Shoot it or save it? KSP-221X

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Somehow I have a knack for picking up semi-scarce SP-101s!? Traded a decommissioned S&W4006 last year for a KSP-821XTG

This morning I did something similar for a KSP-221X in shot a couple of times shape - 95% (Click for larger)

it is 573-22869 (Chad...not sure if it falls outside your recorded range on these as I only see the range for the non X models.)

The question is if I should shoot it like there is no tomorrow or set it in the stack in the back of the safe. I know they are not common these days and prices are rising, but in the crystal ball of you collectors....it this thing worth trying to keep in the 95% shape it is in or would I be better served saving it for another 20 years?

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
My $0.02 !!! They will most likely NEVER be made again!! :wink: :wink:
For me the choice would be easy, I have other guns to shoot.
Nice snag by the way!!!! :) :)
Terry

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
T.A. WORKMAN":5lz1jj3a said:
My $0.02 !!! They will most likely NEVER be made again!! :wink: :wink:
For me the choice would be easy, I have other guns to shoot.
Nice snag by the way!!!! :) :)
Terry

Good point.

Funny in that I seriously feel like I have an angel and a devil on each shoulder suggesting totally opposite things.

Thanks for the input folks! I may fondle it a lot whenever I open the safe, but will probably enjoy shooting the single sixes and bearcats a little more.

One thing that I can say...in 22lr...the SP-101 is overbuilt like a brick sh##house!

Terry T

Buckeye
How did you determine that it was an 'X' (longer frame) model? I assume you either have the box or called Ruger. My guess is that the 221X is less common than the short frame 221.

I have a short frame version and have shot it. Problem is that it just doesn't shoot all that well for me. (I doubt it's the gun's fault). Since I have others that shoot better for me, this one will not be taken out as much.

As you suggest, the dictionary has a photo of this under the definition of 'overbuilt'. It could have been an 8 or 9 shot which might have been a better seller.

Terry

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Yes...have the box and all the papers, but I measured against my .357 sp 101 to make sure.

I plan on taking it by member flattop44 to get his take on it. I really think I like the concept, but may find a 4" barrel is better suited for this gun.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Shoot it! That's what it's for!

I have a minty 6" Colt Diamondback (blue) that I put 500 or 600 rounds through every year. And every year I clean it up and it looks minty again. It's never been in a holster.

I also have a Smith K22 I've owned and shot for over 30 years and I have no idea how many thousands or tens of thousands of rounds. It also still looks new.

Shoot the thing and enjoy it!