Serious question on internet sales

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, I have a serious question concerning an internet sale.
Situation;
A person asks in a WTB ad for an item.
I had such item. He asked about a few other things. I had them too.
He asked for a price. It was given, and agreed to.
He first wanted to do a FTF pick-up.
I was agreeable,, yet I wasn't able to drive to meet him. He would have to come to me,, OR,, OR,, I could ship on his dime.
He allowed shipping would be best. He offered PP, to which I'm not set up for that, or any other electronic payment. I said; "A check or USPS money order would be fine."

Here's where it gets weird.

He wants to do a video phone conference sale. He wants to get into a conference with my post office employee, buy a USPS money order over the phone, using his CC. AND,, he wants to have them sell him a money order, over the phone, again using his CC, to be made out to me. That way he says I'd get paid immediately, AND I could ship immediately.

I had NEVER heard of this type of transaction.

We agreed to go to our respective PO's, at a pre-determined time, to try this. I also said I'd have to check with my postmaster about doing this. I got to my PO early, and asked them about this. They've never done it, and would not be able by USPS rules do it.

Well, I texted the buyer, and said that it couldn't be done his way. He offered a video conference to show his face, ID etc. I said for him to call my PO & I provided their phone number. He instead insisted that a purchase could be made via phone & all. Yet, he never called while I was there. I politely said to send me a USPS money order,, and I'd ship the same day I got it,,, OR, a check and I'd wait for it to clear before I shipped the stuff.

He tries to say all kinds of things. Including how he's had m/o's stolen, packages not sent, and doesn't know me, along with conflicting comments about first buying a m/o and a few minutes later says he needs to know if we can complete this & send me a m/o.

After trying to get him to just agree to buy & mail me a USPS m/o, or a check,,, without a response,, I left my PO. I'd spent almost 1/2 an hour at my PO trying to get him to just do a normal transaction. I left & went to work.

He later texts me saying I changed our agreement, and that he'd called my PO & had his PO guy talking to them, saying they could do his type of transaction. He said that 99% of the people in the world do this typo of transaction. (Over the phone stuff.) I said that if I call a company, and place an order, they take my info & AFTER they are assured of payment, they ship my product. And that if I mail a check, it's often held until it clears. But he claims that's not "normal."

All this info above is leading to my SERIOUS question.
Has anybody here on a normal & regular basis been able to call a PO, and buy a money order over the phone for a shipping label, AND a separate money order to be given to a person at the receiving PO for a sale of an item?
My postal guy said never.

And ALL of the folks I've spoken with say "Scam." I too feel it was a scammer. Yet,, the gun forum he's on, he's been a member for about a year with over 100 posts. I have a name, address, and phone number, that sent & received many, many text messages.

And his most recent messages say I was at fault, and I broke our agreement, and that he was willing to let it go as long as I was willing to do the same thing. And that if I contacted the Admins of that Forum, he'd give them all the messages & prove I was at fault.

Basically, a very bizarre exchange where he was pushing for me to ship my stuff at the same time he was supposedly paying for it via the USPS. His main thing was "former rip-offs,, thefts, and not wanting to wait for mail to me & my mail to him."

But this crap of ordering & paying for USPS money orders over the phone was bizarre.

Thoughts? Anyone done this?

And no,, I've not mailed him anything, nor will I. I say scam. But I really want to know if anybody else has done this type of transaction.

buckaroo

Banned
Foreign scam, stay away from it. Americans don't talk like that. And don't rule out a set-up to find out if you are selling guns to criminals.
Remember what the Obama gang tried to do. They want a narrative to sell that law abiding gun owners are crooked.

2ManyRugers

Bearcat
It is a scam. Post office has never accepted credit cards for money orders. Only debit cards are accepted as electronic payment.

It is common for a user to have their login and password stolen, that would explain how he’s able to use what appears to be a valid account. He may even be using it while the legitimate owner is still using it.

His attempt to silence your feedback on that forum is him trying to keep stolen account viable and hence the scam viable for the next mark. I’d post your experience or reach out to the forum admins.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Here's my take on this: I've been retired from USPS too long to say if such a transaction is possible but even if it is, this seems shady. I do know that the local Post Office people ask if I'm paying with cash or DEBIT(we did only cash money order sales when I was working) but to ask for a money order to be paid with CC and handed to a third party in a distant location triggers all sorts of suspicions.
Friendly advice: just let it go but pass the judgement(feedback)on to others to stifle this guy's shady dealings.

JBP

Bearcat
Ok, I have a serious question concerning an internet sale.
Situation;
A person asks in a WTB ad for an item.
I had such item. He asked about a few other things. I had them too.
He asked for a price. It was given, and agreed to.
He first wanted to do a FTF pick-up.
I was agreeable,, yet I wasn't able to drive to meet him. He would have to come to me,, OR,, OR,, I could ship on his dime.
He allowed shipping would be best. He offered PP, to which I'm not set up for that, or any other electronic payment. I said; "A check or USPS money order would be fine."

Here's where it gets weird.

He wants to do a video phone conference sale. He wants to get into a conference with my post office employee, buy a USPS money order over the phone, using his CC. AND,, he wants to have them sell him a money order, over the phone, again using his CC, to be made out to me. That way he says I'd get paid immediately, AND I could ship immediately.

I had NEVER heard of this type of transaction.

We agreed to go to our respective PO's, at a pre-determined time, to try this. I also said I'd have to check with my postmaster about doing this. I got to my PO early, and asked them about this. They've never done it, and would not be able by USPS rules do it.

