September 1st - an unofficial national holiday.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfsong

Staff member
Is everybody ready for Thursday morning? I don't know about your neck of the woods, but here in Central California the doves are sure ready. Birds everywhere! I can't hardly wait to put my new shotgun to use for the first time. Thanks again, Wayno! She shoots and handles like a true bird gun. Now to see if I can do it justice and knock my share down.

With the price of shot shells these days, I hope I can shoot straight and follow through. $190 including tax for a case of 12 ga. steel 7 1/2 shot! $1.31 a round!

We'll be setting up the dekes Wednesday evening. We'll be hunting the fence line between almond orchards behind us and open BLM grasslands in front of us, with the Merced River about half a mile beyond that. Water, grass, trees, almonds (yes, the doves around here eat almonds!) - should be good hunting. We have enough Mojo decoys to sink a battleship. They work!

Field reports to follow. We hope y'all have a safe and plentiful Opening Day holiday! Good luck!

Peace and God bless.

P.S. Rick Courtright, you'd better get your butt out there!

txramfan

Single-Sixer
Going to miss opening day again, but that's ok I've got other things going on now and there is always next year. A big group ( 30 or so ) use to hunt two fields, 1 in the morning that wasn't really productive the one other field always had birds. They flew to roost behind the field and limits were attainable. Always involved a couple nights at a motel, some camped out.
Now a few family members meet at a friends place closer to home, 40 miles or so , birds are thin , conversations and the steak dinner make for a good afternoon.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I don't shotgun but I wish you good luck anyway.
September 1st for me means the opening of Snook Season. I better start getting ready, gota check the tides and check-out the rods and reels.

Brings back fond memories of the days we would hunt the Imperial Valley around the El Centro irrigated fields. Would show up a couple days early and scout the wheat and other grain fields, finding one that was recently harvested and not posted. In the younger days camping out in the scrub area, later in life in a Holiday Inn, bringing the Ladies and enjoying the swimming pool. Daybreak Sept. 1st out in the irrigation ditch next to the field just waiting for the birds to fly. Memories for sure.
Hope you do well on your hunt.

fiasconva

Single-Sixer
I was out in Wichita, Kansas last week and they had cut a few corn fields. The doves were so thick they looked like flies flying around a carcass. I was so envious of those hunters once their season starts.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
I live in far, far, far, North Dallas, and my little town is exploding with people moving out of the "Metroplex" and moving to "the country." Rooftops are exploding everywhere and some are outside of the city limits. I posted this notice on social media this afternoon just for them. 👿

A reminder for the new folks who have moved to (my town), tomorrow is the first day of dove season. You will hear gunfire at random times from 30 minutes before sunrise to sundown. You do not need to call the police or the County.
Welcome to a small (growing) country town. :D

I plan on sitting on my little stock tank with an 870 and a rod and reel and a purple worm to chunk while I wait for the birds to come in. There are actually a few birds around this year.
The shame is all of the places I used to hunt and fish are now owned by people who will not let people on their property or want to charge a $100 a day, a gun, to hunt there. :confused:

langenc

Single-Sixer
Was lucky to hunt Hondo, TX for dove back in 1965 and 66. I bet much of that is now homes/shopping centers. Was there about 1998 and the old BBQ place in Hondo had been replaced w/ a McDonalds-yuk, yuk.

Ammo was $2.00/25 and the yuppies hadnt got steel shot around yet. I suppose it was being worked on then.
Copper bullets and coming fast. Ill maybe never see em but not long all for an unproved theory.

KIR

Blackhawk
I missed opening day yesterday, but today, 9-1-22 is the second day of the Best in the West Rib Cook Off in Sparks, NV. Going to be 99 degrees today, so I usually arrive early in the morn, so I can get a pulled chicken sandwich (or two) and a beer (or two) and buy a bottle (or two) of bar b q sauce from one of the couple of dozen contestants in a fantastic event. This is my fave event that is held in and around the Truckee Meadows (Sparks-Reno) in the fall. Besides the large booths for a myriad of food, there are other booths selling various clothing, artwork, refreshments and other items for one's home, vehicle and/or pets. A great time is held by all.

jdubb16

Bearcat
I’m up here in the Panhandle (TEXAS) and we’re all ready to go! No need to get out this first morning- ain’t nobody around and we have plenty of private land. But this weekend will be a full-on and on going dove hunting party. Good times! Dove jalapeño poppers and other delicacies soon to come!

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
When you complain about people not letting you hunt on their land, think it through. How many of you would allow people to hunt or your land? That's what I thought!;)