Security six grip vs gp100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

silverback

Blackhawk
I have been shooting my service six and gp160 quite a bit lately.

I noticed that the service six seems to have less perceived recoil than the 4 Inch gp100 I had. I thought this seemed odd as the service six is lighter than the gp100

Have any of you found similar experience?
Or is it just me ?

Does it have to with the full frame of the six series?

This makes me wander how the gp160 would compare to a 6 inch security six.

It would be nice to have a lighter gun with less perceived recoil.

I am hoping to hear experiences from those of you that have 6 inch security six and 6 inch. gp100's.

wb292

Bearcat
I have a Security Six with a 4 inch barrel. Along with a GP100 with a 4.2 inch barrel. I really can't tell any difference in recoil between the two. Although the GP is way more accurate for me. I can hold much tighter with it over the six. But to be fair I've put 1000's or more rounds through the six in the last 25 years. So It may be a little wore.

contender

Ruger Guru
Each person's hands are a bit different. So, a grip must fit the shooter. And while some find one type is better than any other,, it's best to try different grips to find your fit.
You didn't mention if you had factory grips or aftermarket grips on your guns. But if you look at each gun, you will see the differences in the grip shape, and the grip frame differences. THAT affects felt recoil.

VinnieBoomBah

Bearcat
I think you will find the same issue with S&W K vs L frames. I'm in the same camp as you silverback, and my best guess is that it is because the bore axis of the GP100 / L frame is higher than on the 6 / K frames and that results in more upward twist.