Shiny New 8-Shot Redhawks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Man, those new 8-shot .357 RedHawks sure are shiny! I have no actual "need" for one, but man, I sure WANT one. :) Specially the one with the 5.5 inch barrel.

44Alaskan

Bearcat
It is dreamy. The Ruger representitive firing the 2 3/4 inch model double action does it with almost no muzzle flip. I imagine the 5.5 inch barrel would stay right on target. That itself is worth the extra weight. I would have no issues hiding the 4.2 inch barrel model for concealed carry. 96% one shot stopping power for 2 legged threats, 8 rounds, enough weight and bulk to stay on target for multiple shots firing double action, amazing. Trail gun/nightstand/next to you on the car seat, there is no going wrong, unless you already have a trail gun and self-dense gun. Then the end game for purchase is justification, just make something up, lol.

Ruger Redhawk 357 - 2 3/4 Inch barrel Demo Video

Didn't I hear on another thread that these longer barreled models went back to the standard Redhawk grip frame?

I really love my 5.5" .41 Magnum SS Redhawk and I wouldn't sell it. But the one "issue" that gun has is that big steel grip frame. There is a limit to how small the grips can be, overall and down at the bottom. Size and shape are defined. I finally put the really nice Nill wood grips on it and they are beautiful and feel good... but really right on the edge of too big for my medium size hands. The perfect solution would be for Ruger to finally make the transition with the Redhawk design all the way to the Super design, just take away the long shroud on the front. Externally still look the same, until you pull the grips and discover the SRH, GP100 grip stud that lets you do pretty much whatever you want for grips. Second best is to simply make that steel grip frame smaller... like they did on the shorter barreled models. Like a S&W N frame with a RB. Did Ruger actually go all the way back to the full size?

rangerbob

Buckeye
The longer 4.2" and 5.5" 8 shots use the standard square butt frame that Hogue and others make grips for. I like the 5.5" myself. Bob!! :mrgreen:

djw54

Single-Sixer
tulsamal said:
Didn't I hear on another thread that these longer barreled models went back to the standard Redhawk grip frame?

That does appear to be the case. The only Redhawk with the rounded grip frame and a barrel longer than 2.75" is the 45lc/45acp (unless the 4" models with the Hogue monogrip have it hidden; the descriptions on Ruger.com don't specify).

rangerbob

Buckeye
I've found that Redhawks with round butts include 2.75" models in 357,41, and 44 Magnum. The .45 Colt / ACP 4.2 ", #5032 and the 4.2" full lug 44 magnum #5058 are round butts as well. Everything else is a square butt. Bob!! :D

Thel

Blackhawk
On the square butt Redhawks Hogue and Herretts make grips that can be sized to fit one's hand. I had a Herrett made up (they suggested a Roper style) that fit my hand perfectly for double action shooting and I have a size 9.5-10 hand. One sends in a hand tracing that is utilized.

barrya

Bearcat
rangerbob said:
I've found that Redhawks with round butts include 2.75" models in 357,41, and 44 Magnum. The .45 Colt / ACP 4.2 ", #5032 and the 4.2" full lug 44 magnum #5058 are round butts as well. Everything else is a square butt. Bob!! :D
The 41 mag 4.2 has the round butt. That is the only thing I don't like about it.

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
barrya said:
rangerbob said:
The 41 mag 4.2 has the round butt. That is the only thing I don't like about it.

The 4.2 41 mags made in 2015-2016 all have square butts. I know because I bought one of the first ones. This year, Ruger did a small run of 4.2 41 mags with round butts and checkered grip panels like on the 45c/45acp models. These guns were listed on Davidsons and almost immediately got snapped up.

I have been an N frame S&W collector for many years. And I've always liked the big square butts. They fit the guns. But I've gradually changed my mind on the grip frame design. If it is square... there you are. If it is a round butt, you can put smaller and more tapered grips on it. Or you can put grips on it that copy the square butt size and feel. Seems more versatile to me.

Gregg

In the case of the Redhawk, yeah the RB would be nice... but what I actually want is the SRH/GP grip! Then I can access hundreds of designs and easily swap them around depending on use and load.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
ditto1958 said:
Man, those new 8-shot .357 RedHawks sure are shiny! I have no actual "need" for one, but man, I sure WANT one. :) Specially the one with the 5.5 inch barrel.
I wish people would stop talking about the new 8-shot 357 Redhawks.

The lore of the old 6-shot Redhawks was just about more than I could stand, now this. :shock: :shock: :shock:

TheDude

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
ditto1958 said:

The lore of the old 6-shot Redhawks was just about more than I could stand, now this. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Do not, under any circumstances shoot one Jimbo, unless you are prepared to buy it! :)

I have dozens of revolvers but ordered an 8-shot redhawk (2 and 3/4") and a 3 3/4" Bisley 44mag on a whim. Mostly just wanted to try them out, expecting to sell them off later.

The Bisley is a sweet gun and shoots very nicely but the Redhawk...man, I just flat out love that gun in all regards. Much more than I thought i would. My regular "fishing, or woods gun" is a 4 inch RH in 44mag. I'm pretty sure its been dethroned....at least for now.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
ditto1958 said:

I think there needs to be MORE talk about 8-shot 357 Redhawks.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
ditto1958 said:
...is there no cure for this new Redhawk-itis ???? Who would have thought that Ruger would start-in with variations on their older designs ??? :mrgreen:

TheDude

Single-Sixer
I cant remember any point in time that there were SO MANY new revolvers out that I want to test drive or just buy and toss in storage.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
ditto1958 said:
...is there no cure for this new Redhawk-itis ???? Who would have thought that Ruger would start-in with variations on their older designs ??? :mrgreen:

Nope. No known cure, and nothing promising on the horizon. Get out your pocket book and pay, pay, pay. :)

Latest posts