Security Six question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rmc25

Single-Sixer
I have a NIB blue 4 inch Security Six Bull Barrel with papers and shipper. Kept in this condition will it be a collectible someday or is it not worth keeping it as a safe queen?

My camera is out of action or I would have posted pictures.
rmc

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
I would not think the Security Six series is a collector yet. I would shoot the revolver. These are fine shooters. I have a Police Service Six 4 inch blued. One of my best shooters.

roaddog28

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
hittman":159fsfhn said:
If it's still new-in-the-box, I'd seriously consider making a safe queen out of it. Generally, I'm not a big fan of guns you don't shoot but......

1. Once it's no longer new-in-box you can't un-ring the bell.

2. Depending on S/N and grips, it might be a $400 gun today.

3. It won't get any newer sitting in the safe.

4. You can likely buy a good "shooter" grade for $250.00.

Since shooters are plentiful and relatively inexpensive, I think I'd own TWO and let one sit in the safe.

Good Advise!! :wink: :wink:

Cholo

Staff member
rmc25, I have a HB (heavy barrel) SS, but stainless, I bought new in '79. I believe I own only one gun I havn't shot...yet; an OM high polish SBH. I have to look at a SS being a safe queens like this:

I'm X years old and don't believe I'll live long enough for a SS to be worth more to me than shooting it will be. It's like me marrying a young beautiful virgin and deciding to leave her "un-shot" for the next guy to enjoy. Now because we can have more guns at a time than wives, I believe I could very well own a safe queen and admire it for it's pristine beauty, like art. I just don't want to be around when I let her out! :wink:

Shoot it, keep it looking like new, and let your kids worry about it's value when you're dead. Mine has been shot and carried a lot and I'd still rate it 99%+.

BTW: It took me awhile to find a HB SS back in the 70's. Did you buy it new? If not, nice find!

rmc25

Single-Sixer
It balances so well I am tempted to take your advice. Besides I just picked up a nice set of Herrett Shooting Star grips for it.

GhosT

Blackhawk
rmc25,
Total envy!

Not for collector value,,
Just miss my Security Six......traded many years ago...

And sounds like you..bought a great one!---Bull barrel,too cool!

I own a GP100 and a SP101...love them both...but...
JMHO...The Security Six...just as well built...one of RUGERS best designs!