Security Six 1980 Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Despite the hot temps here in Arizona, I headed to my local range for a little "Get to know you" session with my 1980 Security Six. I learned a thing or two today and I put my first rounds down range.

Rear sight was way high to start with and I should have seen that before I started shooting. First six rounds were not on paper at 25 yards. I moved the target stand to 15 yards and lowered the rear sight. Noted that the sight adjustment screws seem to be in pristine condition suggesting that they had either never been adjusted or that if adjusted, care was taken.

Adjusted sight down and down again and it is currently nearly bottomed out. At 15 yards, I still aim at 6 o'clock to get hits near the bull. I like this type of set up. I like to hold lower with a target above the front sight. 6 O'clock hold.

Shot 125 rounds of 158 grain Hornady XTP at a mid range load of about 1100 FPS per Hornady manual. I got her hot. Easy to do in 106 degree temps and shooting slow fire single action.

After about 50 rounds I noted that the cylinder was sticking on opening to reload. On closer inspection I noted that the ejector rod was starting to loosen up. I hand tightened it and keep shooting. This required a few more hand tightening as I continued to shoot. (going to give it a good tightening later today after cleaning)

The rear sight is near bottom of the range of adjustment and the windage is generally centered. I like that set up. It really bothers me to have a rear sight hanging off of center too far. Not an issue.

This Security Six seems to shoot a minute of Bunny all day long. Recoil was mild and the grips felt great. Trigger pull was very nice with 90% of my shooting today done on single action. The Double action is long and felt much as I expected it would. While long, it was consistent all the way through.

At the end of my range time, I pulled my target and still had 12 rounds of ammunition in my box. The berm is at 200 yards and I can make out rocks or clumps of dirt that I can target. I often do this to test my extreme long-range handgun shots. I normally note considerable drop and have to hold over. Today, I fired off 12 rounds at the clump of dirt on the berm and got hits or near hits when I did my part. I placed the frond sight right on the clump and did not need to hold over. Wow, this is a long-range shooter for sure.

I would have to say that this is a great shooter and I look forward to more plinking with this new addition to my collection. It is fun to note that this gun was manufactured the year I graduated High School.

Bill

That is a good report.

The Security Six is prone to the extractor loosening, and as you've discovered, it doesn't have to lengthen very much to start binding. One of mine was extremely prone to loosening, no matter how tight I tried to make it. A tiny dab of threadlocker on the threads and I've never had to re tighten it since.

Another thing with Security Sixes. The tiniest kernel of powder under the star will also bind the cylinder. So if you ever experience binding, and you know the extractor is tight, brush out under the star.

You have a great revolver, capable of function and accuracy better than other revolvers costing many times more.

WAYNO.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
My Sec Six is of similar vintage but in stainless. I changed the grips, as the factory grips were much too small for my hand. Untold thousands of rounds down the tube, and not even one failure of any sort out of this revolver. Lock-up still feels like new with zero end shake.

It's got a 3.25 pound trigger break in SA with zero creep. I wouldn't part with this Sec Six for any current production revolver. Pic:

WAYNO, bayou5252,

I am very happy with this revolver. Bayou5252, your grips are very nice. While I like the feel of my OE (small) grips, I would like to feel what those would be like. My lighter 357 loads are mild to shoot so the OE grips feel fine. If I shot some full on 357 loads, I might feel different. The SS with dark grips is nice.

I gave mine a good cleaning and lube this afternoon. Looking forward to my next outing.

Considering how to approach the ejector rod loosening. I think I will follow your advice WAYNO and put a drop of some type of locktite product on the treads. I have some around here. Not a big deal but if it never happened again, that would be fine.

Bill

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Bill -

Keep us posted on your future range trip. It's interesting to follow.

Good luck with your new Sec Six shooter!

Buckeye Bill, I've found the same thing with Sixes as Wayno. I've had my Speed Six bind up with a grain of powder under the star. While you are thinking about it, maybe throw an old tooth brush into your shooting kit.