Seriously considering a RPR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Seriously considering the purchase of a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308.

Looks like it's capable of performing everything I need!

The reviews here and everywhere else are top notch. Not even the haters can hate.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I was just given a NightForce 15X to 55X scope and plan to put it on the RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Friends are telling me to put it on a 338 Lapua, but I'd rather use it on something I'll shoot more than once in a while.

Capona

Bearcat
Ruger indicates barrel changes are easy and quick for a gunsmith. So I thought it would be good to get one in .308, and change to another caliber like 6.5 later if I wanted.
But Ruger won't do barrel changes and indicate the warranty is voided if a gunsmith makes the change.
It seems odd thAt Ruger markets this as a benefit for easy barrel changes but then voids their warranty.

Capona

Bearcat
That true but many companies will provide those barrel change services at a cost of course.
But that's the rub. They won't do the service.

huntsman22 said:
There isn't anything 'odd' about a company that won't warrant work done by some bubba that is not in their employ....

huntsman22

Blackhawk
If you elect to bypass/void a warranty by having a third party work on the rifle, why would you think it 'odd' that the afforementioned company will refuse to warrant it?

the real 'rub' is, you know going in, these outfits that will rebarrel your rifle (at a cost, of course) do not care if the work will void the factory warranty or not. Because they think you are a big boy now, and capable of making big-boy choices......

Capona

Bearcat
Again, the rub is that Ruger doesn't provide the service or offer authorized service providers so that it would be under warranty.
That is my rub in short.
Otherwise their marketed benefit of easy barrel replacement is very much another negative and not a benefit.

huntsman22 said:
If you elect to bypass/void a warranty by having a third party work on the rifle, why would you think it 'odd' that the afforementioned company will refuse to warrant it?

the real 'rub' is, you know going in, these outfits that will rebarrel your rifle (at a cost, of course) do not care if the work will void the factory warranty or not. Because they think you are a big boy now, and capable of making big-boy choices......

gtxmonte

Buckeye
This is not a big deal. While not a "switch barrel" it does have a barrel nut, ala Savage, so swapping barrels just requires the extra barrel and a go-no, go gauge to set the headspace. So there is no "Bubba" work involved.

I suppose IF you NEEDED to send it back, you could simply screw the factory barrel back on, although there is not many things you will have to send a bolt gun back for. But once you modify a gun from factory, it becomes a custom and is what it is.....yours to maintain.

I swap barrels around on my Savages quite often...........nothing to it

Latest posts