Security Six Timing Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

seafront

Bearcat
Hi, I'm new to the forum, so Hello from Victoria BC! Maybe you guys can help me. I just pick up my SS .357 and it looks perfect (156 series 1981+/-). I just had a chance to spend some time with it and being new to wheel guns I didn't pick up on the timing issue with this piece. On a fairly quick trigger pull in DA it seems OK. cycles a round with a bit of time to spare. However, on a slow even pull I can see a late start on cylinder rotation with terminus and hammer drop at the same time. It's like it wants a bit speed on the cylinder to "flip" into battery. I've been even been able, on a reasonably slow pull, to stall rotation a few degrees and have the trigger fire before the round is in line with the barrel. I can also do this with a slow cock of the trigger into SA. Doesn't sound too safe does it. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Alpha426

Bearcat
Welcome to the forum. I believe the problem you are having is that the ratchets on your cylinder have worn a bit. To correct the timing, you need to get a slightly oversized pawl. Measure the width of the pawl at the tip where it engages the ratchet and get another one .001-.002 inch wider.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
seafront, Welcome to this great forum! Is your problem occuring on "every" cylinder or just a couple of cylinders? If it's just on one or two, often times you can touch up the individual "ratchets" to correct the problem without a larger pawl. If not then as suggested by Alpha a larger pawl might take care of the problem. Excessive "end-shake" can also make this problem show up especially in the "slow" cocking mode. This gun could also ultimately be a candidate to be thoroughly cheked out by a gunsmith in the end!..........................Dick :idea:

seafront

Bearcat
Thanks Alpha and Pinecone. I have a fail to cycle on 2 chambers and only on slow cocking or DA pull. More vigorous cocking seems to spin the cylinder into lock. Alpha, did you mean .001 -002 taller pawl when looking at the gun upright? Thanks again guys.

Alpha426

Bearcat
I'm referring to the width of the pawl tip. The width of pawl controls the timing.

If you fail to carry up, check the position of the pawl tip (nose) with the cylinder open. The pawl should be recessed into the window but not more than 1/32 inch. The toe and heel of the pawl determines the position of the nose. You may need to adjust the recess by bending the toe of the pawl either up or down.

Latest posts