Selling & Shipping Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chance

Buckeye
Looking to sell some small arms ammo and find FedEx ground is quite expensive. How's the best way to list ammo? Shipped price which looks outa sight or sale price Plus shipping cost so that buyer can see the breakdown? Everything I list in the classifieds shows the Shipped Price and guess it just seems strange to list price + shipping. Any thoughts?

One, don't ship it FedEx, ship it UPS, much easier and cheaper.

Two, when you sell, make it clear that the buyer pays the shipping (unless you build it into your selling price.) Easiest I have found is when you list it have the selling price and say "buyer pays actual shipping costs".

There are specific things you have to do when you ship ammo. Go here to read some more about shipping ammo: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=233778#p2343846
The info will be towards the bottom of the post.

Chance

Buckeye
Would like to use UPS but after 12 years of having an account have never figured out how to use their website and they make it impossible to link to Pitney Bowes.

Chance said:
Would like to use UPS but after 12 years of having an account have never figured out how to use their website and they make it impossible to link to Pitney Bowes.

I always just boxed it correctly, put on the ORM-D labels, put on the buyers address label and my return address label and took it to the USPS hub. The person there took care of it, weighed it and told me the charge. Never a problem.

Absolutely NOT allowed to ship loaded ammo through USPS. As said, if you do and are caught, very stiff penalties.

Chance

Buckeye
Beginning to think UPS does not want my business. Spent much time yesterday on the phone with them and found out the had cancelled my 12 year old commercial account long ago for non use. I am just not smart enough to navigate through their online shipping maze.

Chance

Buckeye
So to get back to the original question it seems best to list the ammo by price and add + Actual Shipping or something along that line. To include shipping in the price makes everything look out of whack. And there's an 8 dollar difference in, say, a box going to New Mexico and the same box going to North Carolina.

Chance said:
So to get back to the original question it seems best to list the ammo by price and add + Actual Shipping or something along that line. To include shipping in the price makes everything look out of whack. And there's an 8 dollar difference in, say, a box going to New Mexico and the same box going to North Carolina.

This is the way I see most ammo being sold non commercially on line (ammo cost + actual shipping)

golferboy426

Buckeye
hittman said:
Why not just package it up and walk into your local UPS store (assuming you have one) and send it off?

most ups stores will not take ammo. I either hand it to a ups driver or go to a ups hub

Heliman said:
Yes, you have to ship through a UPS hub. Cost depends on weight and package dimensions.

and destination

Yes, UPS "Stores" and drop off places are not run by UPS, they are franchises and have their own set of rules. Take it to a UPS hub and they know exactly what to do. If you do a lot through UPS and have an account and their app and a printer, you can do everything and just hand it to a UPS driver. On the app, IIRC, you tell them you have a pickup required and they schedule it and pick it up.

Chance

Buckeye
Shipping is really quite easy. I just hand it to the FedEx or UPS driver when they show up at the door with their daily deliveries. And BTW FedEx Ground is cheaper to the south east than UPS, at least from Phoenix.

The original post was about listing ammo, not shipping it. Thanks to those who offered suggestions.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
powder smoke said:
USPS flat rate box. ps

Hi,

NO, NO, NO!

Big fines, jail time, or both may ensue. And don't think you can slip something by 'em: they x-ray or otherwise scan virtually everything these days.

We return you to the OP now.

Rick C

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Only to add considering the OP: if a buyer suggests "just send it flat rate USPS" hang up, walk away!
It is not unheard of for a gubmint employee to bait a seller, and suggest you willfully break the laws. Of course, if you can do the time, go ahead.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
RoninPA said:
One, don't ship it FedEx, ship it UPS, much easier and cheaper.

Two, when you sell, make it clear that the buyer pays the shipping (unless you build it into your selling price.) Easiest I have found is when you list it have the selling price and say "buyer pays actual shipping costs".

There are specific things you have to do when you ship ammo. Go here to read some more about shipping ammo: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=233778#p2343846
The info will be towards the bottom of the post.

The one time I tried ups for componets, they beat the box until it opened, lost the contents, then did not want to honor the insurance and refused to refund the shipping cost..... just covered the insurance cost. That was the last time I sent or would recieve anything from them.

Speaking of USPS flat rate box... I got a deal on a 30 cal. Ruger Black Hawk a few years back.. it seems the guy did not know how much it would cost to ship fed ex.... I go to my FLL and fill out the transfer form and pay them.. then they put it, the box, on the counter.... it had been shipped by him USPS flat rate box, personal... not only that, the barrel of the gun was sticking out of the side of the box (no damage)... and when they opened the box included with the gun were two boxes of ammo... . the guy doing the paper work pretty much threw the box at me and told me to get it all out of his store quick....

Latest posts