sercurity six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i checked with another local shop today, he has a sercurity six blue 4inch. it has what he called target wood grips. the blueing is worn from holster wear around the muzzle up the barrel, about the first inch of barrel is bare. lockup is good with just a little play, barrel is straight. i got him down to $300otd for it, is the price a good one? i would rate blueing about 60-70%, mechanics of cylinder lockup good with just a little play, trigger felt good. also i like rubber grips, are there any rubber grips i can get for it? the target wood grips are fine and are not cracked but i prefer rubber. he has a taurus 66 stainless with 6inch barrel that looks like new for the same price but the cylinder has quite a bit of play. i need to get a gun to carry as a woods,hiking and camping gun. i'm gonna get it tomorrow or monday and need a little help deciding. thanks

exlogger

Single-Sixer
Sounds like a real good deal. I have 3 Security Six revolvers and the best rubber grips IMO are here:
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/rubsecsixsqu1.html

sixfour1.jpg

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
what would it cost to refinish a six? although it will be a woods gun i do like my guns to look good. thanks

Sax.45

Single-Sixer
First of all I would buy the Ruger. The Six series revolvers are great revolvers. Ruger could reblue the gun but mite be a bit pricy. Shipping to and from plus cost or rebluing. It mite be a better idea to find someone locally who has a good reputation to do it. But remember the wear will still happen if you carry in a holster. I would clean and prep just the area with blueing loss and use a cold blue and repeat as necessary and keep lightly lubed.

donut757

Blackhawk
the taurus vs security six shouldnt be a question...

Those six series guns are fantastic platforms.. my favorite. my 4" stainless security six is my go to gun for about anything.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i went today to check them out and will purchase one tomorrow, the ruger locks up tight and i mean tight with hammer down and trigger pulled but looks a bit rough. the taurus with trigger pulled and hammer down had quite a bit of play but not so to put the cylinder out of alignment. i used a light and all 7 cylinder holes lined up pefect with the firing pin centered, the movement of the cylinder seemed like alot but with the light it didn't show any of the cylinder at the forcing cone. one thing about the taurus too, when it was at rest and holding it by the grip if i shook my hand fast the cylinder would rattle. also he had a gp 100 357 mag blue 4inch 90% on the bluing and it was rock solid in everything i tried, however the barrel is slightly canted not much but a little. he wanted $350 for it. thanks

donut757

Blackhawk
donut757 said:
the taurus vs security six shouldnt be a question...

Those six series guns are fantastic platforms.. my favorite. my 4" stainless security six is my go to gun for about anything.

again taurus vs Sec six shouldnt even be a question... you can have a gun reblued. id be willing to bet that a nice looking taurus wont last half the life the worn down ruger will, your great grandkids couldnt put that ruger to the point of being out of service in their lifetimes. and try and send a gun back to taurus for repair/work... read a little on the horror stories dealing with that.

I never thought I would hear anyone ask if the Ruger was a better gun than a tarus?? I think it might be a question that could be debated if there was a question between a GP-100, or a Security six, that would be a toss up decided by personal preference, but the tarus isn't even on the same same playing field, both Ruger Models are top choices, as already said, last for generations! There is a bit of pride in showing off the older Rugers and the Security Six is a stellar performer! Let us know how you like it!

You don't have to have it reblued, you could get it Cerakoted. I have Cerakoted several Security Sixes that finish wise were basket cases and they turned out pretty good. Cerakote, when done correctly is very tough. I have a friend that I Cerakoted his S&W and he has been carrying it daily for 18 months now with no appreciable wear to the finish.

Here are a few examples of what I have done.

016-3.jpg

021-3.jpg

031-2.jpg

The Beast

Bearcat
Awesome work, RoninPA!

Did you do the jeweling yourself, or have it sent out to do.

If you did it yourself, do you mind if I ask how you did it?

I don't mind at all if you ask.

I did it myself, I used the jeweling kit from Brownells, my drill press and a X-Y axis machinist table to clamp everything. For the jeweling on the cylinder flutes I had to build a special jig to hold the cylinder properly.

Now for clarification, I do own/run a one man (me) gun repair and refurbishing shop, abet part time for now. It doesn't pay the household bills but it does pay for the Rugers I collect (mainly the DA's - the Six series and GP100's) :D

The Beast

Bearcat
that's great!

I look forward to seeing more pictures of your work b/c I think it's outstanding

The Beast

Bearcat
Hey RoninPA, are those Jay Scott # 62s on that second gun?

If so, how do you like them? How do they compare to the factory grips in thickness and feel? Oh heck, tell me everything you can about them, please.

I got those grips from an auction on Gun Broker. Got those and another set for 150 s/n guns for $32.00. I do believe they are Jay Scotts (Zebrawood) and they fit the gun and my hands perfectly. The wood to metal fit has no gaps or high spots.

The Beast

Bearcat
RoninPA said:
I got those grips from an auction on Gun Broker. Got those and another set for 150 s/n guns for $32.00. I do believe they are Jay Scotts (Zebrawood) and they fit the gun and my hands perfectly. The wood to metal fit has no gaps or high spots.

Thanks, I need a set and will probably order in a day or two. Found a set that looks like they might be original factory 150 series wood, but I'm not too sure I want to risk it, especially since I can get a sure bet for much less. Those are laminated aren't they?

Actually they aren't laminated, it's a type of wood that grows that way naturally. I've seen grips made from it that are even more strikingly unique than these. Those grips, with the different grain patterns can get very expensive.

The Beast

Bearcat
Huh, that's interesting. I'll probably order some soon. Speaking of ordering parts, you wouldn't know how hard it is to change a rear sight to the white outline model, would you? I ask b/c I say a gunsmith do it to a S&W and they made it look awful complicated. Would love it if the Ruger's was simpler to replace.

It's not that hard to change out the blade. You remove the adjusting screw and then the harder part happens - getting the blade out :wink: It doesn't just lift straight out because of the shape. When you get your new W/O blade you'll see how it is made. You have to grab it and slide it all the way to one side to get the one edge out then the rest will follow. Reverse the process to put the new one in. Takes about 5 min.