Security Six/Police Service Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
I have a Police Service Six 4 inch that was made back in 1985. The history of the revolver included being a carry revolver for law enforcement. It has seen many rounds. It still seems tight on lockup but my question is should I start limiting my shooting to 38 specials? I have heard that parts are harder to get and also that Ruger does not carry any parts for the six line anymore. I don't want to wear the revolver out. Its one of my favorites. I can use later revolvers that have not fired as many rounds especially with 357s.

I love to here some feed back.

Thanks,

Hobie

Single-Sixer
I just bought a Stainless Security Six but had one many moons ago (25 and more years ago) which was tight and well have many, many rounds. I will shoot the new gun and deal with problems if and when then occur.

It has been said, many times and in many ways, that one should get guns not one by one but as a pair and a spare.

Hobie

Single-Sixer
GilaMonster":ytpwndwk said:
has anyone ever documented a Security Six being worn out by shooting it???
I don't know of one. I've seen them with the finish worn off with 20K rounds through them that were still tight.

Hugh

Buckeye
roaddog28":1nba0mzg said:
I have a Police Service Six 4 inch that was made back in 1985. The history of the revolver included being a carry revolver for law enforcement. It has seen many rounds. It still seems tight on lockup but my question is should I start limiting my shooting to 38 specials? I have heard that parts are harder to get and also that Ruger does not carry any parts for the six line anymore. I don't want to wear the revolver out. Its one of my favorites. I can use later revolvers that have not fired as many rounds especially with 357s.

Thanks,

That's a pretty good shooter you have. It just might be broken in by now. Just my humble opinion, but if it is a .357 Magnum I would shoot .357's in it.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Hugh":ak04xt8m said:
roaddog28":ak04xt8m said:

Thanks,

That's a pretty good shooter you have. It just might be broken in by now. Just my humble opinion, but if it is a .357 Magnum I would shoot .357's in it.

Thanks guys for the input. I have never had any issues with the revolver and this one is not my first or will be my last. I was more concern with if I need parts because I worn some thing out I might not be able to find them. I am worrying to much. After all, rugers are built like tanks.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Most service revolvers have been carried a lot and shot a little. Also, "wearing out" is not in that gun's vocabulary. You could probably shoot 357's in that bad boy every day for the rest of your life and never know the difference. Your wrist might though :wink:

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
wixedmords":2pzrk7jv said:
Worn out?

It isn't a Smith magnum. ;)

Your right. Much stronger than any K frame Smith and Wesson. About the only way I could go stronger is with a GP100!

Too me my Police Service Six is the classic service revolver when revolvers were the rule in law enforcement. I will keep shooting my 357 ammo and laugh at the weaker magnums. LOL!

one50npump

Bearcat
My 30 year old Security Six recently got "out of time", so I mailed it back to Ruger, they replaced the pawl and a couple other things, regapped the barrel, test fired it, and sent it back to me for FREE. I wouldnt worry about them not having parts.

Blue Brick

Bearcat
one50npump":1qma3ovk said:
My 30 year old Security Six recently got "out of time", so I mailed it back to Ruger, they replaced the pawl and a couple other things, regapped the barrel, test fired it, and sent it back to me for FREE. I wouldnt worry about them not having parts.

I am glad to hear that, I love mine.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
one50npump":2jj3no3j said:
Purchased what appeared to be a little-fired blue Police Service Six (4") and it does spit out the right side. I'm left handed so it sorta bothers me :!:
So it just took a back seat in the safe. May have to get it back out one of these days and have it repaired. will have to decide on who does the repair as I've never had to send a gun back to Ruger.

ltbarber

Bearcat
Last century,(1979) I was discharged from the Army. At the time,you had a year of unemployment insurance checks coming. I took the year,and spent the days on the range shooting reloads through a Stainless Security-Six,4 inch barrel,mostly double action. I spent the evenings chasing my girlfriend(now my wife)(sigh). Anyway......after a year of firing thousands of rounds,the timing began to slip. Otherwise,the gun was perfect in cylinder lock-up,finish,etc. I treasure the memory of the year with that gun and that woman. I still have the woman,I regret divorcing the gun! Sure wish Ruger would make another run of them! :D

Hobie

Single-Sixer
Colonel Daddy":12aqbn8r said:
one50npump":12aqbn8r said:
Purchased what appeared to be a little-fired blue Police Service Six (4") and it does spit out the right side. I'm left handed so it sorta bothers me :!:
So it just took a back seat in the safe. May have to get it back out one of these days and have it repaired. will have to decide on who does the repair as I've never had to send a gun back to Ruger.
Just contact Ruger and get them to do it. Then you'll have a gun. Right now all you have is some machined metal.