Shipping a Handgun from Wisconsin. Rediculous

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
Boy oh Boy, things have sure changed since I have shipped a handgun direct to an FFL in another state...Geesh.
I sold a Ruger to a fellow in PA and stated must accept shipment from private person to FFL.
After I sold it I called the post office and found out that I can only ship long guns or shot guns thru the mail..period...
So called my local dealer, who informed me that he no longer does that due to having to do background checks as well as run it thru his inventory, or something like that now..
Next I called Fedex....no problem..just bring in a copy of FFL who I was sending it to, plus copy of my drivers license..
Asked them if they could pack it, and yes was the answer..
So today I head (25) miles to the Fedex store, and walk in with the revolver in a case.
Explain to the lady that I want to ship it, and show her my paperwork.
She looks at it and says looks OK..
Then a "Voice from behind the wall" says loudly...sir you need to leave immediately. You cannot bring a handgun inside here...
After a bit of back and forth she says it has to be packaged and tells me out out out...so I take it back to my truck and come back in.
Then get a box, plus some bubble wrap and go back to the truck, pack it securely up and seal the box.
Again I go back in (all the while in a sleet storm) and say ..OK what now..
Hey, I can't make this stuff up...the gal says I forgot to tell you not to seal the box... I have to inspect it...
I say...what is this Saturday Nite Live ????
So she pries one end open, looks at nothing she can see, and tapes it back up.
I said please ship the most economical way, to which she tells me the only way they will ship is overnite.... (WHAT)
Anyway, I say whatever..
So she adds it up and it comes to $107.40 including the bubble wrap.
By now I am totally going off my normally calm demeanor, so kind of rudely slap down a $100 dollar bill, plus a $10.
Hey, I am NOT kidding, she looks at me and says "We don't accept $100 bills"
Won't go on and on, but had to use Credit Card, and wife will kill me for that.
Anyone else go thru this lately ?????
I am all done selling handguns out of state, I can tell you that...

hdonlybob said:
Boy oh Boy, things have sure changed since I have shipped a handgun direct to an FFL in another state...Geesh.
I sold a Ruger to a fellow in PA and stated must accept shipment from private person to FFL.
After I sold it I called the post office and found out that I can only ship long guns or shot guns thru the mail..period...
So called my local dealer, who informed me that he no longer does that due to having to do background checks as well as run it thru his inventory, or something like that now..
Next I called Fedex....no problem..just bring in a copy of FFL who I was sending it to, plus copy of my drivers license..
Asked them if they could pack it, and yes was the answer..
So today I head (25) miles to the Fedex store, and walk in with the revolver in a case.
Explain to the lady that I want to ship it, and show her my paperwork.
She looks at it and says looks OK..

Then a "Voice from behind the wall" says loudly...sir you need to leave immediately. You cannot bring a handgun inside here...
After a bit of back and forth she says it has to be packaged and tells me out out out...so I take it back to my truck and come back in.
Then get a box, plus some bubble wrap and go back to the truck, pack it securely up and seal the box.
Again I go back in (all the while in a sleet storm) and say ..OK what now..
Hey, I can't make this stuff up...the gal says I forgot to tell you not to seal the box... I have to inspect it...
I say...what is this Saturday Nite Live ????
So she pries one end open, looks at nothing she can see, and tapes it back up.
I said please ship the most economical way, to which she tells me the only way they will ship is overnite.... (WHAT)
Anyway, I say whatever..
So she adds it up and it comes to $107.40 including the bubble wrap.
By now I am totally going off my normally calm demeanor, so kind of rudely slap down a $100 dollar bill, plus a $10.
Hey, I am NOT kidding, she looks at me and says "We don't accept $100 bills"
Won't go on and on, but had to use Credit Card, and wife will kill me for that.
Anyone else go thru this lately ?????
I am all done selling handguns out of state, I can tell you that...

The cost has been that way for a while. It's now cheaper for me to let my FFL mail my guns. A flat rate box for 17 bucks and pay him 25 bucks to take it to the Post Office. :?

