Security Six round butt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunzo

Buckeye
In the 70's I had a 6" Sec 6, a 4" & a 2 3/4" Speed 6. All were stainless. Only a few aftermarket grips available for these at the time so an owner had to take what they could get, or modify something. Had a large Pachmayer on the 6" but didn't like it on the 4. The Speed 6 wore a Pachmayer compact that I liked.

So, I introduced the 4" S6 to a big belt sander & bought another set of Pachmayer compacts. Times, parts availability, & taste change, but I had the gun out the other day, & approx. 45 years later I don't regret grinding on the gun.

Just thought I'd share.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Your grips seem well proportioned to your gun. I have a 4" SS and have Hogue finger groove grips on it . They look a little big but I have big hands and they fit me well!

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
There were a very few factory round butt Security Sixes made, likely also by grinding rather than creating a new casting mold for round butt with adjustable sights. They are highly prized collectibles, probably done for some contract. I have had two GA32-RB guns with 2.75" barrels and kept one, and I also have a "GA34-HP RB" (as marked on the shipper) 4" gun. The 2.75" gun that I sold was purchased by a fellow who died while the gun was in transit, so the receiving FFL asked me if I wanted to buy it back. I declined because money was tight at that time. The 2.75" guns were early, with 151 prefixes, and the 4" was years later with a 161 prefix, right at the tail end of Security Six production in 1986. When the GP100 came out, Ruger stopped making adjustable sight Security Six revolvers, but they kept making fixed sight Speed Six and Service Sixes for a couple more years since they had some contracts to fulfill for those.

I have a round butt Security Six also. It is my favorite shooter Security Six, and I carry it often. It has also been shot many times at fifty yards, and it's amazing just how accurate a snubby revolver can be.

This same discussion surfaces occasionally, and my s/n falls close to the batch of Ruger-modified round butt Security Sixes, but there is no proof. Either way, it is excellent, and the rounding treatment is perfect.

hittman

Staff member
I've never seen in person one of the factory issued round butt Security Six's.
However, I do know where there is one of the POLICE Service Six models factory verified.

JStacy

Blackhawk
Release blurb for Ruger described the Security Six and being made of a high strength stainless steel, with magnetic properties and the same alloy as used in high stress jet airplane parts.

I did the same to my Service Six 30+ years ago. It's my wife's bump-in-the-night gun now.

Attachments

• HPIM0589.JPG
    HPIM0589.JPG
    344.6 KB · Views: 83
  • HPIM0592.JPG
    HPIM0592.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 122
Covering a round butt with a rubber bumper is not much different than putting a rubber bumper on a square butt. To each his own, however.

Now a round butt with the original Speed Six grips... ecstacy. These grips are so slim and trim and svelte. They carry easily and are equally nice shooting.
My hands are bigger then a 13 yr. old girls so the rubber grips fit me better. But if the small girly wooden grips fit your hands better, then to each his own.

chet15

Hawkeye
I have a round butt Security Six also. It is my favorite shooter Security Six, and I carry it often. It has also been shot many times at fifty yards, and it's amazing just how accurate a snubby revolver can be.

This same discussion surfaces occasionally, and my s/n falls close to the batch of Ruger-modified round butt Security Sixes, but there is no proof. Either way, it is excellent, and the rounding treatment is perfect.
Your gun would letter from the factory as RDA-34RB or GA-34RB., or RDA-32RB/GA-32RB which ever would be the case with your gun. Get a letter on it that says that and it is good as gold!!
Chet15