Security 380 replaces my Security 9 Compact

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dweis

Blackhawk
Picked up a Ruger Security 380 yesterday. It replaces my Security 9 Compact. After two decades of keeping my arthritic hands strong I finally had to give in and go to 380. I loved the Security 9 Compact. It was a great shooter, great size for CC. And with a 15 round magazine in it I always felt secure. I sold the gun today after testing the Security 380 at the range. I put 50 rounds of American Eagle 95 grain FMJ through it to check functionality and begin the break in process. It performed 100 percent with zero failures. I did not asses accuracy, but I will do that next week with 100 rounds. I'll report back after I do that.

The pistol shoots like a Security 9. It has the same action and the trigger is great (IMO). The sights are superb, and much better than on the security 9 models. The blacked out rear slight makes the glowing green front sight pop out.

A nice thing was the pistol fits my DeSantis holsters that I bought for the Security 9 Compact. That saved about $100. I have some Underwood Extreme Defender ammo in 380 that I carried in my LCP II, which I eventually sold because it really punished my hands. I'll be loading the new 380 with that for self-defense preparedness. More to follow in a few days.
267C6038-5A98-4C2D-8B8C-CA1DD237ED55.jpeg

9x19

Hunter
Congrats, I have one, bought for the same reason, though I am not quite there yet, I know it's coming. Mine works just as well as yours.

Glad to hear these are functioning well, can't say same for the SW 380EZ I picked up several years ago. Plan was to have it for the misses, but ran across too many cycling issues. Another at range had purchased same EZ and both had similar issues, I did get to learn what stovepipes look like...

dweis

Blackhawk
I've been thinking about those - do you like the manual safety?
I have no issues with a well designed manual safety. I carried a M1911 for 8 of my 10pm years in the Corps. We had to have the safety engaged and an empty chamber. We cheated on the empty chamber in battle, but we engaged the safety at the half cock setting. With a bit of practice you can sweep the safety off in a split second. Same is true of the Security series pistols. Comes off with the swipe of the thumb, if you choose to engage it. The beauty of the safety is that it takes engaging the safety accidentally is almost impossible be it cannot just be swiped up. You have to apply force to the very rear edge of the safety to engage it. Otherwise it won't move so if you do engage the safety it cannot screw you up.

The Security 9 models were the same. I mostly engaged the safety when hacking in woodlands and tough terrain. I will continue that practice. However, I used to carry my Security 9 Compact in an outer coat pocket in winter. I did engage the safety than because I used no holster.

I have no issues with a well designed manual safety. I carried a M1911 for 8 of my 10pm years in the Corps. We had to have the safety engaged and an empty chamber. We cheated on the empty chamber in battle, but we engaged the safety at the half cock setting. With a bit of practice you can sweep the safety off in a split second. Same is true of the Security series pistols. Comes off with the swipe of the thumb, if you choose to engage it. The beauty of the safety is that it takes engaging the safety accidentally is almost impossible be it cannot just be swiped up. You have to apply force to the very rear edge of the safety to engage it. Otherwise it won't move so if you do engage the safety it cannot screw you up.

The Security 9 models were the same. I mostly engaged the safety when hacking in woodlands and tough terrain. I will continue that practice. However, I used to carry my Security 9 Compact in an outer coat pocket in winter. I did engage the safety than because I used no holster.

Thanks, sir, very much appreciated!
:)

Mike J

Hunter
Glad to hear these are functioning well, can't say same for the SW 380EZ I picked up several years ago. Plan was to have it for the misses, but ran across too many cycling issues. Another at range had purchased same EZ and both had similar issues, I did get to learn what stovepipes look like...
We had the same issue with the 380 EZ I bought my wife. I sent it back to S&W. Came back with the same issue. I called them & asked for new magazine springs. I cut one of the old springs in half & nested the halves in the new springs it worked. I posted about this on the S&W forum & someone there suggested using I think it was LCP II magazine springs. I had to bend the end of the spring a bit to get it to work. The magazines aren't EZ to load anymore but the pistol works.

jbenedetto2

Single-Sixer
My range day did not got so well. MAJOR fail to loads. Had to eject 3-5 rounds per magazine loads. First were 200 rounds of Freedon Munition 100 gr RNFP New. Second were 50 rounds of Norma MHP 85 gr Extreme Terminal Performance. Same as before 3-5 failure to load. Third were 40 rounds of Federal 85 gr PUNCH JHP's. Zero trouble. Fourth were 40 rounds of Sig Sauer 90 gr V-Crown JHP. Zero trouble. A few of the fail to loads I was able to hit the slide and get it into battery. Most had to be ejected and reloaded. I'm hoping its just a break-in thing. Going to try it again Saturday. Wish me luck.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I've found that the 380 JHP ammo to be expensive. Anybody know what brand is cheaper, around .50 cents a round?

jbenedetto2

Single-Sixer

Cholo

Staff member
I'm hoping its just a break-in thing.
Good luck! I doubt it's a break in thing. A good semi auto should shoot over 90% of the different factory ammo just fine. I always start out with a cleaned and properly lubed gun.

Just my 2¢ thoughts on the subject. I'd try either Speer Gold Dots or Hornady Critical Defense. If it chokes on either one I'd say you have a gun problem.

Perhaps a trip back to the Motherland is in order before you waste any more expensive ammo.

larry8

Single-Sixer
In case anyone is wondering, I just bought 300 rounds. 100 jacketed hollow point, and 200 just full jacket. All for $120 at a gun shop here in SC. So thats about .40 cents per round. All name brand. I guess if you look hard enough and long enough, you can find it for the right price.

jbenedetto2

Single-Sixer
Took my FTF Security 380 to Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday to see what they could do. I have their warranty. They polished the feed ramp, cleaned and lubed it. Going to the range later and will find out if it's fixed. If not, they will ship it to Ruger. Hope polishing the feed ramp fixes the FTF problem.

bandaidmd

Bearcat
Hmmn, First range trip with my wifes ez 9 was the same as yours with the 380

jbenedetto2

Single-Sixer
Picked up Security 380 from Sportsman's Warehouse on Friday 3/24/2023. I thought it would take longer. Been under the weather all week and haven't gone to the range to see if it's fixed. I'll update when I hit the range. Another surprising thing was, I sent a Taurus TX22 for fail to lock back on last round. Thought I wouldn't see that one til maybe June or July. It was also there when I picked up the Ruger. Could this be the new Taurus turn around time?