At least I've not experienced the rest of your hassle at a Fedex hub. Must be the local employees at any given hub that think they're in charge of the world. My local Post Office in Oregon City, however, has become a satellite for the anti gun community, and makes it difficult and sometimes impossible to mail longarms. The idiot manager makes up his own rules. The last time I used the Post Office, I had to bring in printed copies of the Post Office and BATF regulations to prove him wrong. I reported this manager, and received a reply from the same manager saying he will investigate my complaint. Never heard another word. Reported him to my Rep in Congress, and also heard nothing. It's an uphill battle.

Wow! Well, I used to live just outside of Chicago and the last time I was in Wisconsin and wanted to look at a gun, the dealer asked to see my Illinois state issued FOID card. I walked away.

The last time I shipped a handgun UPS it was the same price but not the hassle you got. Sorry...

good excuse, blame the workers, to be able to handle the packages, justifies the HIGH shipping price for over night, "next day air", whatever,,,,,yes BIG bucks to ship a firearm as a "Private citizen" to an FFL ( going across state lines) ,,,,the "law", rules and regulations.......have found that it is best to be "good friends or customer" with a local shop (FFL) that YOU feel comfortable with and will do it the correct ,proper, legal way....worth the money and as noted above, way cheaper,,,the dealers can flat rate the package, FFL to FFL....( shop to shop) one of the main reasons we do NOT do guns via the internet.....besides I want to SEE, FEEL, INSPECT it before I buy it.... 8) :roll: :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted, the fees charged by UPS & FedEx are super high compared to using the USPS. But to use the USPS,, you have to be a FFL.
And as noted,, the shipping cost is MUCH cheaper, even when adding in a transfer fee.

And when UPS & FedEx made it "policy" to ship firearms overnight, it was BECAUSE of internal theft, by a few employees, and as such, they decided to make customers pay more.

So, as noted,,, a local FFL,,, is the best & cheapest route to take when shipping a handgun.

Mus408

Hunter
FedEx here is the same... big sign on front door about no guns and all transactions are credit card only.
However I've had no issues when shipping a revolver back to Ruger or S&W when using a Return Ship label and they haven't yet opened the box.

pete44ru

Hunter
Mus408 said:
I've had no issues when shipping a revolver back to Ruger or S&W when using a Return Ship label and they haven't yet opened the box.

Ditto, here - For a return of a handgun to the factory for whatever, if the factory doesn't offer a prepaid shipping label, I ask for one.

The ones that I've gotten so far (Ruger, Charter ) were all FEDEX labels.

I help out my friendly FFL when sending a handgun by first obtaining a USPS Flat Rate Box before taking the handgun to him for mailing (I wrap it at the FFL's shop, so he can log the SN into his bound book for BATF).

tunnug

Single-Sixer
Unless their rules have changed again it has been permissible to ship handguns second day because of all the complaining about the cost of overnight delivery instead of doing something about the thefts of packages from their own employees, this is from UPS, don't know about FEDEX.
Shipping can only be done from the hubs not the satellite stores.

SWR

Single-Sixer
Ok, I never shipped a handgun. Lets play devils advocate for curiosity and fun. How does anyone know whats in the box at all to begin with if its labeled to - John Doe, 123 Happy Place, etc. Does FedEx xray every box to check contents ?? Are yall generally worried about loss of item - assume all are tracked. Obviously I guess the agency can cause a stink with you if item is mis-represented ?? I assume there is potential of legal problems from ATF if box not properly identified ???

Everyones thoughts please

bogus bill

Hunter
Some years ago I sent a colt saa back to colt for repair. Wife and I went somewhere and when we came home found the gun on the doorstep!

rimmer

Single-Sixer
bogus bill said:
Some years ago I sent a colt saa back to colt for repair. Wife and I went somewhere and when we came home found the gun on the doorstep!

Same with me. A colt .45 sent to Jim Clark for accurizing. 6 months later I come home and the colt, just in its factory box, just sitting on my back porch. The ends of the box didn't even have tape to keep it from opening.

