Security Six Hammer Spring Compatibility

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I have a 150-series Security Six and was thinking of swapping out the hammer spring with a lighter one to try to lighten up the DA pull like I did with my SP101.

Wolff does not list the Security Six and was wondering if any of the other options are compatible.

Thanks.

Aqualung

Aqualung

Blackhawk
T.A Workman, Thanks for the suggestion.

But If i'd just RTFW, I would have seen that they do have an option for the Six series...

I like going with Wolff, since they're a local outfit and I've had great luck with them in the past.

Aqualung

Ruger00fan

Bearcat
If you want to go lower than 14 lb, I tested the 9 lb GP-100 spring and had issues. I am currently using a GP-100 12 lb wolff hammer spring in my six series.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Aqua lung - Check out the Double Action Series -

RUGER DOUBLE ACTION SERIES REVOLVERS
Includes:
Security Six, Speed Six and Service Six.

Yeah, I saw that *after* I made the post and T.A Workman replied.

That's why I said that if I'd Read The Friggin' Website (RTFW) I'd have seen that...🙄.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll go with the 14 and the lower powered trigger spring and see how that works out for me. It's good to know I can go to the 12# GP100 spring. Is that the same as the 12# SP101 spring? If they're the same, I have one of those from my SP101 project.

Thanks again.

Aqualung

Ruger00fan

Bearcat
Sounds like I need to work on my reading comprehension too, I missed your comment completely.

My Wolff 12 lb hammer spring is marked GP-100 and SP-101 on the package.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Sounds like I need to work on my reading comprehension too, I missed your comment completely.

My Wolff 12 lb hammer spring is marked GP-100 and SP-101 on the package.

It's been so long since I did the swap on my SP101, I don't remember what the package said...That's good info to know.

thanks.

Aqualung

Thel

Blackhawk
The Wolff springs for the GP and SP are the same and the hammer spring will work in the Six Series. Wolff offers a 9 lb and 10 lb which are also in a package with trigger return spring or available separately. A 11 lb mainspring is available alone and I believe the 12 lb also comes in the spring package. What will work depends upon the individual gun.

If the Trapper is still available it is good. They are out of business now but in the past have used their springs in Six Series, a Python and a couple of others. They are towards the lighter side. I tried the Wolff reduced Six Series and did not see much difference compared to stock, maybe a pound or so in double action is all.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
IIRC . Skeeter wrote of using a 10/22 spring as a reduced power spring for Security Six .

Toyman

Single-Sixer
When I went through the armorers school an old timer said to use 10/22 main spring. You may have to thin the width of the main spring strut.

Latest posts