Security Six and GP100 Differences????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Is the GP100 a totally different revolver or is it just an updated version of the same lockwork/action? I guess what I am wondering is if the Security Six is super rugged like most other Ruger revolvers.

2ndamd

Bearcat
Hi Bearstopper,
Send me an e-mail and i will send you something that tells the differences.

Basically the SS line uses the ejector rod as the 3rd locking point. Where as the GP100 uses a latch on the crane. This affords the GP100s to have the ejector rod sit lower in the design. Providing the opportunity for more metal to be used in and around the forcing cone area.

The Ruger DA Revolver design is the most resistant to timing problems that I have seen/experienced. They just keep going and going. The SP101s, while being smaller than K frame Smiths, will be more durable than a k frame Smith.
The SP101 uses the same lock work as a GP100. They are just really modern revolver designs. They're "heyday" was cut short because of the switch, by police, to autos.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
Not trying to hijack and/or distract from the original question in this thread, but is the lockwork difference in a Security Six vs. GP100 the same difference in Redhawk vs. Super Redhawk?

2ndamd

Bearcat
I don't own a RH. But, I think the RH is just like the GP100 except the GP100 has a grip peg vs the RHs grip frame. Well, and the GP100 is smaller of course :)

templehall

Bearcat
No, the Redhawk is different in that it uses a single spring for mainspring and trigger return

2ndamd

Bearcat
It has a triple lock. But the 3rd locking point is the end of the ejector rod like a S&W or Colt. The GP100 and SP101 use a latch on the crane.

357Nut

Bearcat
As far as I can tell they both (Sec Six and GP) has two locking points. The GPs is considered more secure because it isn't out on the end of the extractor rod.
I believe some of the old Smiths that had a lock on both ends of the extractor and the crane were referred to as triple locks.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Own a GP100 and SP101....happy with both.
Owned a Security Six once years ago.

BearStopper,
They are really different
,that said....

The Security Six, JMHO...kicks ass
WISH HAD MINE BACK!

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
GhosT":30vh770c said:
Owned a Security Six once years ago.

The Security Six, JMHO...kicks ass
WISH HAD MINE BACK!

That makes two of us. My first "real" gun was a 2-3/4" blued Security Six that I bought LNIB from a guy I worked with for $175 (this was in 1987). I put a Pachmayr grip on it and I loved that gun. I'd kill to have it back.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
The "Sixes" (Security Six, Service Six and Speed Six) were Ruger's first double action revolvers. Coil springs throughout and very strong.

The Redhawk came a little later and was another unique design. As templehall mentioned, a single spring powers the hammer and the trigger return.

The GP100 and Super Redhawk share the same design and some parts are interchangeable (grips and sights). I don't know if the internal lockwork is interchangeable.

The SP101 lockwork is smaller, but similar to the GP.

All the Ruger double actions disassemble similarly.

Unsubstantiated hearsay says that the Sixes are no longer made because the metal of the frame where the barrel screws in (and the forcing cone is) was too thin between the threads and the ejector rod. That supposedly is why the GPs, SRH, RH and SPs all have offset ejector rods. Bill Ruger said, in as article I read a while back that it was production problems.

I own all four models. The SP makes a great concealed carry revolver. Any of the Sixes make great carry guns. the 2.75" conceals well enough. The 4" and 6" are lighter and smaller than the GP, so carry on a belt just fine. The GP is a tank. Where my Security Six might be showing some after 100,000 rounds or so, the GP will still be going strong at a million. (OK, some hyperbole, but I'm entitled to my rhetoric, right?).
The Redhawk (mine are all 44 Magnums) are strong, but the wood grip with the metal frame is a little unforgiving. The Super Redhawk's grip is so much more comfortable to shoot with heavy loads, and the new Hogue grips Ruger is using now are even more so.

I hope that answers your questions. The Ruger Web Site will let you download owners' manuals for free, and they include blowapart diagrams and disassembly instructions.

Good luck, good shooting. Wear eye protection- and something for your ears.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
The "Sixes" (Security Six, Service Six and Speed Six) were Ruger's first double action revolvers. Coil springs throughout and very strong.

The Redhawk came a little later and was another unique design. As templehall mentioned, a single spring powers the hammer and the trigger return.

The GP100 and Super Redhawk share the same design and some parts are interchangeable (grips and sights). I don't know if any of the the internal lockwork parts are interchangeable.

The SP101 lockwork is smaller, but similar to the GP.

All the Ruger double actions disassemble similarly. Pull the grip(s), remove the trigger, capture the mainspring with the little pin you found inside the grips, use the mainspring strut to compress the plunger that retains the trigger group. Pull the trigger group down and off the frame which will allow the crane to come out when you open the cylinder. There, all field stripped.

Unsubstantiated hearsay says that the Sixes are no longer made because the metal of the frame where the barrel screws in (and the forcing cone is) was too thin between the threads and the ejector rod. That supposedly is why the GPs, SRH, RH and SPs all have offset ejector rods. Bill Ruger said, in as article I read a while back that it was production problems.

I own all four models. The SP makes a great concealed carry revolver. Any of the Sixes make great carry guns. the 2.75" conceals well enough. The 4" and 6" are lighter and smaller than the GP, so carry on a belt just fine. The GP is a tank. Where my Security Six might be showing some wear after 100,000 rounds or so, the GP will still be going strong at a million. (OK, some hyperbole, but I'm entitled to my rhetoric, right?). The Redhawk (mine are all 44 Magnums) is very strong, but the wood grip with the metal frame is a little unforgiving. The Super Redhawk's grip is so much more comfortable to shoot with heavy loads, and the new Hogue grips Ruger is using now are even more so. The extra metal in the frame of the Super Redhawk is probably overkill.

I hope that answers your questions. The Ruger Web Site will let you download owners' manuals for free, and they include blowapart diagrams and disassembly instructions.

Good luck, good shooting. Wear eye protection- and something for your ears.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
BearStopper":e8cszva3 said:
Is the GP100 a totally different revolver or is it just an updated version of the same lockwork/action? I guess what I am wondering is if the Security Six is super rugged like most other Ruger revolvers.
The GP100 replaced the Security Six. The GP100 is stronger than the Security Six. A lot of the basic design of the GP100 is similiar to the Security Six. Easily to take a part. Strong and durable. The Security Six is lighter for carry. The GP100 is heavier and harder to conceal and not comfortable to carry. For home defense I like the Security Six. I own a Police Service Six 4inch barrel. Built in 1985 and a carry revolver it has shot hundreds of 357s and still has a tight lock-up. If your going to use a revolver for outdoors/fielding hunting and such I would get the GP100.

My opinion only

richimo42

Bearcat
I've had my 4" GP100 since 1989. Many thousands of rounds later it still locks up tight, shoots straight and eats anything i feed it. One of my best purchases ever. For that matter I own 5 Ruger rifles and two Ruger revolvers, don't regret a one.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
While I have both, and enjoy both, I have noticed that the crane spindle and cylinder tolerencing is apparently much tighter on my GP100; after cleaning subsequent to a 100 round firing session, the cylinder tends to bind until I add a few drops of lubrication at the front of the cylinder around the spindle.

If I had to pick one to be out in the bush, I'd probably go with my Security Six (plus it's stainless steel-my GP100 is custom blued).

Best, Jon

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I have to say that both are built like tanks. The six series gun is similar in size to the S&W K frame. What is interesting is that the K size guns had forcing cone failure if you fired too many 357 rounds. The GP is very similar in size to the S&W 686. If you are going to carry, I would get the six.