Shadetree 'smithing question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HammerMTB

Bearcat
I need to tighten the bbl on my Blackhawk. I found the ejector housing quite easy to remove. Now to grab the bbl....
My idea is to take me a piece of hardwood, split it with a bandsaw, clamp the 2 pieces back together, and drill thru the cut to the bbl diameter, in this case .750"
I also thought it might behoove me to get some rosin to help grip the bbl.

My question is, is this how it's done? Got any further suggestions?
For the sake of those curious, I'm getting the front sight vertical, instead of canted off- it's not going to take much.

If in I were you I'd send it to Ruger and let them take care of it. They are not "Shade Tree Smiths"

There are other issues also cylinder gap Ejecter rod screw out of alingment. And marring the barrel. If the front sight is canted off to one side, How does it shoot?

Bet ruger will take care of it free of charge. ps

john guedry

Single-Sixer
I had that problem with my SBH,sent it to Ruger,they fixed it ,no charge. However it did cost me to ship it to them.

SAJohn

Hunter
I am surprised that Mr. Bowen used such a simple wooden cylinder frame wrench. Ruger barrels are famously tight and the frames can be damaged. I would square cut that wooden wrench and bolt on additional wood to the inserted end so as to maximize wood to frame contact area.

If that frame gets bent, you will selling the rest of the parts in the Classified section.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I have removed Ruger barrels by wrapping them in leather and using a hardwood block as you describe inserted into the frame window. Folks have been sighting in fixed-sight guns in this manner for years. I sure as hell wouldn't send a sixgun back to Ruger for something I could fix myself so easily.

HammerMTB

Bearcat
CraigC":1fr6uos4 said:
I have removed Ruger barrels by wrapping them in leather and using a hardwood block as you describe inserted into the frame window. Folks have been sighting in fixed-sight guns in this manner for years. I sure as hell wouldn't send a sixgun back to Ruger for something I could fix myself so easily.

Thanks for the feedback, Craig. Leather could be another option to get this done.
As for those who fear all that might go wrong, here's a quote from Teddy Roosevelt:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
I was surprised when I saw that Bowen article too. I saw a 30 cal Bhk barrel on so tight it nearly bent one guys homeade frame wrench. And the last time I had a 357 flat top removed by a different smith, he couldn't believe how tight it was either.