Security Six or GP100?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
I have two different friends needing to sell some pistols.

One has a blued 150 series Security Six 4" with some holster wear, but probably about 90% he will let me have for $250.00.

The other friend has a 3" Stainless GP100 fixed sight with full lug in 99% condition. Has the grips with the wooden inserts. Not priced yet.

I prefer blued guns and I generally opt for older manufactured firearms, but I like the looks of the GP100.

If the price is right on the GP100 I may buy both, but I'm not sure yet.

I own several old model single action Rugers, but my only double action revolvers all carry the S&W trademark (i.e.. Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman and Pre-29 4-Screw).

How will these compare with my early model Smith's?

What are the pros and cons of each?

All opinions are appreciated.

epj

Bearcat
The Security Six is comparable to a S&W M19 (K-frame). It is a bit more robust and has more meat in the frame around the barrel. The action is not as refined as the Smith, though it can be improved upon with some springs and a little polsihing. The GP is a direct competitor of the 686. It is a very hardy revolver, but again, won't have the finess of the Smith. It can also be much improved with some springs and polish. The 3" barrel 1/2 lug model is somewhat sought after. I had one until recently, but traded it for a 4" model as I didn't care for the fixed sights. Both are good shooters, and will last several lifetimes with reasonable care.

if they were 'new, in the box" and you were buying to "save, put away......as said above buytthem both......IF they were BOTH "deals", again, then buy them BOTH.....
but if you are buying it use, and shoot, then buy the GP100, thats what they were designed and made to do,,,,,like the S&W model 19, the Security Six models are NO longer made, there were reasons for this,both by S&W as well as Ruger.......yes, fairly?popular, and I have had and used many of both , and the model 19 was my first duty gun....BUT< as I said , if you shot them a LOT< things can and do happen, nature of the beast....
Just MY .02 cents, but bottom line , they are BOTH ( the model 19 & Security Six) out of production...... :wink:

Terry T

Buckeye
Some further questions:
Is either one .38 spl. only? (rare)
Is the security six fixed sight? (somewhat rare)

The grip on the 150 series Ruger double actions is different than the later six series double actions making grip replacements a bit more difficult, should you wish to go to a rubber grip, for example.

I have both and like both.
Terry T

Blue Brick

Bearcat
Go with the Stainless. Mine is Model 708

DSC01919.jpg

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
Well I bought the security six. Still negotiating the price on the GP100. Can anyone tell me what the GP100's with 3 inch barrel's are going for these days?

I knew the 150 series security six has a different grip but I don't believe I have ever seen them in a side by side comparison so I'm not sure where the difference is.

Thanks for all the input.

Here is a pic of my newest acquisition. Most of what appears to be blueing loss is actually from the flash on my camera.

web.jpg

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
Terry T":2r1rjsvm said:
Some further questions:
Is either one .38 spl. only? (rare)
Is the security six fixed sight? (somewhat rare)

The grip on the 150 series Ruger double actions is different than the later six series double actions making grip replacements a bit more difficult, should you wish to go to a rubber grip, for example.

I have both and like both.
Terry T

.357 mag (both of them).
Adjustable sights on security six and fixed on GP100.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
rugerguy":2ik7toem said:
if they were 'new, in the box" and you were buying to "save, put away......as said above buytthem both......IF they were BOTH "deals", again, then buy them BOTH.....
but if you are buying it use, and shoot, then buy the GP100, thats what they were designed and made to do,,,,,like the S&W model 19, the Security Six models are NO longer made, there were reasons for this,both by S&W as well as Ruger.......yes, fairly?popular, and I have had and used many of both , and the model 19 was my first duty gun....BUT< as I said , if you shot them a LOT< things can and do happen, nature of the beast....
Just MY .02 cents, but bottom line , they are BOTH ( the model 19 & Security Six) out of production...... :wink:
I have both. My Police Service Six is well broken in and has a trigger close to some of my S&W. My GP100 I just picked up today and it is new and of course needs some break in time. My Service Six is a very pleasant shooter. Nearly as balanced as my S&W model 66. The GP100 is much beefier than either the Service Six or model 66. I also have a S&W 686 and so far it feels just like the GP100 but right now has the better double action trigger. Ruger triggers do break in but you have to use them a lot. I am using snap caps as we speak to dry fire the revolver and already the action is getting smoother. But I will tell you most of my Smiths have very good actions. I shoot a lot of 357s and right now my best revolver is my model 28-2 4 inch. It was made in 1967. With out a doubt it has one of the best triggers I have ever seen in a revolver. This revolver is made to shoot 357s.
Summary: I would get both if the deal is right. I have always liked the Security Six series because they are a excellent value. The GP100 is a modern SA/DA double action revolver and the strongest medium frame revolver made right now. I got a excellent deal on my new GP100 and intend to use it just like my 28-2. I will only shoot 357s.

Hope this helps,
roaddog28

Nice looking gun, and yes the early vintage, the back strap is straighter down the back, those grips panels are wider at the top, the early days, shooters could NOT get a good grip on them, slid down in the grip ( police complaint?) so Ruger changed them to a more curved, better grip feel ( retention) while shooting...tough to find grips for those early guns ,so take care of them.................

here is the difference for you.......

sec.jpg

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the illustration Dan. Now I can see the difference when looking at other pics of the security sixes.

I plan on trying those grips out tomorrow while at work. Will see if I have a problem with the grip angle.