Security Six 6 inch Blue 1980 Question - Pics added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stopped in a local shop and tucked in the back row among a bunch of used guns was this Security Six. $419. Condition rates about 85% only because on a small ding on the base of the grip. The Blue finish is in great shape. On close inspection, I saw very little wear. Original grips and adjustable sights. I pulled back the hammer and test the trigger to discover an outstanding single action pull. I am saying to myself, where could I find a new revolver in this shape and quality for $419. It is sitting there now calling to me. I have never owned one and need to do research. It is a 155 prefix. If anyone wants to take a minute to give me the run down, it would be appreciated. I am considering it as a plinker.

Bill

In my opinion, it would be hard to find a better currently made .357 magnum revolver for $650. I prefer the Security Six to the GP100. $419 is fair but I'd try offering $350.

vulcannut

Bearcat
I have a 6inch stainless Security Six from 1975 and it's one of my favorites. I think $419 is a fair price for it. Without seeing it it's hard to make the call but if I was looking and came across one at $419 I would try for $400 out the door. See if they bite or at least negotiate some.

You see them on Gunbroker go for more and less depends condition. Factor in transfer fee and shipping yeah $419 is in the ball park. I have seen them for much more in my area.

hittman

Staff member
I recently bought a MINT stainless 6-inch Security Six .... no box .... just the gun. Didn't hesitate a second at $500 out the door. Yeah, $419 is very reasonable. There's not a bad thing to say about the Six Series double actions.

The way you describe it "...small ding on the base of the grip. The Blue finish is in great shape"... That is better than 85%, probably closer to 95% if the finish is that good. $419 would be a good price just about anywhere in the US. You might be able to whip out $375 in cash and they bite but if not, $419 would not be a deal breaker for me. Since it is a 155- serial number you can find aftermarket grips fairly easily if you don't like the originals (they are a bit small for my hands, but the Ruger "target" grips, the bigger ones, fit my hands very well).

In my not so humble opinion (I collect the Six series so I am a bit jaded, well maybe a more than just a bit :D ) the Six series revolvers are one of the best all around DA handguns ever made.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I gave $400.00 for my last 2 Security Sixes. A 6" Blue and a 2.75" Stainless. These join my 6" Stainless,,, that I adapted the Redhawk Gold Bead front, V rear. I looked on Gun Broker. They go for higher than that

I just called and offered $400 out the door. They declined stating that the gun just arrived in the store and that based on what they paid for it, it was fairly priced. So, I will let them hold on to it over the 4th of July and I will think about it. At
$419, after tax it would cost $450 out the door.

Bill

hittman

Staff member
FWIW ..... I've had way more NON-buyers remorse than buyers remorse! If ya want it ..... get it done! Or, ask if they'd include shipping to my local FFL and take a credit card! :lol:

choirboy

Bearcat
Just gave $450 for this one. I say buy.
64nrqo.jpg

BTW this was the third Security Six listed locally on Armslist and all for $450. Each sold in a matter of hours. One was a 2 3/4" blue and the other a 6" blue.

hittman

Staff member
choirboy ..... nice gun ...... you know where those grips are for sale?

hittman,
Those are/were OEM on some of the Sixes of the era. I think the only place you might find them now is ebay, Gunbroker or one of the other auction sites. As far as I know, Ruger does not have these any more even as NOS. I like those too, more than the large Ruger grips (which I also like) that you can find more easily.

rman

Bearcat
I would buy it for $419. I have a 4" stainless that I bought new. They're great guns and shoot great too.

choirboy

Bearcat
Those are Goncolo Alves and are tapered at the bottom
The 1985 catalog describes them as semi-target and lists oversized target and rubber grips being available. The oversize target grips were Walnut with checkering. It's my understanding that Sile made them and they are still available with a Sile emblem. You might try gun parts corp., the old Numrich arms.

Found this. https://gunandsurplus.com/Gun-Parts-Accessories/Misc-Gun-Parts/Ruger-Security-6-Oversized-Square-Butt-Grips-Goncalo-Alves

daveg.inkc said:
I gave $400.00 for my last 2 Security Sixes. A 6" Blue and a 2.75" Stainless. These join my 6" Stainless,,, that I adapted the Redhawk Gold Bead front, V rear. I looked on Gun Broker. They go for higher than that

That's a steal on the 2.75" stainless. I just recently bought one for $70 more shipped. I thought that was a good deal. Point of fact it was a good deal.

choirboy said:
Just gave $450 for this one. I say buy.
64nrqo.jpg

BTW this was the third Security Six listed locally on Armslist and all for $450. Each sold in a matter of hours. One was a 2 3/4" blue and the other a 6" blue.

Great looking gun. Good deal on it too. Love to have a pair of grips like that.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Bear Paw Jack said:
daveg.inkc said:

That's a steal on the 2.75" stainless. I just recently bought one for $70 more shipped. I thought that was a good deal. Point of fact it was a good deal.
Thanks Bear Paw, I knew it was a good price, excellent shape. No box, or Ruger grips, wearing Pachmayr's. But, that's easily fixed. Ebay has them, plus I have the small Security Six grips I'm not using. The 6" have the Target grips on them.

Latest posts