Security Six barrel swap

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kanook

Buckeye
I love the feel of the Security Six over the GP100. I like the full lug of the GP also. Is it possible to install a GP barrel on a Security Six frame?

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Kanook":3q6h4is4 said:
I love the feel of the Security Six over the GP100. I like the full lug of the GP also. Is it possible to install a GP barrel on a Security Six frame?
Well, yes. It would also be possible to use a bowling ball for pocket billiards. It would take a lot of machining and I doubt you would be happy with the results.

I believe the frame opening for the Sixes (the Six family, Security Six, Speed Service Six and Speed Six) for the barrel to screw into is smaller than on a GP.

The distance from the centerline of the barrel and the centerline of the ejector rod is greater on the GP than on the Six. For two reasons. The cylinder is larger and the ejector rod is offset from the centerof the cylinder on the GP where, on the sixes, the ejector rod is centered in the cylinder.

I think you would be better off to just have a gunsmith machine a barrel from blank stock.

Just my opinion, I would have a gunsmith make a two-part barrel copied from the Dan Wesson design. I hope there would not be copyright infringement problems (because he is not offering them for sale, but just making a custom single piece). The barrel shroud could be any shape you want. If you do, please let me know how it works out.

I agree with you about the feel of the two guns. The Sixes are lighter and more compact and should never have been retired. Also they should offer a 0 or 10 shot sixer in 22 LR. The only thing I would change on the sixes is to have a grip post like the GP/SP/SRH or one like the Dan Wessons (single screw up through the bottom).

Lost Sheep

Kanook

Buckeye
Thanks for the info. I have seen the barrel swap done with a Python barrel and with those current prices I could never do it. I'm not against putting a different brand barrel to make a "high bred", only against the cost. It might be cheaper to try to copy the Security grip design for the GP.

Latest posts