Seekjng a .22 SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have been looking for an Sp 101 in .22 lr. I see on Ruger's website they are not available. I suppose I will be waiting longer.
I have not seen one for sale for a couple of years. Patience is not one of my virtues.

I waited two years for my Ruger American Pistol to become available…FWIW, I love my .22lr SP101, it goes to the range with me every trip.

AB3D1534-419A-4037-B102-F88C675EE60E.jpeg

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

And I know where Frog Level is neighbor! :D

Those SP-101's in .22 are harder to find for sure. Are you chasing the older 6 shot,, or a later 8 shot?

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
I have been looking for an Sp 101 in .22 lr. I see on Ruger's website they are not available. I suppose I will be waiting longer.
I have not seen one for sale for a couple of years. Patience is not one of my virtues.
I See Them At Gun Shows.

Like getwood noted above, see them at gun shows how well I know just sold one for a friend two shows back ( the 8 shot version too) bet he saw it on my table as for high prices, and attitudes, screw 'em, those are the guys you do not want to deal with most ALL my buyers and even the sellers are repeat and prefer an 'honest' straight up, no BS or runaround,transaction...works for me,,,,:cool::rolleyes:;)

Like getwood noted above, see them at gun shows how well I know just sold one for a friend two shows back ( the 8 shot version too) bet he saw it on my table as for high prices, and attitudes, screw 'em, those are the guys you do not want to deal with most ALL my buyers and even the sellers are repeat and prefer an 'honest' straight up, no BS or runaround,transaction...works for me,,,,:cool::rolleyes:;)
I really don't mind paying for a good one. I don't mind paying a premium for a premium example. When premium prices are asked for a mediocre piece , with a fifteen percent markup over premium prices, I get a little irritated, get silent, and move on.

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
Well Said, I'll See You At Medina.

eveled

Hawkeye
Good luck on your search.

I lucked into a 6 shot SP101 when the 8 shot was introduced. Its my wifes bedside gun.

64336F25-0E3D-4291-88BB-F856248E49BB.jpeg
13F6F8CA-7419-4E4F-B907-46AD8EAD6781.jpeg
0294BFAF-66B1-4C09-A3AD-E44DF5BD0136.jpeg

It shoots and handles well, I prefer my Smith 617, but only slightly more. Both are great guns.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Mine is an 8 shot made in 2014 that came with the smooth rubber grips with the nice Ruger wood inserts. I noticed some different grips on the ones in the photos. Are they replacement grips or did Ruger produce the model with different grips from the factory?

Jim

Mine is an 8 shot made in 2014 that came with the smooth rubber grips with the nice Ruger wood inserts. I noticed some different grips on the ones in the photos. Are they replacement grips or did Ruger produce the model with different grips from the factory?

Jim
I think all the factory ones come with the grip same as yours. I put the hogues on mine as in the picture earlier because it just looks better to me. With the factory grips the gun looks out of proportion to me. The barrel, cylinder and frame seem to overwhelm that small grip. Maybe it's just me.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I have not been to gun shows in years. I got put off by the ridiculous prices exhibited and attitudes of some sellers.
I agree about the prices and attitudes. Out of every 10 shows I go to, only 1 is worthwhile. But....., at that tenth one I usually come home with the current deal of as lifetime. It makes the other 9 bearable.

Besides, I only go in the Winter. What else to do on a snowy Sunday?

I agree about the prices and attitudes. Out of every 10 shows I go to, only 1 is worthwhile. But....., at that tenth one I usually come home with the current deal of as lifetime. It makes the other 9 bearable.

Besides, I only go in the Winter. What else to do on a snowy Sunday?
Yew got me ! I will start attending. I have never found a bargain, but I surely won't if I don't go.

mjh

Single-Sixer
Good luck finding a SP 101 in .22lr. They are out there but expensive and hard to find. Like others have said, mine goes to the range almost every trip. Certainly every trip I'm shooting .22lr. I also take it to the woods--grouse and small game hunting and general woods bumming. I've kept the factory grips on mine. The SP is the right sized .22lr revolver for me.