this same "issue" occur with 44 special/44 magnums and 45 ACP/45 Colt like in the Ruger Redhawk convertible?

yes, it can happen anytime you shoot a "shorter" length caliber in ANY revolver and there are lots of instances where this can happen like, S&W or Colts with their 'own' brand calibers, 32, short ,long, .38 short, long,'special', even the newer guns that are chambered for 32 H&R mag, I know folks that shoot other 32 calibers in their guns,,,if it chambers, they shoot it,,, I too over the years have often shot. 22 cal rounds ( shorts ,longs and long rifle) in a .22 magnum, split case, lotsa smoke, etc., but did the job and killed a 'critter' when needed............again, just a GOOD cleaning is all thats needed....I worried MORE in the old days when we shot "corrosive' ammo out of any of our "sporterized" military guns, pistols AND rifles......"and so it goes...." Wil Terry RIP :cool:

Rclark

Hunter
Would this same "issue" ...
Well... there is no 'issue' with .38/357, .44Spec, .44Mag, etc. Just keep the chambers clean. This is another of those threads -- making a mountain out of a mole hill :) . But as I said in my post above, just load .357, and .44 Mag to Special pressures/velocities and the conversation goes away ;) . I don't have any .38 revolvers so don't load any .38 Special cartridges. I do have .44 Special revolvers, so load .44 Special cartridges for them. But for .357 and .44 Magnum, I just load the cartridges to the velocity(s) I want to shoot. End of story.

rickmercuri

Bearcat
I have a 40 year old stainless steel Security Six. I've fired thousands of rounds off .38, .38+p and .357 and never had a binding problem. After reading this post, I examined my weapon and did not see any etching in the cylinder walls. However, it should be noted that I clean my weapon after every use.

codebreaker

Single-Sixer
Well... there is no 'issue' with .38/357, .44Spec, .44Mag, etc. Just keep the chambers clean. This is another of those threads -- making a mountain out of a mole hill :) . But as I said in my post above, just load .357, and .44 Mag to Special pressures/velocities and the conversation goes away ;) . I don't have any .38 revolvers so don't load any .38 Special cartridges. I do have .44 Special revolvers, so load .44 Special cartridges for them. But for .357 and .44 Magnum, I just load the cartridges to the velocity(s) I want to shoot. End of story.
Don't see any mountains - just somebody asking for clarification about guns on a gun forum. Some good info and discussion were provided as usual.

Last edited:

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
Ok I'll be the Moron that DID have a problem. My first handgun was my GP and to save money practicing, and a dabble in bullseye shooting, I shot many 38specials. And as a newb I didn't clean it well. The carbon rings in the chambers are about fossilized. Brass brushes, every solvent I could find, nothing gets it clean. What do I do? Next step is to send it out to get honed but that's a last resort.

dannyd

Buckeye
It's not hard Lewis Lead Cleaner and a little time.

My cleaning kit

C149A31B-7ADF-44CF-A227-3D9143BE9748.jpeg

contender

Ruger Guru
"I shot many 38specials. And as a newb I didn't clean it well. The carbon rings in the chambers are about fossilized. Brass brushes, every solvent I could find, nothing gets it clean. What do I do?"

You've said quite a lot here.
You didn't clean it well. As noted,, most of us do clean our guns in a manner to prevent carbon buildup.

What to do.
Field strip the gun, (basically removing the cylinder.) Find a container that will hold the cylinder, and immerse it in a good cleaning solvent. Start with Ballistol. Soak for a few days,, THEN use the drill & bronze brush. After a good scrubbing,, return the cylinder to the Ballistol. Let sit for a few more days. Repeat a few times. It takes TIME to allow the solvents to penetrate the carbon buildup. You can also switch around a few different solvents to create a differing cleaning effect.

Now,, I had a gun brought to me years ago with a bad carbon ring buildup. Since the owner had shot both jacketed AND cast bullets,, I did that a few times,, then I went for the Outers Foul-Out system. It took about 6 times of allowing that to work. Each time,, it took longer for the system to load up & require me to clean the rod. After it sat for almost 2 hours & still didn't load up, I switched back to Ballistol. A few more times of that,, and the .357 was back to CLEAN chambers.

Honing.
While that may SEEM to be an option, I'd reserve that for a very last resort method. UNLESS,, the throats are undersized or out of round. Then honing would correct the chambers AND clean things. Sometimes the gunsmiths who hone chambers, may use a cutter that's too big UNLESS you specify the problem & do NOT want the chambers opened any further.

irishjack

Bearcat
As others have reported, I have done this for many years with no adverse effects. I also clean my revolvers after each range session. I was involved with cowboy action shooting for a number of years and have noticed that many competitors use lightly loaded 38 special cartridges in firearms chambered for and capable of using 357 magnum .

Duke22

Bearcat
I've shot a LOT of 38's in my 357 guns, almost exclusively my own reloads. My Smith's and Rugers' have no problems switching between the two, however My Colt Python does not chamber 357's very well after running a bunch of 38's, heck it doesn't chamber 357 reloads very well even on a sparkling clean cylinder. New ammo is fine, but it just doesn't like reloads - Always figured it must have very tight chambers and my die doesn't "squeeze" the cases enough. As far as cylinder "etching" I really don't think you'd have to worry about that.