Well, I texted the buyer, and said that it couldn't be done his way. He offered a video conference to show his face, ID etc. I said for him to call my PO & I provided their phone number. He instead insisted that a purchase could be made via phone & all. Yet, he never called while I was there. I politely said to send me a USPS money order,, and I'd ship the same day I got it,,, OR, a check and I'd wait for it to clear before I shipped the stuff.

He tries to say all kinds of things. Including how he's had m/o's stolen, packages not sent, and doesn't know me, along with conflicting comments about first buying a m/o and a few minutes later says he needs to know if we can complete this & send me a m/o.

After trying to get him to just agree to buy & mail me a USPS m/o, or a check,,, without a response,, I left my PO. I'd spent almost 1/2 an hour at my PO trying to get him to just do a normal transaction. I left & went to work.

He later texts me saying I changed our agreement, and that he'd called my PO & had his PO guy talking to them, saying they could do his type of transaction. He said that 99% of the people in the world do this typo of transaction. (Over the phone stuff.) I said that if I call a company, and place an order, they take my info & AFTER they are assured of payment, they ship my product. And that if I mail a check, it's often held until it clears. But he claims that's not "normal."

All this info above is leading to my SERIOUS question.
Has anybody here on a normal & regular basis been able to call a PO, and buy a money order over the phone for a shipping label, AND a separate money order to be given to a person at the receiving PO for a sale of an item?
My postal guy said never.

And ALL of the folks I've spoken with say "Scam." I too feel it was a scammer. Yet,, the gun forum he's on, he's been a member for about a year with over 100 posts. I have a name, address, and phone number, that sent & received many, many text messages.

And his most recent messages say I was at fault, and I broke our agreement, and that he was willing to let it go as long as I was willing to do the same thing. And that if I contacted the Admins of that Forum, he'd give them all the messages & prove I was at fault.

Basically, a very bizarre exchange where he was pushing for me to ship my stuff at the same time he was supposedly paying for it via the USPS. His main thing was "former rip-offs,, thefts, and not wanting to wait for mail to me & my mail to him."

But this crap of ordering & paying for USPS money orders over the phone was bizarre.

Thoughts? Anyone done this?

And no,, I've not mailed him anything, nor will I. I say scam. But I really want to know if anybody else has done this type of transaction.
Sounds like a variation of a Craig List scam. Even if it wasn't I would never meet someone anywhere.

Must be a small town thing as well. I have tried to find the phone number of my local post office. I cannot find any except the 1-800 number.

But I seriously doubt any postal employee is going to do such a transaction in the first place.

My serious answer to the question is just tell the guy to " %&*# off", would taken me about seven seconds to get to that, I've gotten more
patient as I've aged.
Never heard of the post office doing that.
You're a good hearted person to even think about all that BS on the scammers part. Let the mods know and maybe they can remove the
account from here.

Enigma

Hunter
I totally agree with the above. Even the suggestion of this type of jumping through hoops for the buyer's convenience would be a non-starter. It's undoubtedly a scam. And FWIW, my bank (Bank of America) puts a 10-day hold on USPS money orders when I deposit them. A personal check clears in one business day.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok y'all, first off,,, it was NOT,, I repeat,,, NOT this forum.

Second. The minute he wanted to do a phone purchase via the USPS, etc,, and the way he described it, I smelled a scam.
Yet,, I try & be a good seller or buyer, and if the guy was legit, I wanted to try & complete the deal.
That's why I was patient, and wasted more time than I should have.

FM; I read the 3.2 section. And especially the part about types of payment. Confirmed just what my post office said.
Kevin, You've been to my area. You've driven by the LL post office. Yes, small town, and easily accessed,, even by phone. And I was standing there and got it from my guy and sent it in a text.

So,, my suspicions are confirmed. Nobody has ever used a phone conversation or a video chat to buy money orders remotely.

I went on that Forum last night, to see if I could find a moderator. They don't have a way to contact the office or admins etc. I want to back door this guy and let the Forum owner(s) know what's going on.
I'm also sending his info to a LEO detective.

The actual owner of the account may be legit, and the scammer may be somewhere else. If so, I don't want to hurt the honest guy.

buckaroo

Banned
Just remember the government doesn't care if you are honest. By the time they get done with you you will become the main link between the Mexican cartels gun running.
The good news is this thread may save you, of course after thousands of dollars in legal bills and a real disdain for cross-dressers. :(

p.s. and you'll lose you gun rights but after 7 years, $10,000 dollars+and 3 Court Orders for the ATF to clear your record you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Tyrone, try your best to get in touch with the admins on that site. Send them a copy of what you posted here and bold and highlight the section where he threatens you if you go to the admins of the sight. Personally I don't think he would do anything. There are scammers that will work a system for a while to be able to get to the point of hitting that one big score so I would more look at his posts to see what they are like. I would be interested in seeing how much he posts on that forum in the future. I would not try to contact the forum member as the scammer probably has access and probably will be following the forum to see what happens. The backdoor would be they way to go, there has got to be a way to get in touch with the admin.

We all know it's a scam. I read this before I went to pick up my mail and so had a long discussion with the workers and the postmaster and they said Nope, they would not do it even if they could, sounded like a scam immediately to them, too many hoops to jump through and just didn't pass the smell test. Cash or debit cards only and one actually said, wait, I think we can take travelers checks too, so they looked it up. Then buyer gets the physical money order to send, they don't do E-Money Orders.