When you ship a firearm FedEx or UPS, you have to go by their rules. Typically you have to declare that you are shipping a firearm and must have the documents they require to show them it is going to a FFL. I have never heard of a FedEx or UPS hub that required the box to be open so that it can be inspected. It is possible that was a local requirement. Once it gets by the counter, only less than a handful of workers know what is in the packages they handle.

Also, when shipping FedEx, UPS or USPS, there should be NO markings on the package that would show that there is a firearm inside, to make sure the bad people in the company can't see it and steal it. If the counter person says that it has to be so marked - GET the manager - if the manager says it has to be marked, - GET their supervisor. The only package that has to be marked is ammunition (can only be shipped UPS or FedEx) and it has to have an ORM-D (small arms ammunition) sticker on it so they know how to move it (by truck, no air shipment for ammo).

If you don't declare that it is a firearm, and it is lost or stolen, you cannot hold the shipper liable, even if you insured it. When you declare it as a firearm, it gets a code in the computer along with the shipper and receiver info. This code is not seen by the average worker.

For the cost, it is much cheaper/easier just to take it to your local FFL and pay them to ship it (with insurance). I have been using USPS to ship firearms (both long guns and handguns) for more than 20 years and I have not had a single firearm lost or stolen. I very, very, very rarely use UPS or FedEx and that is only when I have a preprinted return label from a manufacturer. The only theft I have been involved in was on an incoming handgun that was shipped by UPS. A holiday worker stole it and was convicted of the theft but the gun was never recovered (he said he threw it in a dumpster but we know it went to Philadelphia due to all the information about him and his background).

The two examples above probably happened because the sender did not send them "Adult Signature Required" (which does cost a bit more money but is much safer). I never send a firearm without having an adult signature required. If it did show the ASR on the package, then the delivery person needs to be reported to the company.

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
SWR said:
Ok, I never shipped a handgun. Lets play devils advocate for curiosity and fun. How does anyone know whats in the box at all to begin with if its labeled to - John Doe, 123 Happy Place, etc. Does FedEx xray every box to check contents ?? Are yall generally worried about loss of item - assume all are tracked. Obviously I guess the agency can cause a stink with you if item is mis-represented ?? I assume there is potential of legal problems from ATF if box not properly identified ???

It is a federal crime...so not worth the risk. :)

Ray Newman

Single-Sixer
"So today I head (25) miles to the Fedex store, and walk in with the revolver in a case."
--hdonlybob

The FEDEX "store" probably was the problem. What I have been told by UPS personnel is that the UPS and FEDEX "stores" are franchises and can and will set their own rules. More often than not, they will not ship a firearm. Here, the local UPS mall type "store" refers firearms shippers to the UPS shipping "hub."

I have shipped firearms via UPS at the local shipping "hub" facility. I pre-packaged the firearm, filled out the shipping form, which included a declaration of contents, paid the fee, and was on my way in about 20 minutes.

Similar situation with USPS. Only a FFL can shipping a pistol via USPS. Several years ago, I did ship a pre-1898 rifle to Alaska without any issue via the USPS without any problem. I believe that the clerk said USPS will ship a firearm from a non FFL holder as long as it is not a pistol.

hdonlybob said:
SWR said:

It is a federal crime...so not worth the risk. :)

You got that right :D I had big surprise when an old Ruger that I bought off Gun-Broker ended up in my USPS mail box.
I sent the individual my FFL's info along with my name and address so things would be done the proper/legal way. WRONG :D

hdonlybob

Single-Sixer
UPDATE:
This whole deal has gone goofy..
1. My shipping experience
2. As I had to charge the Fedex on our credit card, my wife now knows I sold a gun, so smells some "House things she wants done" NOT my car project.
3. The gentleman that bought it from me called me today to tell me his dealer called him to tell him the gun was there..shortly thereafter, he slipped on the ice and broke his pelvis....
(Not sure about that revolvers Karma)
HD

diffy40

Single-Sixer
Not that it matters much but yea my wife will know another gun is coming home. Since I can't drive now she'll have to take me to pick it up. I don't know about karma but I won't soon forget the date that I got this one.

Latest posts