Service Six values, 4", .38

Help Support Ruger Forum:

djw54

Single-Sixer
Saw a 4" .38 Police Service Six at local shop yesterday. It locked up tight and cycled well, but had a fair bit of finish wear, holster-type, to the bluing, and pachmeyr grips. $399 seemed high, to me. There are a couple of like models on GB in slightly better cosmetic condition for about the same price, with original grips, and there's one in box that looks pristine for $495. Wasn't really looking for one, but there it is. If it had been $300ish (like the 2.75 Security Six I found a few years ago, very clean blue), I would have probably gone for it, but are those days gone?... [/ramble]
Don

Terry T

Buckeye
There are a few odd variations that would be worth it but it does seem a bit 'proud' for a run of the mill .38 with that much holster wear.
One would be looking for LE markings. Most were sold to LE agencies. We estimate only 20% to 25% Police Service Sixs were made up in .38 spl. and many of these were destroyed after police agencies replaced them with semi autos rather than be sold to the public putting them 'back on the street'.
I also assume it's not an early 'low back' frame. We have yet to find one of those with the 'Police Service Six' roll mark - the low back fixed sight square butt guns were roll marked 'Security Six', same as the adjustable sight guns.
Just a few comments,
Terry T

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I paid $300.00 + shipping and transfer a few years ago for mine. It is .38 Special, stainless, 4" barrel, and 1988 production (last year for the Six series). I don't think it was an LE gun as it had been fired little and had no agency markings or evidence of being carried in a holster. I love that revolver, it is everything a wheelgun should be. I wouldn't change a thing about it, even the skinny wood grips and .38 Special only chambering.

k22fan

Blackhawk
For comparison purposes you ordinarily have to add shipping and local FFL fees or $50 to $80 on to Gone Broker or other internet prices. Local revolvers can be checked for end shake, carry up and rotational play at lock up. Those for sale at a distance are always claimed to be stupendous in those regards. Some sellers even tell the truth. I would buy a revolver I could handle rather than save $50.

The Six series has had a resurgence of late and the prices have gone up. But many times it is regional, some places the price for one in this condition would be $299 or less. Go to another region of the US and it would be $450. Really no rhyme or reason. When I see one on an auction site and don't see enough info from this description and/or pictures, I send a message to the seller asking specific questions. Sometimes I get and answer, sometimes not. If I can pick it up and examine it that makes things a lot easier to determine if it might be something special. And if it is really something special, then I take into account the condition and decide if the price is worth it or if I need to make a lower offer (with the cash in my hand where they can see it. :)