Shilen 17 HMR Barrel for my 77/22 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I was going to wait until I tried it out, but that may be a few weeks. I researched, then ordered a Shilen 17 HMR barrel for my 77/22 mag a week ago, directly from Shilen. I just went with the blued version for $80 or so cheaper than stainless.

My 22 has the simple "V-block" that holds the barrel on, very simple. The 1st thing I noticed is my factory 22 mag barrel fit in the receiver with a tad of play. It came out very easily. The Shilen barrel has a much tighter fit. I had to 'polish' the shank and inside of the receiver a small amount. By doing a small amount at a time I did just enough to allow the barrel to mate up. It was already tight before I tightened the V-Block.

I just check cycling, all looks good now. The next step is to test fire. I tracked down some Federal & Hornady 17 HMR ammo to try out, both 17 grain V-Max bullets.

I've been considering a 17 HMR for a while, heard to many 'fun' reports. I'm trying to get back to SD for a prairie dogging trip too. I think it would be nice to have starting off on a mid June dogging shoot. One could switch to the centerfires after the closer action.

Anyway, that's how far I've made it. Once I do some shooting I should know more.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I did a shilen match grade barrel on my 22 mag too but kept it a 22 mag. I put it in a new factory black laminated stock , left the pressure pad in it , and bedded the action and first 2" of the barrel. Had my gunsmith slick up the action and the trigger while he was at it and I had a 3x9 Leupold lying around to top it off. After all was said and done , this thing is amazingly accurate for the 22 mag not being known for accuracy.

Im impressed with the quality of the Shilen barrel and would guess you will be pretty happy with yours too. I took mine on a pdog trip and it doesnt get much more fun than the close up shooting with a rimfire! Up to 100 yards or so it's almost as explosive as the centerfires at distance! This year I plan on doing it again and laser ranging more to see how far I can connect with it.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I did a sight-in with the new 17 HMR barrel yesterday. It's been plenty cold out but there has been a coon hanging around to close to the house. With our new pup(German Shepherd) in the house the coon isn't welcomed. The breeder cautioned that even the coon pee can cause problems, that's before we get to the 30% chance of roundworm in the poop issue.

We were back yesterday for another round of puppy shots. I promised I would step up my pest control. The wife saw the coon twice , just tracks for me. I have a few alternative methods, but for now will just keep an eye peeled.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
Just an update on my varmint control efforts with the 17 HMR. The other day I see a possum under the crab apple tree, mid day. I quickly get the 17 HMR & get to the porch. The possum was about 40 yards away, facing forward.

At the shot he hardly twitches. I give him a few minutes then dispose of him for the crows. I didn't look real close but there is no noticeable entrance or exit hole. The 17 grain bullet seemed the perfect medicine for the pest.