Seeking first time revolver buying advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Good evening gents, I've recently become interested in revolvers and have decided to buy my first. I've been researching and rolling the idea around in my head over the last couple of weeks and I have a couple of questions that may help guide me in my decision. I've decided on the Blued GP100 4.2 inch in .357. Seen here. http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1702.html

Questions:
1. I've read that the blue finish wears are requires more care than stainless, that's no problem for me but how badly does it wear. I've also read oil from the hand can even leave rusted fingerprint marks. Would the finish last say 20 years of occasional range time use?

2. The price, I'd like to wait for a good price and I think I've found one at my LGS, $550 (before tax) brand new. Should I wait longer for a better deal or take this now? Does that sound reasonable?

3. The barrel length, I went back and forth trying to decide between the 4.2 and 6 inch. While I've selected the 4.2 I wonder if the 6 makes it a better shooting gun. Enough to justify paying a bit more. It's purpose for me is a recreational range gun. But the 4.2 would be easier to carry if I had to due to some unexpected circumstance.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this. These are the three that's kept me from buying so far. I'd like to have those nailed down a little better before I do.

Enigma

Hunter
With normal care, a blued finish will easily outlast you. Some people have what some call 'acid sweat.' This is what causes rust after handling. To prevent this, simply wipe your gun down with either an oily rag or a silicone cloth after handling.

If you think you will ever carry your GP-100, buy the 4.2" barrel version. The 6" version will be easier to shoot better due to a longer sight radius, but that's about the only difference. If possible, visit an indoor range that rents handguns and shoot both styles, if available. That will give you some first hand experience with them.

hittman

Staff member
The GP is a good choice but you also couldn't go wrong with a Security Six. Personally, I buy used and generally save $100.00 or so over new prices but .... whatever you're comfortable with. Of course, used wheel guns seem very hard to find these days; at least around here.

1. Wear would be negligible unless it's a "duty" gun and in and out of a holster DAILY. Even then, it'd be good honest "wear" and not a sign of abuse. Oil from your hands won't be an issue if you clean it after each range trip and occasionally hit it with a silicone cloth from Pro-Shot Products.

2. I can't speak to new prices.

3. I'd go 6-inch if it's an exclusive range gun, or 4.2, 4 or even 3 inch for occasional carry, home defense, etc. Kind of a personal preference thing I guess.

I don't have a dog in the fight but think there's one or more GP's for sale in the Classifieds here right now. A 3-inch blued one too maybe. Just sayin' .............

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Thanks Enigma, and Hittman for the advice. It puts my mind at ease about the rusting issue. I will definitely check the classifieds and give some consideration to buying used. In my research on the gp100 I came across many reports of people switching out the trigger and hammer springs to ease up the double action. So many, and it appeared to be so common that when looking at the used GP's I started to wonder if it was one that had the aftermarket spring job or not.

While these springs do improve the trigger there have also been instances of light strikes due to the aftermarket springs being too weak. I suppose the hammer spring would be the main culprit there. But I'd trust this community to let me know if anything specific was modified if I asked. Some of the online brokers? um not so much.

hittman

Staff member
None of mine have been modified but ..... I'm not a competition shooter and trust in Ruger's research and development. That's not to say you won't want to tinker ..... your gun .... your choice.

If I were to buy a new GP, I'd get 500 or more rounds down-range before I decided on anything.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
hittman said:
None of mine have been modified but ..... I'm not a competition shooter and trust in Ruger's research and development. That's not to say you won't want to tinker ..... your gun .... your choice.

If I were to buy a new GP, I'd get 500 or more rounds down-range before I decided on anything.

You might be right, the nearest range to me I know doesn't have any GP's their only revolver is a .38 special Smith, I forget which one exactly. Theres another that does rentals but it's about an hour away, I'll look into that.

Btw, I found the 3 inch gp100 in the classifieds, it's perfect except it's not .357 however as I recall every .357 mag shooter I've seen on the firing line was firing .38 specials from it anyway. Arrg! so confused lol. I'll sleep on it.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
A 4" stainless GP-100 was my first revolver which I bought for target shooting and home protection. I still have it and still love it. It is the only gun in my house that is loaded. I don't think you could get a better first revolver. I also debated getting a 6" for target shooting but decided, correctly I think, that a 6" is just a little too clumsy to carry around.

