Shootin' today.......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I had a range session this morning. I'm pretty well limited to indoor ranges now. Last year I went one full year without firing a shot, this the covid-19 pandemic problem. At, at my age, I don't shoot as well as I once did.

I have been slowly getting back into the hang of things, practicing at 7 and 10 yards. Today I got optomistic and set my target at 15 yards. I use those Birchwood Casey stick-on "Shoot-N-See" targets. I had this old Super Blackhawk with two batches of loads, both around 1000 ~ 1200 f.p.s., using Winchester 572 and Hodgdon HP-38, both having been good loads for me for awhile. And this old Super Blackhawk stands just short of 19,000 round fired through it:

To my surprise, at 15 yards, 25 shots made one ragged hole maybe 2" high by 1 1/2"
wide. Nothing really to brag about, except all shots were in that pattern with no stray shots.

Bob Wright

bobski

Hunter
dollar, dollar, dollar, dollar.....
felt good right? :>
always feels good to get back into live rounds.
bravo.

wwb

Hunter
Bob Wright said:
........ At, at my age, I don't shoot as well as I once did.......

Bob Wright

Bob, you're not the first man to discover that. Sad, but true. Even though I'm not as good as I once was, I'll be doggoned if I'm gonna give it up.

blume357

Hawkeye
As long as you are putting rounds down range you are still alive and with us and that is a good thing.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Bob - 25 shots in one ragged hole at 15 yards - I'd say your shooting is just fine!

Jim

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Like Snake (another thread) I have gone to shooting pellets. I have two rifles and
two pistols, all in .177 cal. - - - I use a bullet trap that is rated for .22lr and that
allows me to shoot indoors when it is raining or too hot outside. Other than that I
can shoot in my back yard without the neighbors getting upset.

The Beeman P17 has an amazing trigger and just went through a price hike to
about fifty dollars. The bullet trap runs from $60 to $100 depending on where you
buy them. - - - Good part is the pellets; running from one cent per to WAY above
that, iffin you care to pay a bunch more.

With all that you can set up to shoot in any weather for an initial investment of less
than $150 and shoot as often as you like. 8)

P.S. Best part is NOT having to put up with some dummy that doesn't understand
firearm safety, that happened to wander in. :wink:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I've been doing far less shooting than in past years but it's more due to time and weather than expense. I burned through $6 worth of ammo this morning(2 shots).
Here's the way I do it: If I feel like I'm fairly steady(no coffee jangles), I grab the 6.5, crossed sticks, and seat pad and head up the hill to the firing point for the 300 meter gong. W/o stopping to catch my breath and not wasting much time on judging wind drift, I drop the seat pad, sit, unfold the sticks, run the bolt, and shoot. I keep the gong painted and can see the mark from the bullet. If it's a good hit, I shoot again. If it's a miss, I get the UTV and drive over to see where the miss landed.
I'm hoping they get the goats moved out of their current pasture soon. This pasture is directly down range of my rimfire targets which has kept me from shooting there. With MO deer season 2 weeks out and the NM elk trip 3 weeks away, I really need to be shooting 25-30 shots each evening with the 22.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
I think that you (and your Ruger) are doing JUST FINE.... wishing you many more years of shooting that well.

J.

Latest posts