Self-Defense Bullet Selection Criteria

Help Support Ruger Forum:

147 Grain

Bearcat
When it comes to self-defense and preservation, everyone naturally wants more odds in their favor. After proper training and shot placement, understanding a few basic principles surrounding bullet construction and choice of caliber (within reason) are important as well.

When selecting ammo for self-defense, please consider these basic principles, which come in second place after reliable functionality in your weapon:

1. Heavy for caliber UNbonded hollow-point (HP) bullets generally outperform their lighter-weight counterparts (across the board) in Gelatin, 4-Ply Denim, Heavy Cloth, Wallboard, Glass, and Metal, with only a few exceptions. Example: 9mm = 147-gr. unbonded HP / 40 S&W = 180-gr. unbonded HP / 45 ACP = 230-gr. unbonded HP. Plus P (+P) loads at 50 – 75 fps higher velocity typically perform better than standard pressure loads with the same bullet.

2. Exception #1: Mid-weight BONDED bullets need to be driven at faster (+P) velocities in order to perform well in all-around testing through various media. UNbonded mid-weight bullets (at regular or +P velocities) are typically outperformed by most heavy for caliber loads. Example of mid-weight BONDED loads: 9mm = 124-gr. +P / 40 S&W = 165-gr. +P / 45 ACP = 200-gr. +P.

3. Exception #2: Lead-free all copper JHP's (Jacketed Hollow Points) are lightweight in nature and in comparison to regular HP's, their make-up in volume is longer than the weight of a regular HP bullet. Hence, a medium weight copper JHP might have a similar overall length to a regular heavy for caliber HP. Barnes makes XPB and LE Tac-XP (Law Enforcement Tactical) copper bullets in most calibers and manufactures are jumping on the band wagon using copper JHP's that are very effective when driven at higher (+P) velocities.

4. Most self-defense situations will require a bullet that penetrates deeper than imagined in order to reach the vitals! Bad guys (BG's) typically will be moving and your selected HP load may have to penetrate at LONGER odd-angles than imagined in order to reach the vitals. (They won't hold still for you like a B-27 target at the range will.) Furthermore, during stressful situations, it is often necessary for a bullet to have to (first) go through an extremity before even penetrating the upper chest cavity (e.g. hand, arm, shoulder, neck, leg, thigh, ribs, bones, and etc…)! Because of these factors, selecting a bullet that comes close to meeting or exceeding the FBI protocol of 12" minimum penetration is preferred in order to ensure full penetration.

Note: If your favorite handgun load typically struggles to reach 11" - 12" of penetration into Gel, 4-Ply Denim, or Heavy Cloth, consider upgrading to a heavy duty bonded HP, hardcast wadcutter, or use FMJ.

5. After shot placement into the upper Thoracic (Sniper's) Triangle area, penetration is the key to putting more odds in your favor. Good expansion characteristics is a plus and this (along with penetration) makes for a good choice in BALANCED self-defense ammo.

Snake45

Hawkeye
#1 priority in any defensive ammo is RELIABILITY. Does it go bang in YOUR gun, EVERY TIME?

If the answer to that one is "Yes," then the other factors you mention are nice to consider. :wink:

Vod Kanockers

Bearcat
Snake45 said:
#1 priority in any defensive ammo is RELIABILITY. Does it go bang in YOUR gun, EVERY TIME?

If the answer to that one is "Yes," then the other factors you mention are nice to consider. :wink:

'zactly, if it isn't reliable, then it doesn't matter if it is GUARANTEED to stop a violent attacker.....reliable is JOB 1

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Maybe.
Maybe not.

If using the 45 ACP cartridge the bullet should be a modern-design standard-velocity (unless one can demonstrate rapid-fire competency with +P choices; you know, maybe three people in the whole world) 230g JHP.

And most self-defense situations will require no shots fired.....

Dale53

Blackhawk
I shot IPSC when the load minimum to make "Major" was 180,000 (bullet weight times velocity). Most of the "A" shooters had no problems with fast times with those loads.

Regarding expanding versus solid bullets - that is always a trade off. I wouldn't argue either side of that equation. In varying circumstances, you may be better off with an expanding high speed 200 gr and in others a good Truncated Cone 230 gr solid may be best.

If you put them where they need to be, EITHER will work. If you don't, NEITHER will get the job done.

Practice, practice, practice...

Dale53

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Modern-design 230g HP bullets rarely fail to expand even at greatly reduced impact velocities.

I thought the old 'Major' was 175 PF; that's the one I loaded to, but I only go back to '95.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
All the more reason to use a .357 .41 or .44 magnum for all defensive situations. If my life is on the line I want to put em down and I am not gonna stop to think about what "might" be behind the bad guy and worry about overpenetration. Its not likely that I will have to defend myself but if I do, I am not gonna pull the trigger on someone unless I have no choice, so in the unlikely event that someone unintended is struck due to overpenetration I will worry about the consequences after my intended target is down.

RedFalconBill

Bearcat
BearStopper said:
All the more reason to use a .357 .41 or .44 magnum for all defensive situations. If my life is on the line I want to put em down and I am not gonna stop to think about what "might" be behind the bad guy and worry about overpenetration. Its not likely that I will have to defend myself but if I do, I am not gonna pull the trigger on someone unless I have no choice, so in the unlikely event that someone unintended is struck due to overpenetration I will worry about the consequences after my intended target is down.

What load in those calibers? It is all well and good that you want to use these rounds, but Federal CastCore bullets will not do very much.

Also, you had best think about liability, in case of overpenetration because you do not have a PBA, or Union, to ensure that you have at least some representation.

steve b

Single-Sixer
I have taken Force-on-force training, then sparred with others for refreshers. Most in coming hits will be to hands, forearms, arms. This thickness needs to be added to the depth you hope to penetrate. Also allow for side to side shots. Dude that started the thread is correct, in that a bit more penetration than the standard/norm, may be called for. steve b

147 Grain

Bearcat
steve b said:
I have taken Force-on-force training, then sparred with others for refreshers. Most in coming hits will be to hands, forearms, arms. This thickness needs to be added to the depth you hope to penetrate. Also allow for side to side shots. Dude that started the thread is correct, in that a bit more penetration than the standard/norm, may be called for. steve b

Penetration is an interesting thing - actually the main thing (next to shot placement). For without it our odds of surviving are greatly diminished. PD's are not typically overly concerned about overpenetration from a spent bullet because it doesn't occur as much as the 87% to 91% of shots that miss their intended target.