I now own many revolvers, single-action and double-action but the GP is the one I shoot the most. It is my trusted friend and protector of my family. The variety of ammo available is amazing, everything from 38 target loads to full house 357 magnum hunting loads. I don't think you can go wrong with a GP-100. :D

hittman

Staff member
357 or 38 is again just personal preference. Years ago I believed I may as well have a 357 "just in case" I wanted to shoot magnum loads yet I had the versatility of using "only" 38's which were (are?) cheaper.

Some time later I found myself carrying an ammo can of 38 Special to the range every time and RARELY using 357's. As I've gotten older I no longer dismiss the 38 Special wheel guns. In fact, I recently bought a used 38 Special stainless GP with adjustable sites from a fellow forum member.

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
My 357s digest nearly 100% 38 special reloads. I would go for the 4", it's the most versatile. If you load your own, the 38 can be loaded plenty stout for most uses.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I own several SP's ,several GP's, several RedHawks and several Super RedHawks, all stainless.
That said, a blued gun that is used mainly for range work will still look new after 20 years if taken care of. Finger prints contain salt that comes from your body and will rust your gun if not wiped down before being put away. A wipe down with a slightly oiled rag will prevent any rust in most cases.choose whichever barrel length you like the looks and feel of. I have two .357 GP100 6" guns and I can tell you they will amaze you with there rifle like groups. The 4" is not far behind in group size. I have two 4" GP's, one .357 and one in .38 special.
You will not be disappointed with either IMHO. You have made a great choice in the GP . ENJOY!!!

+1 vote for a 4" GP100. Stainless is easier to care for and the easily replaceable front sights give you additional options with the GP100.
I've got one in stainless and it is a very reliable, accurate revolver. It, along with a smith and wesson 642, are the primary defensive handguns in my house.

I used to own a GP-100, blue with a 4 inch full lug barrel. Mostly Magnums through it. It was my primary carry on the Sheriff's dept when I first joined. Very Accurate. With .38's it felt like I was shooting a .22LR. I had it 15 years, selling it when I needed money. I regret that sale to this day. As far as price, I think $550 is about $100 too high if used. I would buy it if new or it was what I wanted at the time, and had the money. Good luck.
gramps

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Rust per se need not be @ concern.sm@ll % of people h@ve very @cidic swe@t , otherwise occ@sion@l wipedown , including every time worn out in r@in/ snow.

If c@rried d@ily in holster , every blue gun will eventu@lly h@ve blue we@r. This is norm@l honest we@r , @nd sign of ch@r@cter.

( My first letter of @lph@bet is on strike , "@" is substituted.)

Mus408

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
A 4" stainless GP-100 was my first revolver which I bought for target shooting and home protection. I still have it and still love it. It is the only gun in my house that is loaded. I don't think you could get a better first revolver. I also debated getting a 6" for target shooting but decided, correctly I think, that a 6" is just a little too clumsy to carry around.

I now own many revolvers, single-action and double-action but the GP is the one I shoot the most. It is my trusted friend and protector of my family. The variety of ammo available is amazing, everything from 38 target loads to full house 357 magnum hunting loads. I don't think you can go wrong with a GP-100. :D

One sweet looking revolver!

contender

Ruger Guru
Only you can make the final decisions on what you choose. Personally, from your description of it's general uses,,, I think the choice of a 4.2" version will be the best choice overall.
As for price,,, at $550 for a NIB blued one,,, it's not a steal,,, nor a over-priced gun. It's fair.
As for bluing wear,,, if properly cared for,,, it will outlast you. Abuse it & it will show it quicker than stainless.

I only have one GP100. A 6 inch. It's fun but heavy. I mounted a scope on it which makes it even heavier. I'd vote for the 4.2" also. The proportions seem very good for balance etc.

Mus408

Hunter
I'm going nuts waiting for my new big baby to get back from Ruger!
New gun but had to send it back through Ruger assembly to get it RIGHT.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I really appreciate all of the feedback and it was all taken on board, I've made the decision to go with the 4.2 blued (with confidence this time). I'm really excited about this. I literally had a dream about the blued gp100 the other night. haha Sad I know. .

Mus408 that is a BEAST! What was wrong with it if you don't mind me askin? I've seen those behind the counter and thought "no way.." not because I didn't like it, simply over the recoil I imagined it would generate.