Serious question on internet sales

Help Support Ruger Forum:

peachhead

Single-Sixer
Other than big checks for thousands of dollars, checks clear in 24 hours max.
Depends on the bank and the amount. Banks can and will put a hold on a check over a certain amount for as long as five days. Stupid, but it happens.

one bullet

Single-Sixer
Caution is the better part of valor. I would advise him I wouldn't be doing business with him and end all communication. Unless I missed that you've already done that.

Joni Lynn

Bearcat
Anytime someone makes me the least bit uncomfortable with the 'arrangement', I bail out. This guy sounds to me like he thinks he has figured out a way to scam you.

Still trying to figure out the scam... I don't think the average scam artist is looking for Contender's items... they want money.... electronically and it sounds like they were trying to figure out a squirrelly way to pay....

Mike J

Hunter
I think you went above & beyond trying to be reasonable & accommodate the buyer. The first thing I thought when I read you first post was if it doesn't feel right it probably isn't. I believe you handled it about as well as you could. You went out of your way to try to make the deal happen.

contender

Ruger Guru
Thanks to all here who responded & confirmed my feelings, as well as the fishy way the guy wanted to pay.
He wanted to pay with a card, over the phone, and have me ship immediately. All at the PO. He wanted my stuff, but his methods of trying to pay weren't normal. I tried & tried to get him to just buy the m/o and mail it to me, but he didn't want to wait for his payment method to clear.
That Forum admins have been made aware of things, and it's up to them what happens next. I'm not out anything but time trying to help a guy get something he wanted.
I tried,,, but he failed.

Time to move on.

tazbigdog

Blackhawk
RUN AWAY!!!! I had. Similar scam on Craigslist. They wanted to send me a $1,000 personal check, and the. I was to send them back the balance/difference.

The check arrived, and I called the bank. Bank claimed it was stolen.

Needless to say, if your guy cannot get to the post office, get a money order, and is incapable of mailing it to you, RUN AWAY!